Ducky_Fresh
Treasure Hunter

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + +
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: Virtual Moto
Name: Ev
Rookie Race Report #2 (round 4)

So, I didn't write a report for round 3 at sears. But, basically, I went from 39th in FIV to 23rd. Then in 650T I went from 26th to 21st. Some progress was made, I was happy.

This past weekend at Thunderhill, I decided to go up on Thursday night and ride Friday. The weather sure had me concerned, but I had the time off already and I know I'd be pissed if the weekend ended up sunny.

Got to the track on Friday morning, weather looked kinda grim, but the track was fine. We got a sprinkled on a little right after lunch, but the track never got wet and I never lost confidence in traction. I ran a lot that day and did mostly 2:09 to 2:11's. One or two high 2:08's. I was pleased with this, but knew I could go faster..

Saturday morning I was sore as hell! I am totally out of shape I've realized, which had me seriously considering skipping sat to rest some for Sunday. But Mike Metcalf kinda gave me the push to give in and ride. I knew more seat time couldn't hurt, but I didn't want to push it considering I sat at home in bed for 5 days the week before sick. So, I rode. I found myself doing consistent 2:09's all day at this point. I was glad I rode now, because I knew I'd drop some time in the races. Hopefully to 2:07's.

Sunday had me excited. I woke up and felt great. No soreness. Got to the track, tech'd, and made my way on to the track. Oddly, I wasn't aware that Sunday was 6 practice groups and that I had now the #3 sticker on my bike, so I went out again with group #2. No one stopped me, so I figured no big deal. It wasn't until I got back that I noticed the sticker change and found out how things worked. Damn novices! But that was cool, because I rode my session really well and had only one person get by me and had the track basically open since I went out in front. This rider got past me into 13 and totally blew it on his 600, 3 puffs of smoke from the back tire and him near the dirt. I went under and didn't see him again.. Ah the joys of riding an SV! Err right..

So, then FIV is race 7 and I'm gridded on row 6 on the outside. I'm pleased with this because then I can go around the outside all the way to 2 and not get squashed. My start is great and I make a lot of ground by the exit of 2. I'm probably in 14th, but I can see the leaders for once! Then, as we are coming out of 4 I see the black flag. We all stop at the top and wait because of a pileup in 1.

On the restart, I got another great start and probably made it as far ahead if not farther. I'm guessing 13th or 14th. The race went quickly while I chased Jeff Frost and Ian for the first 3 or 4 laps. I wanted to get by them so bad, but I was always sticking just behind them. The second to last lap I got passed underneath in turn 1 by the rider with the devil icon on his leathers(?). I knew if I was ever gonna get by Frost, I'd have to first get back by this guy, then get past Frost or he'd be a problem for me again. By the last lap I got back by him and was behind Frost again. The white flag was out and I knew it all bets were off! By turn 10, I was right behind frost, but he takes a really inside line entering 10, so I went outside of him and dove underneath to enter 11 in front of him. I made the pass and got to the finish line in front of him. I ran the first 4 laps at 2:06, while I ran a 2:05 on the last lap. I ended up grabbing a trophy for Top Novice and 12th place.

650 twins came along around 4:30 or so. We got gridded up and I was feeling pretty good and had a lot of excitement built up for this race. We see the two board, then the nasty Open GP wreck happened and we went back to the pits for about 30 or 45 minutes.

When the race was restarted, I took off and got behind Jeff Frost again, who was behind Mike Lawrence. Apparently, Aaron T (another fast novice) was behind me the whole time. Eventually, I got by Frost and got behind Mike. Damn, I had a helluva time passing him! I must have shown mike a wheel 3 or 4 times in 1 and a half laps. Since I took so long in getting by, Jeff found his way past me again and I was back to where I started. This kinda frustrated me because I had spent so much time setting up Mike to get in front and take off, he was holding me up. I think 2 laps were left and I got by both Jeff and Mike within a few turns. I think it was between 10 and 13 this occured. But, Aaron passed me going in to 13! I had no idea he was there and felt like I was back to square one again. I chased him the rest of the race and found no where to pass him. I had an opportunity on the last lap coming in to 13 again where I totally could have gotten him on the brakes inside, but he would have had to check up and I knew the other two guys were close behind. I opted to go for the good drive out of 14 and drag race to the finish. I pulled on him quite well, but he beat me by about a bike length. I ran a pair of 2:07's, then a pair of 2:08's, with the last lap of a 2:05.1 which was my fastest lap around Thunderhill. I finished in 11th place.

Overall, the weekend was highly successful for me. I met each of the few short term goals I had set out for myself:
1. Keep the bike on 2 wheels.
2. Make progress in each of my races, by finishing higher than the previous race.
3. Try to get top novice.

I'd like to thank a few people who've really helped me come along:

Twin Works Factory guys Zoran, Kurt, Jon, Joe, and Mike. They're invaluable for me. I learn so much from them each time I pit with them. Thanks for your patience with me guys!

Alex Florea for helping me out and listening to me all weekend. Not to mention providing the Michelins that I feel safe and confident on.

Mr RPM (Robert) for stepping up and sponsoring me this year. I'm glad he's back on the scene and supporting the AFM. We're lucky to have his welding services out there.

Robert Sisson at Evolution Suspension for helping me get some things squared away on the bike and getting the bike's geometry super fine tuned with that GMD Computrak of his!

I'd especially like to thank the other guys riding in FIV and 650T for making it such a fun pair of classes. Not to mention the workers, they are the best around!
Ducky_Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
eeeeek
Freelance Superhero

Motorcycles: Various
Name: Vik
That wasn't the devil, it was Bat Boy!

You got by me on lap two, I think. Damn yellow plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch Box View Post
In the end, I figure that it just doesn't make sense to get offended for others.
eeeeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
Ducky_Fresh
Treasure Hunter

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + +
BrotoGP

Heh. Bat boy!? Err ok!

Damn, I'm driving back to thill in about 30 mins. EMA day tomorrow gonna be fun.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #4
kevo
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 4DP, 4DP, 5PW, 1P6
Name:
Congratulations Ev!
kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:25 AM   #5
MackeyStingray
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Ĺ
Name:
congrats on top novice. i'm jealous. you've really stepped it up. i know alot of people, myself included, that doubted you'd keep it upright but you've exceeded all our expectations.

here's to a great season maybe end of the season i'll be up there w/ ya.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:38 AM   #6
scratchpad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bagger
Name:
Good Job Everett you rode very well out there. Congrats on the top novice in F4.
scratchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:44 AM   #7
mikeyjudkins
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: 2007 Yamaha R6 track bike
Name: Michael
Not too shabby Ducky, keep up the good work!
Former AFM #801
mikeyjudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
Ducky_Fresh
Treasure Hunter

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + +
BrotoGP

Thanks for the kind words guys. Next time out is going to be some wild racing....
Old 06-23-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
MAXX LEAN
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2008 Yamaha R6
Name: Pete
Good stuff Ev!!! Keep it up
MAXX LEAN is offline   Reply With Quote