boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
Teh Cal24 Enthusiast Challenge ride log (24 hour Rally Riding) All Riders Encouraged to Post Here

Many of you have read or even ridden the Cal24 in the past. This was my third year of riding the Rally and I was again impressed at the ability of the organization to put together such a good ride.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Cal24, it is a 24 hour scavenger hunt type rally where you ride from bonus location to location collecting either information or pictures as described by the rally pack. It is a test of endurance, at 24 hours and 1,000 miles. It is a test of reading comprehension, to understand the instructions about what to collect at each location. And if you want to place in the top 5, it is a test of route planning, time management, and the ability to think clearly after hours on the road.

This year's event started and ended in Gardnerville, NV and wound through a good portion of Northern California and a little bit of Nevada.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #2
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

I'm also encouraging other rides to post here. I know there were quite a few BARFers this year. I only know a couple of them and their handles, but I'm not one to call people out. So hopefully they'll chime in.

As usual, the Bonus Locations took us to some interesting places. I'm going to post pictures and endless drivel about the ride as i get time, so please be patient.

Gratuitous Bonus Photo. Description of the ride starts next.

Last edited by boney; 06-14-2016 at 07:02 AM..
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

As is the case in past years' rallies, the route and rally pack, containing all the bonus locations, their point values, and ways to gain extra points was handed out one hour before the ride. There was also a GPX file we could get that had the route in it, but that was it.

Being a GPS kinda guy and immediately began programming the bonus locations into Basecamp (garmin software. I enjoy maps, but prefer not to navigate by them on the motorcycle. I find opening them up is time consuming when I'm trying to keep a schedule. This consumed almost the entire hour until kick-off. Feeling like I was going to be 'behind' immediately if I spent too much time messing with the routes and whatnot, I made a plan to take me to the first checkpoint, dumped it all into my GPS, and packed up for the start.

At a little after 9am, I took off from the start and promptly ran into traffic. It turns out that, coincidentally (or not), Carson Valley Days was going on at the same time as the Rally and there was a parade right next the to rally start, complete with road closures and traffic.

The Rallymasters (or persons who plan the rides) sometimes take extra pleasure in creating not only a difficult ride/route, but adding in some special kind of torture, like road closures and traffic...

Riding the backroads was the way around, but EVERYONE in this area drives slower than the speed limit... It took a while to get out of town.

The first bonus I would visit was Walker Burger. We've all been past it, some of us had eaten there previously, but none of that mattered. To earn the bonus, we had to take a picture there, with our rally flag on our bike.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

So the bonuses are organized in two ways. One set is on the official route of the rally, and they are each worth a set of points determined by the rallymaster. There are additional bonuses that are not on the route that are worth increasingly large numbers of points depending on the extra distance of difficulty required to reach them.

Walker Burger was not on the route and was worth a considerable amount of points. I figured the top riders were going to capture the bonus, so it was my first stop. I wasn't the only one there, and had seen a few on the road before I got there.

Those of us who made the trip to Walker Burger were already off the route and improvising...

The next stop on my list was Volcano, which required a trek up and over Monitor Pass and Carson Pass and down 88. Oh darn. Two nice passes early in the morning with very little traffic. Three of us rode over the passes together, and winding down a two-lane back road we caught the end of a group ride from somewhere. They were not making the same kind of time we were but it was motorcycles as far as I could see around the curves. we sat tight and motored into Volcano in search of some information from a plaque mounted in town.

[no photo- this was an information collection waypoint}

I collected with requisite info, recorded the time and mileage in my rally pack (a requirement at every bonus if you want the points) and rode on to the next bonus, not too far away on Hwy 88.

The rally pack suggested we have a cone if we felt the need. Clearly some of the participants took the suggestion.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
two wheel tramp
Caaaaarnt

AMA #2771957
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + 3% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: DR650x2, R1150GS, DRZ-400, KTM 790 AdvS
Name: Triple R

I'm so bummed I missed it this year.

But thanks for posting this and letting me follow along.
i don't get lost. i explore alternative destinations.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

The next location was in Rio Vista. There were two bonuses there that I planned on picking up. I know that Hwy 12 sucks on the weekends, but I hadn't spent time to find the work-arounds, and I didn't know them from memory, so I stayed on my plan knowing that the time component of the ride was okay.

Arriving there proved that there was indeed some good work-arounds as the people who left behind me at the last location were already here. Oh, well... I was about riding efficiently and decided that being the fastest person out there wasn't going to accomplish anything but being fast.

The Moose Lodge.

