Notices

Old 10-12-2020, 05:45 AM   #571
Cabrito
cabrón

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Mostly Red with big Orange spot
Name: Michael G
I'll put a few more pics from day two. I'm hoping john has the Money Shots of the cast iron cook off they had..

Rolling out of camp

It can take the power of four men to pick up the GS..

We're riding up from way down there.

Then Tim came down with Craig.

Cinncinatus charging the hill

Bchunks

John looking good!

This again..

Then this

Mostly though it was this
Old 10-12-2020, 06:51 AM   #572
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
wonderful pics, Cabrito!

see if these pics work, this am:

turned out that campfires were OK in developed BLM campgrounds. Cabrito, bananachunks and Cincinnatus, enjoying coffee Sunday morning, next to Cache Creek ...

when we were planning this overnight, Cincinnatus encouraged me to get outside my comfort zone, and make an effort to do more to feed myself besides boiling water ... he brought his skillet, too, and a beautifully marinated strip-steak ... those are Cabrito’s hot-links, and a pre-baked sweet potato in Cincinnatus’s pan ...

tried my hand at using my frying pan as a Dutch oven ... managed not to burn our Trader Joe’s cinnamon buns Sunday morning.
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:55 AM   #573
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Name: Daniel
WOAH man I missed some good food!!!

Good job you guys! Cinncinatus is a champ for not giving up and making it down and up that road on the fully loaded GS!

Well I think I have my answer about the dunlop trailmax mission vs the motoz tractionator adventure/pirelli scorpion rally combo. If I was going for longevity then maybe the dunlop but for offroad traction I'm sticking with my current set up. I'll accept road noise and shorter life to have the big bike do its thing properly in the dirt. It felt stable and planted except when I didn't want it to be!

MORE PICS PLEASE!

Last edited by 1962siia; 10-12-2020 at 06:57 AM..
1962siia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #574
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia View Post
WOAH man I missed some good food!!!

Good job you guys! Cinncinatus is a champ for not giving up and making it down and up that road on the fully loaded GS!

Well I think I have my answer about the dunlop trailmax mission vs the motoz tractionator adventure/pirelli scorpion rally combo. If I was going for longevity then maybe the dunlop but for offroad traction I'm sticking with my current set up. I'll accept road noise and shorter life to have the big bike do its thing properly in the dirt. It felt stable and planted except when I didn't want it to be!
+1, Cincinnatus and Titus58 were both ADV AF ... I’d still be down at Buck Island if I had been riding the GS-A or the V-Strom ...

tempted to try the Trailmax, but probably lots of wisdom in the idea of sticking with DOT knobbies for me ... old ADV joke is “tires don’t make me a better rider, they make me a more successful rider ...”

wonderful to see you and your cool KTM ADV 950 on Saturday, 1962siia!

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 10-12-2020 at 07:11 AM..
Old 10-12-2020, 07:15 AM   #575
1962siia
Veteran

Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
“tires don’t make me a better rider, they make me a more successful rider ...”
Very true! Always good to see you too John! Thanks for showing me the way to Buck Island. I see more ADV exploration in this area in my near future. I really had a blast on this ride.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #576
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
I'm wondering if TKC80 or Heidenau tires would help the GS to stay upright. Although I use Pilot Road 5 and stay strictly on pavement.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #577
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
I'm wondering if TKC80 or Heidenau tires would help the GS to stay upright. Although I use Pilot Road 5 and stay strictly on pavement.
for me, it's a question of running out of proper technique in hairpins that are steep, narrow and loose/rocky/rutted.

I get scared, roll off, lose momentum and fall over ... it's like clockwork.

so, in other words, it really does not matter what tire I'm on at that point, because the issue for me is mostly loss of confidence, loss of momentum and loss of balance, not really loss of traction. idk.

as an example of technique being more important than tire choice on Sunday, Titus58 basically did the same descent and climb on a big, heavy streetbike with street tires ...

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 10-12-2020 at 02:32 PM..
Old 10-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #578
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ 1%

Some of my pics from our outlaw/unofficial combination camping/riding BARF Adventure Riding subforum ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd. sojurn this past weekend:

masked up and social distanced at the Mercury Cafe in Lower Haight at 9:30 am. pre-Gen KLR, Honda CB500X and KTM 1090 ...

We were a total of eight riders at the Starbucks near Suisun Valley Road at 10am ... that's wheel_muse, who joined us on his sweet Honda NC750X DCT, in the center of the picture. We had two brothers join us on their late model Honda 250 dual-sport bikes, who had seen our recent posts and wanted to go check out Buck Island before returning home on Saturday night.

This Second Sunday camp/ride combo was kind of fun, because people could mix and match parts of the weekend with their schedules or riding style ... 1962siia also was a surprise addition on his mighty, blue, KTM 950 ...

Cincinnatus, leading the charge up Buck Ridge on his mighty BMW GS-A.

the gang at the top of Buck Ridge ... bananachunks, Cincinnatus, Cabrito and 1962siia ...

Cabrito and the mighty KTM 1090 in action ...

