BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 05-10-2005, 12:31 AM   #31
motorman4life
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Barfie Winner 06
Contributor

Motorcycles: WORK: Kawasaki KZ1000P & '07 H-D Road King. PLAY: '07 Honda GL1800 & '88 Kawasaki KX600 Ninja
Name: MM4L
How about replacing a dead forum.. any forum over a year old with <1000 posts would be a good candidate..

The "Random Question" forum could be converted in about 2 seconds.. okay, maybe 3 seconds. For free!

The cruiser forum is pretty dead. Who paid for that one? Why not scrap it?

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
"It could be that your purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others." -MM4L
"This ain't rocket science people. A little common sense goes a long way." -MM4L
"Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" - George Carlin (RIP 2008)
motorman4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:49 AM   #32
R3DS!X
LOLWUT?

Contributor + + + + +

Motorcycles: Motorcycles are dangerous!
Name:
10-15 is a guy in custody for thoes who dont know 10 code.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:54 AM   #33
Triple Seven

Motorcycles:
Name:
Agreed.

Here is some real truth to the matter. I've ran forums on websites since 1998. In regards to this forum: BARF is based off Vbulletin (www.vbulletin.com). This software costs less than $200 to purchase, which was already done long ago. It will cost NOTHING to create a new forum. There is no increase in bandwidth usage with a new forum, and thus no cost. As far as time is concerned, to create a new forum will take less than 120 seconds. Log into the admin control panel, add a forum, give it a name, pick it's category and add a moderators name, done. I can recreate this entire website in less than 10 minutes. There are numerous useless forums here, like Quote of the day, and as stated Random Question. As well as the 2 "sponsors" forums. All these would better serve this community if they had more purpose, and it seems that motorman (what's your real name?) has a great idea. I support it. And please no one try to tell me different about the time and cost to add a forum, I know what I am talking about.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:10 AM   #34
R3DS!X
LOLWUT?

Contributor + + + + +

Motorcycles: Motorcycles are dangerous!
Name:
truth speaks from the mouth of triple seven
Old 05-10-2005, 03:42 AM   #35
Iszlandsnow
Break yourself

Motorcycles: TLR, YZ426F, HD-Road King
Name:
Ah yes..let me break out the popcorn when that section opens. Thread revival and bashing at its finest.

Here are some popular CHP threads:

* CHP are D*#cks! * CHP Officer Rodrigues sighting?? * The big bad CHP * God Damn CHP wont leave me alone!! * Reckless CHP
* CHP Squid! * 3 runners on 9 today! *Poll: Do you thinks CHP do profiling riders from forum? * Argghh ****en CHP!!! * U guys know that CHP is checking out this site? * Cops, cops, cops..on 9..front side * CHP let me down. *CHP quota time?? * Where's the CHP when you need them?

And for the local P.D.'s and Counties:

*Why dont cops wear gear? * pulled over for blue turn signals?
* Jackass cops * Gettin Tickets. How about you? * who was it that destroyed their bike today in concord while running from the cops? * Bike Got Impounded Today By ... * What is so hard about plates, signals and mirrors? * Warning! Dirty Pig on Skyline! * Morbid cops....... * Don't speed around town...got a BS ticket today (argh!) * do cop crackdown on r6 super bike? * wtf bike coppa * ATTN: Milpitas LEO's * Berkeley Cops * Lazy LEO's...our tax $$$'s hard at work! * Squid gets arrested for running on "COPS" * Blue LED's For Rear Blinkers? Ok or Not OK * F'ing Berkeley cops

And some threads that make you wonder:

105 in a 65 ......need some help

What's the $$$FINE 4 Parking in Handicap Walkway?

What's up with this? (2 points for a wheelie?!?!)

Gave a CHP the finger & got written up for 22111B

Running from the cops

Help! Got busted practicing standups

To my brothers in blue, tan or green, have fun with this. Granted there are some good threads, but if im gonna be annoyed, I should be on the clock.

RIP Maico Buncio # 129
Iszlandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:11 AM   #36
01 929RR
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2001 929RR ERION(sold), 2001 EX250
Name:
I never feel safe around cops. I never thought I'd feel the same way ONLINE. Hope your not a cop from Miplitas. Back to the subject, changing a dead forum sounds like your best bet. Wouldn't it be a little weird asking a cop about something illegal you might have done though?

