BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Welcome Mat > Newbies

Old 06-18-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
beje

Motorcycles: Honda CBR, Panigale hopefully soon
Name:
New to BARF (and CA)

Hello Guys,

I recently moved from Ireland (but im Italian) to CA and im very close to get back on 2wheels soon after a break of 4years

I started riding scooters at the age of 13 and at 15 I was already illegally street racing.
The upgrade to the CBR600F arrived quickly and also quick was the move to the 600rr

Also have been a proud owner of a cbr1000rr for track purposes, pity the dream didnt last much

Im going to get a new baby next week hopefully (one of the reasons i decided to move to CA from the rainy place called Ireland) and im still VERY undecided:
1. go for something a bit slower like a Ducati Monster 1200r/s
2. get back to sport bikes and there my choice would be the 959 Panigale Corse. (not a fun of 190+ bhp for mixed street/track use)

I'm a bit in need of suggestions, I'm worried the Monster may results to be feel boring but I cant image myself going around at 55mph with a Panigale either . Consider i come from a place where going to 80mph is considered to be in the norm.

Hope to catch up with some of you on weekend rides and so on.
Ciao

PS. I live you with a video my favourite riding location in south Italy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-vBz8kHnUU

Last edited by beje; 06-18-2019 at 09:43 PM..
beje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
chai rome
Veteran

Motorcycles: 04v11coppa 08hm1100s 09m1100s 121090rr 09yz125 18yz250x
Name:
Hehe I would have never thought you could call the M1200R a bit slow and boring!

So is it mainly for weekend riding?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 PM   #3
beje

Name:
I think that the my first year (maybe less?) ill be more focused on street considering that for track I need a butload more budget equipment and space. not talking about trailer or van to to bring the bike around as tracks here look to be quite far from bay area.

well monsters have a lot of power at low revs, great fun on mountains.. but at higher speed they are not that comfy as they have no wind protection whatsoever. Also riding position is quite different from a sport bike. TBH I didn't try the R version, yet

Last edited by beje; 06-18-2019 at 10:17 PM..
Old 06-19-2019, 05:51 AM   #4
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Smaller bikes are more fun to wring the performance out

<stands, raises hand> Hello, my name is George and I am a motorcycle addict!

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:08 AM   #5
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
welcome beje, i enjoyed your video! are you only considering ducati or are you open to other brands? bmw s1000r/rr can be had for around $10,000 and are much more composed on the street (and have cruise control, heated grip)
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman

I agree with smash. Consider that too.

Enjoy the weather and roads and tracks here.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:04 AM   #7
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name:
Welcome from Livermore! Più grande la compagnia, più ci si diverte. Ride safe out there.
2008 Harley Davidson FLHP Road King Police (Porky The Pig Bike!)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
2002 Honda VTX1800R (Poor Punkin got smashed by an inattentive kid)

IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || Independent
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
BayAreaF4i

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda cbr 600 F4i
Name: Nick B.
Welcome to the forums and happy riding out there
BayAreaF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #9
beje

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
welcome beje, i enjoyed your video! are you only considering ducati or are you open to other brands? bmw s1000r/rr can be had for around $10,000 and are much more composed on the street (and have cruise control, heated grip)
Hey Allen,
i was thinking about the S1000rr, in the italian racing community all talks are about v4 vs s1000rr vs rsv4 and it's known that s1000rr (and rsv4) best handling with no after market components and s1000rr stands out for engine smoothness.

I even went to BMW SJ to ask about test rides on track but i have been told nobody organises such events CA/USA... is that true?
(How can you buy a bike for 20k+$ without trying it on track is a mystery to me)

My favourite use, especially at the beginning, will be on group rides possibly on mountain twisty roads (i hope)... and my understanding is that speed limits here are enforced like crazy (police every mile, prison, insurance costs, etc etc) so buying a 1000 (v4, s1000rr,etc) to ride 55mph (at best) is just a waste; not talking about the heat and confort. So the result of the equation is that ill skip on bikes so powerful.

I would like to buy an MV Augusta but they have worse reliability of Ducati so i dont want to end in a loop home->mechanic->home; alternative is that I go back to the cbr600rr that is nothing to to me so 0 surprises.

If I go the naked route ill get the M1200R for sure... different riding stile but the sound is amazing and the bikes is crazy sexy looking (and would be fun on slow tracks too), Brutale Dragster is even better but... reliability.

If you have more insights or want to share some wisdom to a newbie ill ping you on a separate channel; i'd be happy to talk to somebody that knows the area from a sportbike owner prospective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez
Welcome from Livermore! Più grande la compagnia, più ci si diverte. Ride safe out there.
Heila! Bello vedere non il solo qui Grazie per il benveuto!

Last edited by beje; 06-19-2019 at 12:30 PM..