Foster's Bighorn

On the way to the next bonus there was an extra. It cost me $10 to gain admission to the museum, and on this one, reading comprehension was key.

And it's not like people don't "comprehend" the instructions. We're all intelligent people here. The rallymaster sets up specifics in the instructions to be taken literally. Sometimes we all interpret what we read, and on a rally that can get you in trouble. They give you a rally flag, but sometimes the instructions say get a picture of your bike. So if you put the rally flag in front and forget your bike, then you don't get the points. Often, which isn't a bad tactic, some of us cover all the bases by putting our rally flag and bike in every picture. This all comes to play when at the end of a long day, and also at the scoring table, when two people have captured many of the same bonuses. It's easy to miss a bit of information or take a picture wrong.

At the Railway Museum, the bike wasn't possible, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a requirement for the flag. I brought it along anyway.

In Napa, several of us bagged the Wine Train bonus at about the same time.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #7
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Next up was the Jimtown Store. This bonus proved to be a little bit of an issue. Not everyone was able to find it as easily as others. Not everyone knows that Silverado Trial, even though it is not quick on Saturday afternoon, is faster than Hwy 128. One rider cut over to 101 and ran up through Santa Rosa. I had considered that option too, but decided that Silverado Trail would be quick enough.

It killed me though, being stuck behind two tour buses and a million tourists. I sure this was a special kind of torture the rallymaster had planned. It worked, I was tortured.

I cut over at Tubbs Lane and there was surprisingly little traffic in Alexander Valley.

Again, there was another rally participant when I got there.

Last edited by boney; 06-14-2016 at 08:51 AM..
Old 06-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

The rally field was larger this year. It made for some fun riding as we would all come across another rider somewhere along the way and trade a quick story or route discussion. I picked up 3 or four different riders at different times of the rally. Since this is an individual ride, even though there's a group, we weren't obligated to ride together. Keep in mind though, that if you pass a rider in need, you're out. As luck would have it, there were no riders in need or other incidents this year.

In Geyserville said random rider and I grabbed the sphinx.

Goofing around at a bonus!

Then it was off to Booneville for the Checkpoint.

EDIT:

Actually, there was bonus in Cloverdale that I went to get first, and where I also fueled up.

The big red thing. It said take a selfie:

Last edited by boney; 06-14-2016 at 11:13 AM..
Old 06-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
Eggman17

Motorcycles: FJ-09
Name: Bob
OkOk boney you have coaxed me outa my box actually this Rally did. I have been literally for the first time in my life writing a ride report and im just not that kinda guy. lol Im now on like page 9 of describing our Cal24 Rally together "TEAM SKUNKY" and how well my EffJay did as a Sport/Touring machine and i can literally feel some of my long ago teachers applauding me for it.

I will admit that was us enjoying that dam good Ice cream. We were NEWBS we were enjoying the rally we didn't no any better yet.That pic at the Ice Cream shop is one of my good friends and moto mentor, teacher and the loaner of the first XR i ever rode back in my teens with him. And i will also admit that Old man was our secret weapon to beat you all back after we of course finished our Ice Cream down to Rio Vista he know's back roads i didn't know existed up there and i have lived between here and Tahoe my whole life practically.

It was about the time you were pulling away that i came walking out with my fantastic cone and a few more of you roll up HOT whip out your flags and your dam cameras attached to your necks in your giant stitch suits That i looked over at the Old Man took a lick of My Ice Cream and said to him "not a RACE huh, these old rally dogs are in to win it" he looks back takes a lick from his and says to me ya no shit we better get move on after our cones. LOL
He then looks at me takes another friggen lick and says "i dont think these guys know all the back roads like i do we got a chance to beat most of them to the next way point" and low and behold we did. Of course then we were screwed we had played out everything we had.

I wont hog up your thread anymore with my newly found writing ability and my stories, i will do my own ride report but it was a geat time for us NEWBS we learned a few things along the way.

It was a great time on some of the best back roads cali and nevada have to offer!
Great times were had lifetime memories were made new friends were found and we all made it home safe. Couldn't really ask for a better weekend on a bike well until we had to ride home over the pass yesterday in that shit storm passing through. What timing we had this weekend it was amazing.

And last but no least a BIG BIG THANK YOU to the Cal24 rally event staff for putting on such a great event and made it newb fun and friendly even though we had no chance.lol
We did rake it in at the Raffle however...

I always read pics or it didn't happen so here you go, we got you old rally dogs for a second at least.

I don't have a hosting site yet and just playing with google drive for the first time so I'm hoping these links will work.