"Speed kills but you get there faster"
01 929RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:40 AM   #37
Jakemate
Pastafarian Minister

BB6 Slow Race Winner
Barf Roadside Angel
Contributor

Motorcycles: The kind that roll me to the noodle house.
Name: Reverend
Quote:
Originally posted by 01 929RR
I never feel safe around cops. I never thought I'd feel the same way ONLINE. Hope your not a cop from Miplitas. Back to the subject, changing a dead forum sounds like your best bet. Wouldn't it be a little weird asking a cop about something illegal you might have done though?
I used to feel the same way. I think it was the fact that they had a gun and I didn't. Now that I have some LEO friends I hang out and vacation with, I have realized that they are just regular people. People are generally flawed, it's really a hard thing to ask anyone to be perfect. Most cops realize that.

- George Carlin (1937-2008)
Jakemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:10 AM   #38
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally posted by NoTime2Ride
I used to feel the same way. I think it was the fact that they had a gun and I didn't. Now that I have some LEO friends I hang out and vacation with, I have realized that they are just regular people. People are generally flawed, it's really a hard thing to ask anyone to be perfect. Most cops realize that.
My girlfriend was a LEO for years and still is in LE. I can tell you from all of our friends that the vast majority of LEO's are really good people, with many of the same dreams and enjoyments as the rest of us.

But there is a difference which they live with on a daily basis that sets them apart in a similar way to nurses and doctors. While most of us see the world as a friendly and idealistic way, they have to deal with the consequences of the side effects of human nature in all of it's worst forms.

I won't get into the crime part because that's a whole other area, but in terms of consequences to actions they have to clean up the pieces after accidents and worse, they have to tell the families that their son, daughter or some other relative won't be coming home, ever.

So when you see someone driving fast through a neighborhood, they may see what was left of the little girl that was run over and dragged for 200 feet (this was the worst one for my girlfriend) and remember the absolute agony of the mother when they had to tell her.

When you see someone splitting lanes way to fast you might think that there goes an organ donar, but they see the organs and brains lying on the road and are haunted by the pain the family went through.

We talk about what should be done about these kids that get a fast bike as their first bike, but they get blamed for letting the kid go too fast even though there was nothing they could have done to prevent the kid from wadding their bike and mangling themselves.

Before anybody wants to get critical of LEO's they need to first understand why they act like they do, and in the vast majority of the cases you will quickly learn that they were doing exactly the right thing (or very close to it under the circumstances).

Like any other field, there will be the rare bad apple who may have had to scrape up one too many idiots off the road but for the most part they're good people and they are doing the best they can to keep people safe and let them have fun as long as it's within reason.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:10 AM   #39
kiltwearinfool
do not read this title

Founding Member
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: OK
Name: John
Quote:
Originally posted by cardinal03
The truth is another forum section takes money and time. If Steve has the time i'd like to see the following:
1. Steve gives us an idea of what it'd cost to add another forum.
2. We have a "Leo-Forum Fundraiser"
3. Once we provide the funds, Steve takes the time to provide us with the forum.
How about it ?
So as has been abundantly evidenced, a new forum would cost all of $0.

That said, I still agree with holding a fundraiser. Steve has spent a lot of his own time and cash on this entire board. Not enough people are contributors to the effort.

You want a LEO forum? Be a contributor. Money Talks.

Donate to GaryJ's appreciation fund if you can.
kiltwearinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:38 AM   #40
reynolds_brad
50NUT

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Ducati Angrymoosetard
Name: Really?
I’ve always had mixed feeling about Cops.

Even when its been a few hours/days/weeks of riding with both wheels on the ground at speeds near the posted limits, I see a black and white and my heart starts pounding and I freeze up like he is out for me. Ill stay like that until he is out of sight. Even if im no where near my bike or car. I see a cop and I freeze up. It sucks.

On line though they seem pretty cool. There is something different about having them on the board here. I say give them there own forum for communication purposes, just keep out of my sight on the street. You guys freak me out.
reynolds_brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:58 AM   #41
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
It's your guilty conscience, probably not dissimilar to the feeling most boys feel when they see their parents the next morning when they've just started whacking off and can't get it out of their mind that their parents just know what they were doing the night before.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #42
deaconblues
Roads Scholar

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Name: George
Quote:
Originally posted by Iszlandsnow
Ah yes..let me break out the popcorn when that section opens. Thread revival and bashing at its finest.

