BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Old 06-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #46
Charmed
Inbound @ this time, over

BARF Recruiter
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: SV650 track bike, 2008 DRZ440SM, 1982 Suzuki GS1100GL, Bianchi San Lorenzo
Name: BEEF
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
+1 on not listening to music as you learn.

I still don't actually. I have tried it and it was OK, but I focus better on what I need to when I can hear the bike, the wind and not have a cool tune influence how I ride.
But you totally sing Black Tiger when you're riding "The Pace", right?

Fully triggered
Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #47
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
But you totally sing Black Tiger when you're riding "The Pace", right?
And "Contagious" when in a 24 hour middle of the night race track dog fight!
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #48
kneedraggeroldy
Rookie

Motorcycles: FJR1300 R6 KLX300R
Name: Michael
Oh man..I am a +1 for not listening to music while learning and similar to Budman....if surrounded by cars when slabbing, no music, some when light traffic or cruising on a backroad and when I get to twistys I find turning it off helps me concentrate and stay away from the tendency to wick it up when a good hair metal anthem comes on

Not a fan of earplugs on the rode either...track ya maybe
kneedraggeroldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #49
chukwu

Motorcycles: Ninja 250 2009
Name:
How loud do u think we have are music on.. welp when I ride as I said I barely hear my music only the cars around me.. and earplugs protect your ears.. thats insane to me if ur riding with all that wind in ur ears for long periods of time. I’ve never heard of ear plug or music leading to any accidents but if u find some kool.. but my fear sky rockets in the silence plus I listen to music everywhere in go if that means anything lol. I never though of actual singing to be less tense but as a update. Iit works. Rapping and singing along and even replying to podcasts made me feel a lot less tense on the bike around cars.

Last edited by chukwu; 06-13-2019 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Grammar
chukwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #50
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
A

For new riders, this is almost always caused by the failure to look farther / far enough ahead. The sensation of (high) speed will diminish if you get your head and eyes up and look at the horizon and not down at the road surface. Once it appears that you aren't speeding, you will likely relax your grip and stress level will drop too.
Best advice in this thread. Start with this while driving your car and start training on how to look "around" objects in your path and keeping your eyes scanning as far as you can see. It's a skill that will leave you if you don't practice it and it's the #1 skill for riding quickly and confidently. It applies to almost all sports where speed is a byproduct.

Eyes up whenever you're engaged in an activity where speed is present. You can even talk to yourself in your helmet to remind yourself. EYES UP.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #51
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Earplugs are an absolute must. Hearing damage WILL occur due to wind noise.
And I have witnessed crashes due almost entirely to the rider listening to some music and getting distracted. Like I said, to some it's not an issue. To others it can be a MAJOR issue.

Mad
Old 06-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #52
chukwu

Motorcycles: Ninja 250 2009
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
Earplugs are an absolute must. Hearing damage WILL occur due to wind noise.
And I have witnessed crashes due almost entirely to the rider listening to some music and getting distracted. Like I said, to some it's not an issue. To others it can be a MAJOR issue.

Mad
I agree I can image riding with out wat plugs.. and music when I ride never over powered other environments like sound of cars my own bike horns I image the music whole have to be ear bleeding loud to completely distracted the rider.. in my course classes they never stated as a issue. But I guess itís possible..
chukwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #53
MapleRoad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger XC 800
Name:
It's all fun and games until the rider starts thinking he can reenact the Wayne's World rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody, forgetting he's on the bike. I've known people who could be distracted enough for that. Thankfully none of them ride. Unfortunately, they all drive.
MapleRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #54
kneedraggeroldy
Rookie

Motorcycles: FJR1300 R6 KLX300R
Name: Michael
[QUOTE=Maddevill;10346304]Earplugs are an absolute must. Hearing damage WILL occur due to wind noise.

If I was riding a sport bike all the time (like my R6) in lieu of the big pig (with after market windscreen) I could see wearing plugs. I also find in playing music, either speakers in my helmet or ear buds (ewww, really do not like that) the volume to hear the music tends to be high, so not sure it is good for the ears either. But just my preference. Happy riding
kneedraggeroldy is offline   Reply With Quote