Also would you mind emailing me that pic at the Ice Cream shop i would like to add it to my Cal24 2016 Collection. I believe my email addy is available to registered users here.

Before you arrived
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...EVlS1dBUEFGZmc

And again before you arrived
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...UlVcnJKTWJTTG8
Eggman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #10
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggman17 View Post
OkOk boney you have coaxed me outa my box actually this Rally did. I have been literally for the first time in my life writing a ride report and im just not that kinda guy. lol Im now on like page 9 of describing our Cal24 Rally together "TEAM SKUNKY" and how well my EffJay did as a Sport/Touring machine and i can literally feel some of my long ago teachers applauding me for it.

I will admit that was us enjoying that dam good Ice cream. We were NEWBS we were enjoying the rally we didn't no any better yet.That pic at the Ice Cream shop is one of my good friends and moto mentor, teacher and the loaner of the first XR i ever rode back in my teens with him. And i will also admit that Old man was our secret weapon to beat you all back after we of course finished our Ice Cream down to Rio Vista he know's back roads i didn't know existed up there and i have lived between here and Tahoe my whole life practically.

It was about the time you were pulling away that i came walking out with my fantastic cone and a few more of you roll up HOT whip out your flags and your dam cameras attached to your necks in your giant stitch suits That i looked over at the Old Man took a lick of My Ice Cream and said to him "not a RACE huh, these old rally dogs are in to win it" he looks back takes a lick from his and says to me ya no shit we better get move on after our cones. LOL
He then looks at me takes another friggen lick and says "i dont think these guys know all the back roads like i do we got a chance to beat most of them to the next way point" and low and behold we did. Of course then we were screwed we had played out everything we had.

I wont hog up your thread anymore with my newly found writing ability and my stories, i will do my own ride report but it was a geat time for us NEWBS we learned a few things along the way.

It was a great time on some of the best back roads cali and nevada have to offer!
Great times were had lifetime memories were made new friends were found and we all made it home safe. Couldn't really ask for a better weekend on a bike well until we had to ride home over the pass yesterday in that shit storm passing through. What timing we had this weekend it was amazing.

And last but no least a BIG BIG THANK YOU to the Cal24 rally event staff for putting on such a great event and made it newb fun and friendly even though we had no chance.lol
We did rake it in at the Raffle however...

I always read pics or it didn't happen so here you go, we got you old rally dogs for a second at least.

I don't have a hosting site yet and just playing with google drive for the first time so I'm hoping these links will work.

Also would you mind emailing me that pic at the Ice Cream shop i would like to add it to my Cal24 2016 Collection. I believe my email addy is available to registered users here.

Before you arrived
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...EVlS1dBUEFGZmc

And again before you arrived
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...UlVcnJKTWJTTG8
Thanks for coming out and having a good time. That is what it's all about. I'm not really a Big Dog rally rider. I've only ridden the Cal24 in the past because of time constraints, but I do ride a lot of long distance stuff... Every year I go looking for the next somewhat close rally (it's in Colorado) and for whatever reason I never make it there. That's gotta change.

I always enjoy it when the rally goes somewhere I know well too. I've ridden around a lot out there, but never on a timeline, so I don't know what is faster and what isn't.

Your links work great, but it doesn't look like you can embed them in the forum's software with what Google allows you to do. Your other option is to reduce their size using your computer software and "attaching" them to the post using the part below the window you type in when you make a new post. Scroll down next time you're posting, you'll see it.

...and that's me u-turning in the alley in your second picture...

And yeah, you guys cleaned up on the raffle table. Nice! It never hurts to come home with a bunch of schwag! Congrats on the finish and the saddle sore. They are both an accomplishment in themselves.

Last edited by boney; 06-14-2016 at 10:57 AM..
Old 06-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #11
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

So I didn't get a picture at the checkpoint in Booneville, but the checkpoint works like this:

If you don't show up while it's open you better call the rallymaster and tell them you're not going to make it. Typically the checkpoint is a rider control feature so they can keep tabs on everyone along the way. The checkpoint is worth points, but you don't have to go... you just have to call. If you don't show up or call, then they start calling you and your contact numbers looking for someone who knows your whereabouts. (and you get a DNF.)

I took a few minutes at the checkpoint to figure out the next part of my route. Since I had spent all my pre-rally time getting the waypoints plugged into the GPS it was a matter of programming the next leg- There was a MANDATORY gas stop in Oroville, so I planned as far as that.

I picked up another riding buddy with whom I'd ride as far as upper lake, by way of Mendocino, Fort Bragg, Willits, and Ukiah.

