BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > 1Rider

Old 05-29-2019, 08:34 PM   #31
maidenfan84
Rookie

Motorcycles: Royal Enfield Continental GT
Name:
Yes, a left turn where there's 2 lanes going left (one can also do u-turn)....sometimes I see people cut up all the way to the front, but I was thinking that you can only split on a dotted line going straight, not in turns. Besides, like you said, it would be too crazy with people turning the cars even if you did get up to the front while traffic is stopped.

Thanks for the reply and enlightenment
maidenfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:55 AM   #32
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenfan84 View Post
Yes, a left turn where there's 2 lanes going left (one can also do u-turn)....
I've only split to the front between left turn lanes when traffic was heavy and I was able to get past ten or more cars. I've never bothered for just two or three. It's not all that hard to take off from the intersection faster than the two cars in front.

And I'm still occasionally missing the ability to split lanes here.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #33
BayAreaF4i

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda cbr 600 F4i
Name: Nick B.
Thanks for the great info DataDan. Have been riding for about a year now but have not had to do a long commute where splitting lanes was of importance. As of late i will be commuting from Antioch to Union City so this thread will come in handy!
BayAreaF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #34
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan

youtu.be/p_ephTqS8KQ

This is one of the best lane-splitting how-to videos I've seen. It demonstrates many of the tips in this thread.

The woman doing the riding and the talking, a moto-journalist at Ultimate Motorcycling, has a great attitude about splitting that contributes to a lower stress commute.

Things to look for: Speed differential--she keeps it down to +10mph (do the 1-second count). Caution near gaps. Caution around trucks. Caution near junctions. Courtesy to fellow splitters and fellow commuters. And much more.

Last edited by DataDan; 06-21-2019 at 08:37 AM..
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #35
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
As always, your contributions are valued and appreciated Mr. Dan.

Although I have 30,000 miles of lanesplitting experience while attending school in LA, it was several years ago. Because returning riders make up a good chunk of statistics, I am approaching things like I am a new rider. This video does a great job at (re)introducing best practices and I look forward to implementing them.
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #36
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
A bad place to split

A 29-year woman on an R6 was killed yesterday while splitting on this freeway connector in Rancho Cucamonga:

The ramp connects westbound I-210 to southbound I-15. To the left is the I-15 mainline, to the right is the eastbound-southbound connector. Almost simultaneously, it narrows from two lanes to one, merges with the other connector, and joins the mainline. Talk about lane-change hell.

So far, what has been reported is that while splitting the two-lane ramp, she hit a Corolla and was thrown into the path of a truck in the mainline #4 lane.

Lane changes are a primary factor in splitting crashes. And places where they are more likely--such as where two lanes merge into one and where roadways converge--are the most dangerous for lane splitters.

RIP rider.