Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Old 03-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #16
jacob11379
Banned

Motorcycles: Race 2017 ZX10RR, Track 13 ZX10R
Name: jacob
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
One other thing. This ain't MotoGP. Don't waste your time going back to mid seat between 1 and 2, or 6,7,8 and 9. Just keep your butt off the bike.
I dont know what the deal is but when im going faster through those sections, especially if I have someone(s) to follow I do it and when im going slower I dont.

Nevertheless its another bad habit ive picked up!

The good news is I have a lot of time that can be made up with some simple corrections...

I got school coming and then back to T-hill with PTT mid April, itll be fun to see how things progress throughout this year....
jacob11379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #17
jaybocc2
o lento

AMA #3692962

Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob11379 View Post
I dont know what the deal is but when im going faster through those sections, especially if I have someone(s) to follow I do it and when im going slower I dont.

Nevertheless its another bad habit ive picked up!

The good news is I have a lot of time that can be made up with some simple corrections...

I got school coming and then back to T-hill with PTT mid April, itll be fun to see how things progress throughout this year....
You go faster following a fast person because you have less to think about. You just do what they do without having to spend as much cognitive time gathering all the info for yourself such as ref points and when to brake/gas/turn-in.
AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #18
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
following someone not-so-closely also gets your eyes up, which has many benefits. this is the main reason y a tow in qualifying sessions helps me.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #19
jacob11379
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
following someone not-so-closely also gets your eyes up, which has many benefits. this is the main reason y a tow in qualifying sessions helps me.
I know I do not have the best vision on the track and catch myself looking down.

But when I did the flat track super camp last weekend it was absolutely horrendous the amount of time I spent telling myself not to look down and still doing it.

I need to ride around with a neck brace or something!
Old 03-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #20
hypergirl
AFM #990

AMA #: 2831239
Contributor +++++++++++++ 1%
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: I have two!:)
Name: Sara
Old 03-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #21
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybocc2 View Post
You go faster following a fast person because you have less to think about. You just do what they do without having to spend as much cognitive time gathering all the info for yourself such as ref points and when to brake/gas/turn-in.
Which works great until the person you're following is suddenly taking an, ah, "alternate line"

CMRA & AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #22
Tumbleweed
rollin' right along.....

Motorcycles: Always room for additions...
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybocc2 View Post
Well! ^^^^ That's the best simplified explanation I've seen. 'Splains much to my moto-brain. Tnx
AFM #970
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #23
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
Well! ^^^^ That's the best simplified explanation I've seen. 'Splains much to my moto-brain. Tnx
Ken Hill says something about that. Many riders prefer to follow, some to lead.

You can see followers and leaders in any MotoGp race. Valentino is a good example. He's a terrible qualifier and known for starting back in the grid. Then he chases everyone down from behind.

Jorge is the opposite, he desperately wants to get a good qualifying so that he can start from the front. If he gets in front, he runs away often, and he's known for it.

Different strokes. The guys following aren't bad riders.

Don't do this in an AFM race.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #24
hypergirl
AFM #990

AMA #: 2831239
Contributor +++++++++++++ 1%
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: I have two!:)
Name: Sara
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Ken Hill says something about that. Many riders prefer to follow, some to lead.

You can see followers and leaders in any MotoGp race. Valentino is a good example. He's a terrible qualifier and known for starting back in the grid. Then he chases everyone down from behind.

Jorge is the opposite, he desperately wants to get a good qualifying so that he can start from the front. If he gets in front, he runs away often, and he's known for it.

Different strokes. The guys following aren't bad riders.

