Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #16
Akira-R
Veteran

Founding Member
Barf Brick Contributor

Motorcycles: 07 rsvr, 04 nsr50
Name:
That's one hell of a gamble. Haven't even seen how his recovery will be before dishing out that cash. I've heard reports it's 11.5 mil/yr.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #17
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira-R View Post
That's one hell of a gamble. Haven't even seen how his recovery will be before dishing out that cash. I've heard reports it's 11.5 mil/yr.
His injury isn't that serious and groin surgery is typically very successful. Groin problems that linger are typically those where the player doesn't elect to have surgery.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #18
Akira-R
Veteran

Founding Member
Barf Brick Contributor

Name:
Braun traded to the Flyers for draft picks.

I guess it makes sense, that we will need cheap kids to fill the roster out with the cap space.

I really liked Braun....a lot. I think he was the ideal pair for Pickles.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #19
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Braun was solid, but unspectacular. The talent levels of the young players coming up these days is so high that I think a veteran that doesn't distinguish himself is going to have trouble keeping a roster spot without taking a pay cut. The minute Karlsson signed, Braun had to go. Likely Donskoi and a few others as well.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #20
uclaktsai
Veteran

Motorcycles: '97 VFR
Name:
Wow. I don't even know how to process this. Half of me is very excited, while the other half is concerned. I think EK65 is worth the $11.5M hit. But 8 years really scares me. We're going to be a team of comprised of half All Stars and half AHLers lol. If we can win a cup or two in this span, it will all be worth it. If not, this is deal will be hanging around our necks for the next decade.

Sucks to hear about JB. Every year he's been getting better and more reliable. Underrated shutdown Dman. He will be missed in SJ and I wish him the best in Philly.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #21
Bowling4Bikes
Steee-riiike!

Contributor + BB

Motorcycles: '02 Ducati ST4s
Name: D
Heed's play somewhat mitigates the loss of Braun, but yeah he was a pretty solid dman.

So we'll be the fans of the team who is nervous about EK's groin, lol. Man, I hope it heals up well.

Jumbo says he's coming back. Timo, LeBanc and others received qualifying offers. Everything points to Pavs getting a new deal.

Looks like they're getting the band back together.
Bowling4Bikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #22
Akira-R
Veteran

Founding Member
Barf Brick Contributor

Name:
Pavs has/had meetings with Tampa and Dallas....
Old 06-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #23
*Tina*
Hello

2007 Barfie Winner
Top Percent Poster
Contributor ++ BB

Motorcycles: Honduh
Name: T
Quote:
And thats fine. He can get those nice, fancy meals and sign with us at the end of the day.

V4 says: seems like a lotta confusions, misdirected info,speculations, and...
oh wait..
this is teh BARF...
that's normal around here...

compassrose says: "BARF: We're not your shoulder to cry on if you're a fucking idiot"
*Tina* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #24
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Quote:
Lee ver ij. I don't think he's going anywhere. The Sharks aren't going to let him go easy. The only way he leaves is if he thinks he can jump to a team that's very close to a Cup. But I don't know if he'd be quite the same player in another system.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #25
Ducky_Fresh
Treasure Hunter

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + +
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: Virtual Moto
Name: Ev
If I'm DW, I am not resigning Jumbo or Pavs, for much, if anything at all. They have two problems:

1. Not fast enough for today's NHL, as witnessed by even the 2016 cup run they made where the Sharks weren't fast enough to keep up with that young speedy skilled Penguins team.

2. Neither are physical enough to be contenders at the C position. Sure, Jumbo can command HIS space, but he can't really disrupt or control beyond that. Pavs is a great tipper, scrapper, but I don't think his game is physical enough either - we saw that there is a new dawn of the NHL post 2016/17 now which is not only speed and skill, but PHYSICALITY as demonstrated by the Blues and Bruins to get to the end. Unfortunately, while DW learned from the 2016 loss and tried to build a younger team with faster, skill players as illustrated by LeBanc, Donskoi, etc, they still aren't all that fast or physical compared to others. Timo is a model example of what we need. If we could replicate him for all 12 positions we'd win the cup easy. Hard to find in today's NHL though.

