BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Non Moto Activities

Old 05-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #466
Beauregard
Aut Agere Aut Mori

Contributor +++ 1%
1%

Location: Thereís a corner of my heart that is yours. And I donít mean for now, or until Iíve found somebody else, I mean forever. I mean that whether I fall in love a thousand times over or once or never again, thereíll always be a part that belongs to you.
Motorcycles: elude me.
Name: Guess....
Not Wouk related (but yeah, a real loss- but his literary contribution will live forever) I'm reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. So gnarly. I don't know if I'll make it through being that I have a son the boy's age and it's pretty tough to feel the feelings the book brings up.
Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #467
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
So in the last couple months I've finished the entire Stormlight Archives plus Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind + Wise Man's Fear.

Both series were fantastic and I'd highly recommend them, but it's not for the light reader - each book is ~1200 pages.

Stormlight Archive:
  • The Way of Kings
  • Words of Radiance
  • Oathbringer

So maybe 6,000 pages total.

Next gonna take a break from fantasy/fiction and work my way through Team of Teams by General McChrystal, and Creativity, Inc by Ed Catmull.
Can't believe I missed this post. Read both books and hate that I am in Song of Fire and Ice mode waiting for the series to complete. I mean what is it these days with authors they get these series started and then just say fuck it and take 9 years between books. Wheel of Time was another one thank god Brian Sanderson finished it but it is probably not the same as what Jordan would have written but at least there was an end.

While looking for the Kingkiller Chronicles books because my library has a bad habit of not carrying the full series I looked online and found it for presale at GoodReads and the response to the comments and 5 star reviews of the book are hilarious. See below.

"While it's nice to see folks out there giving this book five stars, and in some cases even reviewing it, I'll admit that I'm kinda puzzled.

After thinking it over for a while, I've realized there's only one explanation for this:

Time travelers love my books.

This is strangely reassuring, as it lets me know that, eventually, I do finish my revisions, and the book turns out good enough so that I still have a following out there in the big ball of wibbly-wobbly.... timey-wimey.... stuff that I like to think of as the future.

I would also like to say, future readers, that I appreciate your taking time to read and review my books. It's really flattering knowing that even with time-travel technology at your disposal, you'd rather read my stuff and mention it here on goodreads, rather than, say, hunt dinosaurs, get drunk with da Vinci, or pants Hitler.

Secondly, I'd like to say if you're The Doctor, and you're reading this, I would make an excellent traveling companion. I know you normally tend to hang out with pretty young women and robot dogs. And honestly? I respect that.

Still, I bring certain things to the table. Humor, witty banter, and a beard that will allow me to blend in seamlessly with any pre-industrial Germanic culture. I'm also an excellent kisser and play a mean game of Settlers of Catan.

Just throwing it out there.

Lastly, if any of you happen to have a digital copy of the book you'd like to e-mail me, I'd really appreciate it. I'd love to see the five-star version of the book, because right now, the one I'm toiling away at is about a three an a half-in my opinion. It would save me a lot of work if I could just skip to the end and publish it.

Sincerely yours,

pat"
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:41 PM   #468
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: Ď18 Alta EX006, Ď17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
You guys are such intellectuals.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:51 PM   #469
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
Not Wouk related (but yeah, a real loss- but his literary contribution will live forever) I'm reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. So gnarly. I don't know if I'll make it through being that I have a son the boy's age and it's pretty tough to feel the feelings the book brings up.
I once sampled a bit of it, but it looked too gnarly for my taste. I may give it another try.

OTOH, his No Country for Old Men was gnarly but excellent, as was the Coens' movie.

BTW, Beau, if you happen upon this post, check out my post a few pages back about Layer Cake the book. You recommended the movie to me, and I liked it. I think you'll like the book, too, which is a bit more darkly humorous.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #470
Beauregard
Aut Agere Aut Mori

Contributor +++ 1%
1%

Location: Thereís a corner of my heart that is yours. And I donít mean for now, or until Iíve found somebody else, I mean forever. I mean that whether I fall in love a thousand times over or once or never again, thereíll always be a part that belongs to you.
Motorcycles: elude me.
Name: Guess....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
BTW, Beau, if you happen upon this post, check out my post a few pages back about Layer Cake the book. You recommended the movie to me, and I liked it. I think you'll like the book, too, which is a bit more darkly humorous.
Dan your timing is impeccable, I re-watched L\"Layer Cake" just last week... I will buy the book right now.

Hope all is well with you my friend!

[EDIT] Just bought it.

Last edited by Beauregard; 06-01-2019 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: ....books FTW!
Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #471
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Ď18 Alta EX006, Ď17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Ruth Bader Ginsberg is disturbingly brilliant and super cool. If there were only more humans like her.

She just released an autobiography, “My Own Words”
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...4-my-own-words

Must read. Especially young Americans.

Terms of Service:

Old 06-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #472
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Teaser, written by Ruthie the 13 year old
“One People.
The war has left a bloody trail and many deep wounds not too easily healed. Many people have been left with scars that take a long time to pass away. We must never forget the horrors which our brethren were subjected to in Bergen-Belsen and other Nazi concentration camps. Then, too, we must try hard to understand that for righteous people hate and prejudice are neither good occupations nor fit companions. Rabbi Alfred Bettleheim once said: “Prejudice saves us a painful trouble, the trouble of thinking.” In our beloved land families were not scattered, communities not erased nor our nation destroyed by the ravages of the World War.

Yet, dare we be at ease? We are part of a world whose unity has been almost completely shattered. No one can feel free from danger and destruction until the many torn threads of civilization are bound together again. We cannot feel safer until every nation, regardless of weapons or power, will meet together in good faith, the people worthy of mutual association...”

Edit https://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com...ogue-bulletin/

Terms of Service:

Last edited by Butch; 06-07-2019 at 08:59 PM..