BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 05-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #1456
The Toe Cutter
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: small one
Name:
Sounds like a fun day! Bummed I missed it but was able to tear into my 690 trying to figure out why I'm still getting water in my oil. Have a week long ADV trip in June so gotta figure it out before then.

Looking forward to the next event at the property, gonna be great to ride there again!!!
The Toe Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #1457
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '18 Scorpa 300, '14 Gas Gas xc300r, '93 KTM 550 MXC, 2014 500 EXC
Name:
Pretty fun Kraut cup this weekend, weather was about as nice as you could ask for; windy and in the upper 70's with blue skies. Dirt was good just about everywhere with the streams in full swing, entry road to the property was a little muddy and one guy got his RV stuck on the hitch trying to get out.....all said and done a fun weekend.

Made a couple of mistakes in my first loop that hurt my overall score; killed the motor on section 3 for no good reason (went from a 2 to a 5) and missed a gate in section 8 (stupid) and went from a 0 to a 5....ouch. Did well on section 1 all day (2,1,1) which was an EXP line so felt good about that. Didn't die on section 7 although I did go over the front trying to wiggle off a rock. Those rocks were pretty good sized...and steep. Cleaned section 9 once; Robbie said he only had 7 cleans all day on that one even though it was and INT line?! Never got through 10 very well but did have fun overall.

I am enjoying the ADV line and am finally starting to feel ready rather than overwhelmed by it. A good challenge for sure but INT would be boring. Donna and the girls had a good time goofing around, selling lemonade and getting out of the low elevation heat...Finally didn't get stuck in hell traffic on the way home and made it in just under 3 hours....took us 4 1/2 to get up (yuck)

Rocky is in a month, should be more of the same. See you all at that one for sure.
elemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:25 AM   #1458
The Toe Cutter
Veteran

Founding Member

Name:
Good report Luke There were some tricky INT sections and seems like I took more points on those than the EXP lines. I 5'd Robby's section by trying to go to fast and front wheel dropped in a hole almost identical to what happened to Sid right before me.

I beat Grosser by 1 point LOL, we were joking about it afterwards. Dan King with the 9 final loop was very impressive.

It was a good trial and was nice to get out of the heat like you said.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #1459
undertheoaks
When in doubt gas it!

Motorcycles: Super Tenere, Sherco 300ST
Name: El Sid
Like you two said great event, forgot how much fun club property is to ride on, those rocks are amazing. I too starting to feel comfortable in the Adv class, and having fun not just scared...lol. Docs want to operate but don't want to rehab for a year that will suck, at least I can ride....lmfao. Going up to the grow this weekend will probably ride Sat morning at the crack of dawn until around 9am before it gets to hot.
undertheoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:22 AM   #1460
The Toe Cutter
Veteran

Founding Member

Name:
Wish I was riding this weekend, will be Sacramento for a wedding from Fri to Sunday. Have fun and keep cool Sid!
Old 06-18-2019, 07:11 AM   #1461
Mistico
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: yeah
Name:
Hi all, long time! I have a question for you guys. What's your opinion on the 2015 Sherco 2.9 ST? There's one for sale locally but I know nothing about it or Shercos in general.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #1462
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Name:
Hey Mistico, hope all is well down there. Not much of a Sherco guy but have read a bit about them. 12-15 they tried to put the fuel tank in the rear fender with a vacuum pump to assist getting gas to the carb. That was a troublesome system due to complexity and if you smashed the rear fender you were out major cash. Look on Trialscentral.com for more in depth info but most of the recommendations I've seen are try to avoid that era. GG may be going under again so maybe avoid that brand as well (not that you have a lot of options).

Ride safe and have fun!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #1463
Mistico
Veteran

Contributor +++

Name:
Thanks for the info Luke.

Another one for you since you own a Scorpa: Any difference between the 2017 and 2018 Scorpa SC300 Factory?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #1464
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Name:
I think they changed the shock from sachs to Reiger in 2018, that's about all, BNG stuff; 18/19 are pretty identical; fricken love my 18.

Last edited by elemetal; 06-21-2019 at 01:49 PM..
Old 06-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #1465
undertheoaks
When in doubt gas it!

I too love my Sherco 2018 Factory, absolutely zero issues so far, upgraded waterpump to S3 aluminum impeller and it's a high flow, also have a flywheel on it to help with the transition from a 4 stroke back to the 2 stroke. I like the simplicity of a carbed bike over the FI models, and also like the better stability over my Beta as it knifed in turns more then once on me. Also the Scorpa and Shercos are almost identical except for the frames Scorpa turns a bit tighter. Mistico the 2015 Shercos weregood bikes there's were a couple of them in the club not to long ago but I only know of one now. Problem is registration with the older versions, unrecognizable numbers by the dmv, 2018 versions and up get red stickers here in Ca so they are legit. Best of luck and come ride with us and I'm sure you can ride both elemetal's and mine back to back to compare.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #1466
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Name:
He's not anywhere near the US anymore....too bad, Mistico is fun to ride with...
Old 06-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #1467
undertheoaks
When in doubt gas it!

Possibly a early morning ride session this Sat at the grow ??
Old 06-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #1468
Mistico
Veteran

Contributor +++

Name:
Thanks guys!
I'll let you know what I end up picking up.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:26 PM   #1469
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Name:
Well I've been working like mad and had no time to ride aside from the back yard, Thank goodness it has some good stuff to practice on, musta' hit the big log a hundred times working on clutch/throttle/unweight timing and think I finally got somewhere.

I can hit it three ways; jam the front tire in about 12" down; barely hit the top with the front tire; wheelie completely over it. These result in (1) double blip (2) zap (3) splat; as the log gets bigger you can only use 2,3 (over bar height). Watched a RY vid about it and he says "dig a hole then explode out of it." and that really helps with timing/weighting.

Another thing that helped was thinking about riding up the log rather than over it. Been working on holding pressure/no skidplate, to do that you have to lean back much farther than I have been. That loads the rear and as long as you slip the clutch or roll off you can drive up the thing. If I think about going over I load the front too much and lose drive too early causing the plate to hit.

Doubt it will do me much good this weekend as I got a few 5's last time from silly stuff but at least its progress.

I'm on my own this weekend, up Saturday morning, sleeping in my truck; can't wait to not work for a couple of days!
Old 07-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #1470
undertheoaks
When in doubt gas it!

Does sound like progress Luke, try try again ! Yeah work is over rated...way over rated lol. I've been going up to the grow every weekend and mostly working but riding an hour or two every time. Have some great rocks I've uncovered in the front yard after cutting down acres of tall grass. Mostly working on tight turns with an obstacle like a big rock upon exiting the turn. Need to ride more and then some more again. Going up Sat with Francesca but staying in a lodge Sat night.