The statue on the Old (not a) Bank (anymore) in Mendocino.

The Skunk Train in Fort Bragg.

The tatoo museum:

And an informational plaque from which we had to cull information...

It was perfectly clear to me that the rallymaster wanted us to go to the coast. There was a large concentration of points there that we would need to place well.

We had a great time on 128 to the coast and another great time on 20 back up to Willits. The roads are in great shape and it seems that the slow pokes were okay to pull out of our way. Nice!

Over the hill in Upper Lake we bagged the road side monument, and my (as Tyler Durden would say) single-serving riding buddy split off for gas and other issues.

Last edited by boney; 06-14-2016 at 11:20 AM..
Old 06-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #12
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

This is a part of the rally where the planning and time management come to play. It's later afternoon and there's a bonus that is an out-and-back trip of about 30 to 40 minutes. More if there's bad weekend traffic.

I am planning out only 1/4 to 1/3 of the ride at a time because of the constraints I put on myself before the rally started. Remember that I spent my time getting the bonuses into my GPS? I left without a complete plan.

What I haven't covered yet is that there are themes in this rally. One was railroads, the other was banks, and the other was bars. I had left the banks to the end of the rally. They were near the start/finish but I had skipped them because of the parade. If I got all the banks, there were extra points for completing the theme. Likewise for Bars/taverns. Two of them were also on the last leg of the rally. In order to place well, I'd have to get them all too.

Without a plan, I didn't know my travel times at the end of the rally. The last leg from Gerlach, NV to Minden was an unknown travel time. I estimated it at about 3 hours without stops, and up to 4 with. I had no idea where, how close, or what the route was to get them all, and so I erred on the side of caution. I needed the points at the end of the rally.

So here, I'm tasked with the decision of going out of my way for more points, or continuing on and trying to bag a different 'extra' bonus that is worth more points.

I tried programming my new GPS on the fly. Frankly I hadn't spent enough time fooling with it before the rally to truly understand how it worked and only succeeded in making a complete mess out of my route. Not to mention that I had forgotten to take a ton of waypoints out of it for a different rally from a few months ago. Every time I went looking for the nearby waypoints, it showed me a ton of them that were irrelevant. Chalk this up to lessons learned.

So I skip the extra waypoint and move on out to Williams, where again, we have to gather information rather than take a picture. Here I come across another rider. She has rally accomplishments that I can only dream of. We give each other a cursory nod as she's pulling away and I'm thinking, "well, I'm behind her, and she's probably picked up every bonus possible so far..." And I start to regret not getting my plan together better before the start. There's another few in the rally that also have serious credentials. I don't like that I'm out here without a complete plan. Not one bit. I'm becoming less confident of my performance so far and more worried about time. I have to get those last few bonuses! I tell myself and ride on.

The sun is setting. We're 12 hours into the rally and maybe half-way on miles and I'm starting to question my moves. It's happened every time I've ridden this rally, and I suspect it's a natural part of it. We never really see anyone for more than a while, and none of them will tell you where they'be been or where they're headed. You only see them occasionally and wonder. And run scenarios through your head. And question your plan or your past actions.

But, there's really not much to do but ride on and continue trying to do our best. So that's what I do.

By the time I make the next bonus the sun is down. It's flashlight time. Again, we're gathering information (or take a picture it says.) So I do that also.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #13
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

For the tl;dr crowd, this is that part where the sun is down and you can't take good pictures.

The bonuses become more of the "information collection" kind, where you have to find something and write down what it says.

It's also the part where your mind really starts messing with you and fatigue can set you back.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
... really admire Eggman17, boney, TWT
and all the other BARF Cal24 vets for
having the courage to step up and
enjoy this event ...

... maybe someday I'll grow up and
find the fortitude to try the 12 hour event ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #15
Eggman17

Motorcycles: FJ-09
Name: Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
... really admire Eggman17, boney, TWT
and all the other BARF Cal24 vets for
having the courage to step up and
enjoy this event ...

... maybe someday I'll grow up and
find the fortitude to try the 12 hour event ...
John thank you it was an absolute blast and i think you of all people would have no problem with it. I have been off a bike for the last almost 10 years now due to back surgery no L5 anymore and both shoulders got pins put in the right from baseball and pitching and the left from a bad canegie tumble on my brand new KTM. I have only had the Effjay and been back on the bike since last may and although i took the last 2 days off to recover i made it in with 3 minutes to spare on the time clock. I looked haggered though.
Eggman17 is offline   Reply With Quote