1962siia in action on his mighty KTM 950, in the correct model color.

the mad plunge down to Cache Creek ...

Buck Island, which is really sort of in an oxbow bend of Cache Creek. We camped under the trees in the left corner of the photo ... Buck Island is actually the oxbow insert with the dirt roads on it, outside of the pic a bit, and on the near side of the river.

We were super-stoked to have the place to ourselves, despite being a Saturday night on a long Columbus Day weekend ... super lucky.

bananachunks and Cabrito enjoying the campsite next to Cache Creek.

Cincinnatus, looking for the trout with his cool, telescoping fly-rod.

looking for some small mouth bass, but not finding any, with my old fiberglass Orvis pack-rod and spinning reel ...

took a dip in Cache Creek on Saturday evening to wash away the fire road dust ...

Cincinnatus encouraged us to live better by doing more than simply boiling water to feed ourselves, like I usually do. "Life is too short not to eat well," he said, and he is in the right of it.

Cincinnatus also brought his skillet and and expertly marinated NY strip steak, Cabrito had hot links, and I had a simple NY strip, only seasoned with salt and pepper. We ate like kings, compared to my usual gas-station fare. I tried using the lid on my frying pan as a dutch oven and took a stab at crescent rolls on Saturday night.

we met up with our BARF Second Sunday Dual-Sport Ride participant and Oakland Motorcycle Club Member, Craig on Sunday morning, riding his mighty KTM 1090.

We ended our ADV adventure at the Zero Ton Causeway and Hwy 16 on Sunday afternoon, having interacted at some point with a total of ten BARFers ... thirteen BARFers, if you count Cary and Kalle (and Schnitzel!) who came to see us off at the Mercury Cafe on Saturday morning ...

super fun, and can't wait 'til next time ...

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 10-12-2020 at 06:03 PM..
Old 10-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #579
1962siia
Veteran

Nice pics! Thanks man!
Old 10-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #580
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
Great photos, both yours and Cabrito's and report! I especially like this one, it has some je ne sais quoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

Cincinnatus, leading the charge up Buck Ridge on his mighty BMW GS-A.
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:22 PM   #581
Titus58
Need moar dirt

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: new-to-me 07 Vstrom (yeah baby), '06 Husky te610
Name: Tim
F***ing Awesome ADV ride on Sunday

It was great to ride with c_wanger2000, and to meet up with old and new barfers, including SFMCJohn, Cabrito, banana_chunks and Cinncinatus.

The "detour" off of Reiff-Rayhouse down to Buck Island was a challenge to say the least on the big heavy bikes; found myself jonesing for one of the KTM1090s with good dirt tires (and better dirt skills ) more than once! I was running 80/20 tires that I had not ridden in the dirt, and hadn't been out on the vstrom in dirt for quite a while...was definitely feeling a bit rusty, and hesitant on my tires. More than once on the way down to Buck Island I was ready to call it a day and head back up to Cache Creek, but I perservered...I'd made it this far and really wanted to get to Buck Island More than once I was able to recover and ride a fish-tailing path out of the soft stuff, amazed at my good fortune (and disappointed that no one else saw me ).

Thanks to all for helping me pick up the strom on that uphill; funny how you can plan and successfully execute the known challenging spots, to then brain fart/lose focus on a not too difficult uphill. Overall, I had a F***ing blast and got quite the workout wrestling my piggy vstrom throughout the day--and got lots of great feedback on other tire choices

I think Cinncinatus summed it up best; it was an awesome day that was going to require a hot soak and a cold beverage when he got home (and he called his wife to help prepare for his return; what a partner!).

Was a great outing all-around, with wonderful peeps and fun and challenging riding...can't wait to do it again...we need to come up with some other good locations for one-day ADV adventure rides

T

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt. - Margaret Atwood

Big Bikes on ADV/DS Berryessa Ride

Ride Report - Sheet Iron on my Vee Part 2 Part 3

Evolution Motorcycles

Last edited by Titus58; 10-12-2020 at 08:30 PM..
Titus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:30 PM   #582
Titus58
Need moar dirt

Contributor + + + 1%

and my one photo - c_wanger2000 at the now infamous Buck Island Resort

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FfQ...ew?usp=sharing

T

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt. - Margaret Atwood

Evolution Motorcycles
Old 10-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #583
Titus58
Need moar dirt

Contributor + + + 1%

and my one photo - c_wanger2000 at the now infamous Buck Island Resort

T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BuckIs_Oct2020v3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	538020  

Evolution Motorcycles
Old 10-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #584
1962siia
Veteran

Nice. Sorry I missed riding with you guys. Count me in for more big bike day rides. I had a blast ripping around on the 950. Ready for more ASAP!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:27 AM   #585
Cabrito
cabrón

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Mostly Red with big Orange spot
Name: Michael G
SFMCjohn, your pics are awesome! I can't see your first set for some reason so I'm doubling down on some of the food shots..

A first for me is Moto Camping with Cast Iron pans..

Mmm...

My Bacon Cheddar Pork sausages had so much promise, but they were only so-so..

John killed it on the dutch oven and the cinnamon rolls were so good in the am..