I think the EK deal was spot on. Run 2 top D pair hard, plus DW has a nice pool of talent to pick from and develop. We are seeing that hockey has so much depth in it's farm system and the NHL is just now starting to tap in to it in different ways.

Look at VGK as an example of hidden talent emerging. Karlsson is a 3rd or 4th liner, then comes to VGK as a top 6 forward and is instantly a superstar and leading goal scorer in the NHL. How could this be possible? Because we leave old stagnant talent in place because of politics and name brand recognition, and that is exactly what is happening with Thornton and Pavelski.

If you want Thorton for $1m as 4th line center, OK.
If you want Pavelski for $2.5m as 3rd line center, OK.

Otherwise, say goodbye to them if you want your team, the Sharks, to win a cup.
Ducky_Fresh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #26
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

You do know Pavelski led the team in goals and was 14th in the entire league in that category, right? He has amazing hands and he's a pure scorer. No way is he a third line center in this league, even with his skating deficiencies. He's averaged over 30 goals for the last six seasons and he only missed 8 games over that entire time. He's the very definition of a dependable, iron man captain.

Thornton is a 3rd/4th liner at this point, but a very good one at that. He put up 51 points centering the 3rd and 4th lines this past season. His numbers were almost equivalent to Kane's and he was +12 better in +/-. Jumbo can still be effective in the NHL in a 3rd/4th line role, which he understands. He's also a great leader.

I don't think either of these guys are hurting our chances for the Cup. I'd be looking harder at Kane and our goaltenders if I were looking for areas that more needs to be produced for the cap hit they're costing us.

Pavs is going to command $6-9 mil per year on the open market.

Last edited by Archimedes; 06-27-2019 at 01:51 PM..
Old 06-27-2019, 02:13 PM   #27
Bowling4Bikes
Steee-riiike!

Contributor + BB

Motorcycles: '02 Ducati ST4s
Name: D
it is true pavs is slower than today's forwards, and small for a guy who goes into the slot. Maybe DW said as much and that's why he's gone shopping. And agreed that Pavs probably wouldn't do any better on another team. His ability to create goals out of nothing is really valuable, especially with hall-of-fame pointmen in Burns and EK feeding him. He should be re-signed.
Bowling4Bikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #28
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Pavs has some of the best hands in the league. There are lots of super fast skaters out there that can't put the puck in the net to save their life. Fourth lines are full of them. Pavelski is an elite scorer. Might not be an elite skater, but you don't consistently score 30 goals a season in the NHL unless you are a really, really good player.

Pavelski is smart to test the waters. At his age, this is probably the last big contract he'll get to sign and by the time it ends, his career will effectively be winding down. This is really it for him. I expect that he will look at other teams, but I still think he re-signs. If he doesn't, I'd be shocked if he went with a Western Conference team.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #29
uclaktsai
Veteran

Motorcycles: '97 VFR
Name:
Er not sure why the video doesn't link properly...

https://youtu.be/ezhlLg0WThU

Gotta love Pavs.

Last edited by uclaktsai; 06-28-2019 at 10:33 AM..
uclaktsai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #30
*Tina*
Hello

2007 Barfie Winner
Top Percent Poster
Contributor ++ BB

Motorcycles: Honduh
Name: T
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaktsai View Post
Er not sure why the video doesn't link properly...

https://youtu.be/ezhlLg0WThU

Gotta love Pavs.
Tipped from the parking lot.

He's got such sweet hands.

V4 says: seems like a lotta confusions, misdirected info,speculations, and...
oh wait..
this is teh BARF...
that's normal around here...

compassrose says: "BARF: We're not your shoulder to cry on if you're a fucking idiot"
*Tina* is offline   Reply With Quote