BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Best of BARF

Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #16
redline
Greetings from THill...

Motorcycles: Fast ones & dirty ones
Name: Vic
More forks in the road. Luckily there are these pink ribbons that seem to mark the "main" path (I hope!). Anyway, that's the smoothest trail, so I take it.

This path sends me up a steep hill climb. I manage to climb the dirt hill without spinning up the rear too much. Hey, nice view. I take another break. Where the heck is that paved road? It's been hours!

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #17
redline
Greetings from THill...

This would be easy if I had a set of knobbies, but I'm on street tires going painfully slow just to keep the bike upright. More time goes by. All I see are trees. I'm losing track of time and distance. I'm getting tired and my water is running low. The altitude is taking its toll. My world is becoming nothing but trees...

Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #18
redline
Greetings from THill...

Trees…

Old 08-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #19
RGHD

Motorcycles: Harley Bagger
Name:
You really did into the back roads. Great pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!1
RGHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #20
Nemo Brinker
Tonight we ride

Mod Alumni
Contributor + +

Motorcycles: '04 919, '04 DR650
Name: Legion
Damn, ballsy on them back roads!
Nemo Brinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #21
redline
Greetings from THill...

…and more trees. Suddenly, a meadow appears off the road. But still, no water, no roadsigns and dammit, no pavement!!

Old 08-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #22
redline
Greetings from THill...

Hmmm…this ride is taking hours longer than I planned. The shadows are getting long and the sun is going down. I've run out of water. I should be close to the halfway point. I have a long way to go, but just as long a way back. If I press on, at least I should meet up with pavement when I get to Foresthill. I decide I should forge ahead towards pavement, rather than go back over difficult trails.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #23
redline
Greetings from THill...

The trail gets harder. The air is thin and there's a lot of uphill gravel. There is a slippery, fine ash that covers the trail. The back wheel keeps spinning up, but now it sinks the tire & I have to dig it out. The front wheel can't turn without sliding. I have to plan my turns waay in advance, but I can't read the terrain well. I check the odometer and can see that I am averaging less than 10 miles an hour because I have to keep slowing, stopping, and push the bike out of ruts when it gets stuck.

The sun goes down in 1 hour, and I'm still on the dirt trail. I think I'll have to ride the trail in the dirt. I get a brief moment of hope when I see this sign.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #24
redline
Greetings from THill...

Maybe I'm close to the paved roads again. Maybe now that I'm "in the park," the trail will get better. I take some more pictures and start to realize just how tired I am.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #25
redline
Greetings from THill...

I am terribly aware (now) of how the R1 is the wrong bike to bring on this ride. But, I can't turn around and I have no water or shelter. Deer and wildlife start to make themselves known. I start to think about bears and mountain lions. And why isn't there any running streams? Just stagnant ponds filled with mosquitos. I press onward but it's about to get dark. Hopefully the trail eases up.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #26
redline
Greetings from THill...

F*#$k!!! The trail doesn’t get easier! It gets worse! Way worse with each mile! Now I'm stuck in a foot of powdery ash uphill. I have to dig myself out, but the dust is so thick, I don't even need a kickstand to hold the bike up. I clear the tires & prep them with twigs and rocks to try and get traction. No luck. How do you get a bike uphill when the tires don't grip and the bike is sinking like quicksand? Oh, if only I had knobbies or even "dual sport" tires, this would be a snap. Instead I waste half an hour trying to get up through a dry stream & this stupid hill!

Old 08-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #27
blrmaker
Veteran

Motorcycles: 02' R1, 95' CBR900, 99' R6 Track
Name: Stephen
Wow, what an adventure! Great photos.

Keep them coming.
blrmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #28
redline
Greetings from THill...

I'm able to get the bike through that obstacle, but each time I clear an obstacle, I'm more tired. I can barely walk now so how can I keep manhandling the bike out of being stuck? But, if I take a break to rest, that means more riding trails in the dark.

The trail so far turns out to be the "good" part. I finally get to the intersection of Soda Springs & Forresthill, but there are several forks and nothing's marked. I hike around for a bit to find that all directions look bad and the road is getting more beat up. I choose the correct route, but it's a winding uphill trail that's filled with gravel. Gravel! Dammit!! I thought that weird dust that feels like riding on sand was bad enough. Gravel sinks, tips and tries to drop the bike unpredictably. I have no choice but to press on. I don't have the energy to backtrack. But, the steep hills & gravel mean I'd be better off walking the trail – but what to do about this 400 lbs of "luggage"? I push, ride, dig, and just keep trying. The camera battery low and so is the sun. I ride for an hour in the dark; in the dirt.

I haven't had cell reception for at least 15 miles (if ever). This was a bad idea, but I have no choice but to move on. I start to realize that a mechanical breakdown of any kind would leave me stranded.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #29
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman

Great thread..! keep it coming

Sporting a barf shirt even makes it better!

budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #30
redline
Greetings from THill...

I continue on in the dark making terribly poor time. It was hard to ride this bike in full sun. In the dark and with the trail filled with loose gravel and sand, I'm practically walking the bike forward.

Suddenly, something reflects the light of my headlights. When I get there, it's a sign. Better yet, it's pavement!! F*$@k! 25 miles of dirt? It felt like 50! Oh, wait, 27 miles to Soda Springs. Soda Springs was another 20 miles of dirt!

In a dualsport this might have been "fun," but on this bike it was not worth it at all! It's about 10:30 now and the sign says it's 27 miles before I'm back on Hwy 80. Plus, it’s a few hours more on Hwy 80 to get back home.

The paved part of Forresthill is better than hwy 9. I wish I could see (it's pitch black). I also wish I could move! This road looks so sweet if only I had the energy to ride it well.