Here are some popular CHP threads:

* CHP are D*#cks! * CHP Officer Rodrigues sighting?? * The big bad CHP * God Damn CHP wont leave me alone!! * Reckless CHP
* CHP Squid! * 3 runners on 9 today! *Poll: Do you thinks CHP do profiling riders from forum? * Argghh ****en CHP!!! * U guys know that CHP is checking out this site? * Cops, cops, cops..on 9..front side * CHP let me down. *CHP quota time?? * Where's the CHP when you need them?

And for the local P.D.'s and Counties:

*Why dont cops wear gear? * pulled over for blue turn signals?
* Jackass cops * Gettin Tickets. How about you? * who was it that destroyed their bike today in concord while running from the cops? * Bike Got Impounded Today By ... * What is so hard about plates, signals and mirrors? * Warning! Dirty Pig on Skyline! * Morbid cops....... * Don't speed around town...got a BS ticket today (argh!) * do cop crackdown on r6 super bike? * wtf bike coppa * ATTN: Milpitas LEO's * Berkeley Cops * Lazy LEO's...our tax $$$'s hard at work! * Squid gets arrested for running on "COPS" * Blue LED's For Rear Blinkers? Ok or Not OK * F'ing Berkeley cops

And some threads that make you wonder:

105 in a 65 ......need some help

What's the $$$FINE 4 Parking in Handicap Walkway?

What's up with this? (2 points for a wheelie?!?!)

Gave a CHP the finger & got written up for 22111B

Running from the cops

Help! Got busted practicing standups

To my brothers in blue, tan or green, have fun with this. Granted there are some good threads, but if im gonna be annoyed, I should be on the clock.

Oh damn, what'd you do, index the whole forum?

Yah I know it sounds like all that happens is people whine and moan and complain, but a lot of us see those threads and give the standard reply "You ****ed up, now own up."

Besides which, who's to say your respective department(s) isn't willing to pay you for surf time if you spend it answering questions? Write it up as 'community relations' and get paid (just stay out of Photos, or anything with a NWS link on it...)

As for folks feeling wierd about posting a question about something potentially ticket-worthy... wouldn't you rather get the question answered here, than get to PAY to find out the answer later?

"You're getting flamed for a good reason.....Just learn from it." - guidoninja

"Remember, you cant talk your way out of a ticket....you can certainly talk your way into one." - Brash47

What you're entitled to on BARF - Thx to troy900ss | WARNING: Post may contain traces of TMI
"IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME." - Hunter S Thompson 1937 - 2005

Last edited by deaconblues; 05-10-2005 at 08:18 AM..
deaconblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #43
faz
Sexiest Ex-Mod around!ô

BARF Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor + +

Motorcycles: 07 zx14
Name: Faz
I am all for a LEO forum. The local LEOs that take part on this forum have been more than helpful to the rest of the riders on this forum. And I agree, that LEO thread is way way too long.

I can, however, see how Steve being hesitant into creating an independant forum for just LEO purposes. After all, this is a motorcycling forum, and many "fun" motorcycling activities (most of which I am incapable of doing) are frawned upon by the local laws and regulations. Having a LEO section can take away the attraction for new "fun" loving riders that may want to join this board, and that can be like shooting yourself in the foot, if your ultimate goal is to create one of the biggest active "motorcycling" boards.
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:40 AM   #44
rumpofsteelskin
sensory overlord

Contributor

Motorcycles: '07 FZ1
Name: ******!
Quote:
Originally posted by faz
Having a LEO section can take away the attraction for new "fun" loving riders that may want to join this board, and that can be like shooting yourself in the foot, if your ultimate goal is to create one of the biggest active "motorcycling" boards.
I see your point, but there's an easy way and a hard way for new riders to find out about the consequences of having _too much_ fun. This proposed forum would be the easy way.
rumpofsteelskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:41 AM   #45
deaconblues
Roads Scholar

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Name: George
Not sure that it would be all that different from now. After all, we do have LEO's reading (and posting) in all sorts of places. Been that way for years. Someone posts up their latest exploit, and people say, "Hey buddy, you DO know that Johnny Law is reading this, right?" Uhhhhhh...

This would just set aside a section where people could ask questions and bench-race with the cops. If the stunters, street racers, bling enthusiasts etc are worried about their 'fun' getting stepped on, then they should just stay out of that section.

"You're getting flamed for a good reason.....Just learn from it." - guidoninja

"Remember, you cant talk your way out of a ticket....you can certainly talk your way into one." - Brash47

What you're entitled to on BARF - Thx to troy900ss | WARNING: Post may contain traces of TMI
"IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME." - Hunter S Thompson 1937 - 2005
deaconblues is offline   Reply With Quote