Don't do this in an AFM race.
Thank you for this. I love to chase/follow. Is the funnest thing ever. Have always thought this made me somewhat “less than,” but now I shall kick that negative thought to the curb.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #25
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypergirl View Post
Thank you for this. I love to chase/follow. Is the funnest thing ever. Have always thought this made me somewhat “less than,” but now I shall kick that negative thought to the curb.
Not at all. I'm a leader. My fastest laps are always when there's someone behind me (that I want to keep back there) and clear track in front of me. That's when I'm far more likely to put the hammer down. No one behind me - nah, I'll get into cruising mode, but I'm not a great follower. And the last time I decided to let someone pull me into some corners, he ended taking one of the - ah - alternative - routes around the track LOL (thankfully I noticed in time to not join him).

Disadvantage of this is that I'm unlikely to get drug into going faster. I'm not going to learn a ton following someone else or trying to do what they're doing. This can really limit how quickly I can learn things. The advantage is that when I DO learn something, it is 100% repeatable and I can have very consistent lap times.

Someone who can do both well would have it made!

CMRA & AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS

Last edited by Honey Badger; 03-09-2019 at 10:23 AM..
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #26
Gravisman
Rookie

Motorcycles: ZX-6R RSV4
Name: Gravisman
For my part, my fastest laps are with clear pavement in front of me. When I’m trailing I can get distracted by the other rider, target fixate, or just take non-ideal lines looking for a gap.

As far as vision goes, the best thing thing for me was when Keith Code put stars on my helmet. The idea was I should try to keep my vision wide enough to see both stars in my peripheral at all times. If ever I realize I can’t see the stars, then I know something has caused my vision to narrow, and I’m not seeing the whole track properly. So whether in front or in back I try to focus on keeping my vision wide enough that I can see my turn points and the next reference point simultaneously going into every corner. That’s how I keep my eyes up.
Gravisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:09 AM   #27
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob11379 View Post
Good deal ill take a look at those. I got 4 days off CSS coming up in a few weeks so hopefully I can get the corrections I need there.

I learned HVAC the wrong way and spent 5 years relearning the proper way! That line resonates with me well...
Jacob: Find one coach and stick with them. Don't keep coming here and asking a bunch of people you haven't ridden with or know their quality level what's what with the entirety of your riding. I say that not to be cruel, but because I know you're seeking improvement in a short(er) period of time and that can only be done at the track and with $$. You'll get good responses here, but you'll also get bad responses (for your riding style). The only way to tell how you ride and your weaknesses is really, to ride with you.

So that being said, while the internet can fix small problems, I don't think it'll be able to fix your bad habits in short time and without confusion. All I can add is:

1. Breath
2. Keep your eyes up and moving. Practice this driving to work.
3. pay attention to tension. Don't worry about body positioning; worry about your body tension
4. Video. Video is great for when you've improved to compare and see where you've improved. It's not the best for online commentary when it's onboard.

Other than that, schedule some trackdays and find someone to ride with. It'll be the best thing you've done yet. If you need names, we know the right people here, depending on budget.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #28
jacob11379
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Jacob: Find one coach and stick with them. Don't keep coming here and asking a bunch of people you haven't ridden with or know their quality level what's what with the entirety of your riding. I say that not to be cruel, but because I know you're seeking improvement in a short(er) period of time and that can only be done at the track and with $$. You'll get good responses here, but you'll also get bad responses (for your riding style). The only way to tell how you ride and your weaknesses is really, to ride with you.

So that being said, while the internet can fix small problems, I don't think it'll be able to fix your bad habits in short time and without confusion. All I can add is:

1. Breath
2. Keep your eyes up and moving. Practice this driving to work.
3. pay attention to tension. Don't worry about body positioning; worry about your body tension
4. Video. Video is great for when you've improved to compare and see where you've improved. It's not the best for online commentary when it's onboard.

Other than that, schedule some trackdays and find someone to ride with. It'll be the best thing you've done yet. If you need names, we know the right people here, depending on budget.
I think this school should give me a good idea as to how far I am interested in going. The mock races, the intensity of racing, race lines and starts, race passing. While on a much smaller scale. These things will either light more of a fire or ill decide its not for me.

I have been doing forums for about a decade. Several times went from new guy to the pointy end as they say. Even MODded for about 6 years.

Thanks for advice