boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
I roll out of Marysville and up 70 to Oroville where I have to stop for a mandatory gas receipt. It's a good thing though, since I need it. The pump shuts off a bit late and blasts a quick overflow of gas on my tank. I'm sitting on the bike but it doesn't get on me. Whew! When I'm done topping it up all the way the pumps asks me if I want to buy lottery tickets. I've never seen that before but it's genius. Gotta be a money maker for sure.

From here, I plugged all the bonuses into the GPS on the way to Gerlach. According to my mental schedule, I'd have time to make them. There were 6. The numbers looked favorable so I went with it.

Pulling out of Oroville the grade steepens and the front tire is pointed into the canyon, up 70. Having been here last year in the day light, I knew what to expect, but also what I'd be missing. I kept the pace conservative and steady with my LED's illuminating things pretty well. On the rare occasion that a car was coming the other way, I became aware of just how important good driving lights are. It was so dark out there that my stock headlight, which is pretty good wouldn't let me comfortably cruise more than about 40 MPH in those curves. Along the way I saw a guy in a yellow riding suit next to what could only be a BMW R1100S (those tail pipes!) hanging out at the rest stop. Was he in the rally? I'm pretty sure he wasn't...

At Twain I captured the bonus with the help of a good flashlight.

Just like last fall, I overshot the 89 turn off and had to turn around down the road a bit where it was safe.

In Greenville I pulled up at one of the bars and some drunk but friendly patrons who were on the porch smoking volunteer the the answer I was looking for. I double checked. They could have been plants by the rallymaster. They also knew where I was going. Not just the next stop, but the whole route. Obviously I was not the first person through here. Or was I? More on this later... Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe they were plants....

My new single-serving road-side best friends forever informed me that it was going to get cold before it got warm again. I powered on with the vents of my 'stich closed and the heated grips on low.

Over in Susanville I picked up the tavern bonus and bagged another railroad bonus. The GPS is pointing me out of town in a direction that I'm not comfortable with so I get the GPS to recalculate. It points me the same way and I follow it. I'm a bit turned around and it doesn't help that 395 runs east/west right here. After setting the GPS to "up=north" on the map, it makes sense and I go back to "track=up" to get the best view of upcoming stuff.

Alturas is a long way from Susanville. Like 100 miles. It's even farther at night after a long day in the saddle. The temps never warmed up after coming off the mountain to Susanville like I expected it to, and I was starting to shiver. Stopping to don the 'lectric vest, and a fleece sweater over that gave me a nice pause to shut off all the lights and look at the night sky. We forget how many stars there are to see in the sky by living in an urban area. The light pollution hides such a beautiful sky. I admired it for all of about 30 seconds then I jumped back on the bike and kept rolling.

The Alturas bonus was right where I expected it, but the Cedarville bonus was not. In fact, I'm pretty sure I wasn't even in the right place. I checked addresses (there aren't many posted addresses there) intersection (pretty sure I was in the right place) and rode back and forth a few times on the cross street. I checked a street over in 3 directions and couldn't find a thing. Mind you, it's 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning and I'm riding circles in a strange town. I finally decided that the bonus might be harder to find and could possibly require shining a flashlight around. Something I wasn't comfortable doing in a residential area this late (early?) at night.

Fearing that I'd blow my chance for the bonuses on the other side of Gerlach I gave up and moved on, leaving this bonus unfound. For reference now, I had bypassed two bonuses now.

In my mind I was already behind, because I had pegged at least two riders for having picked up all of the bonuses so far. My only chance to stay in this rally was to pick up everything else there was and hope that either of the two riders behind me would be running late and have to skip some of them to get to the finish on time. The last few bonuses were an integral part of the "theme" points, so if they had to skip any of them would then that would put me at an advantage.

I set off into the desert on Surprise Valley Road, which is also 447 in Nevada. I went right past the scenic byway that SFMCJohn had written about in his recent report (go look in Adventure Riding.) I had made a very strong point to know exactly where that road was and took a good look at his pictures. Sometimes having knowledge about a road like that could come in handy. It's a dirt road and I asked myself if I could ride it at night and keep a decent (30 MPH) pace. It looked like it could shave about an hour off a loop through Alturas from 447 and 395. I bet it could save that, maybe more.

It wasn't needed though, I had the time and I needed the points up north.

Rolling through the high desert I started to get fatigued a bit. I'd been riding for a long time and hadn't gotten off it for more than about 20 minutes at any given point. Most of the time it was 5 or less minutes and then back on we go.

To keep my mind in it I glanced at the GPS occasionally to see the ETA ticking slowly backward. The GPS was estimating my time based on the speed limit? I was travelling around 65 in the open, maybe 70 here and there, and so the ETA was ticking backward slowly. I also began to count rabbits. Anyone who thinks there's nothing alive in the desert should go ride a motorcycle on a dark road. Bunnies everywhere. They run across in front of you. Behind you. They sit up on the edge of the road. Two of them tried to split between my front and rear tires. They didn't make it. For the first few I would chop the throttle when they got out in front of me. After a while I didn't even make the effort. They'd either make it or not. I don't remember the final count, but it's now minus 2. There were cows out there too. The driving lights were good enough to let me see them a long time in advance. Of course at first I thought it was the biggest bear I had ever seen. Then when reality came around I realized that it was indeed, just a cow. As I slowed, it walked out into the road, stopped, and looked at me with that "what?" look only a cow can give. With one honk of the fiamms he was out of the way lickety-split.

The Iron Butt Memorial is just outside of Gerlach. So I went over there and bagged the bonus, paid my respects briefly to the Iron Butt Riders who have put their last mile under their tires and went over to town to the check point at Bruno's.

I bagged the extra bonus right there, without even getting back on my bike.

Oh yeah. And the sun was coming up.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #17
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

So I put all of the last leg waypoints into my GPS and I'll be damned if there isn't an hour and 15 minutes to spare at the end of the ride. Not good for me. Remember that I'm counting on at least two other riders having hit all the bonuses so far and I've missed two. This means that even if they leave the checkpoint when it closes, they'll still have enough time to hit the rest of the waypoints too. I'm not gonna beat them, I tell myself. So I set off to Carson City and bag the Bunny Ranch.

I get the information bonus at a bar in town.

I get the railroad depot.

I roll down to The Genoa Bar and collect the information there. Unknowingly, having ridden right past the Cal24 police twice. Apparently I hadn't surpassed the "speed limit" as I was not pulled over and assessed time or points. Yes, there is the Cal24 police and they do run radar. More fun and games. One could drive themselves crazy trying to predict where they'll be...

Back in Minden I bag the bank bonuses and head back to rally HQ for scoring. I still have an hour to play with, but the two bonuses that I missed are many hours away and it's too late to do anything about it.

I ride in to stop the clock, get my paperwork in order and get scored.

Last edited by boney; 06-14-2016 at 05:55 PM..
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #18
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Just posting so I can come back and enjoy this..!
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #19
nomi
Hoon

Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: AJS
Name:
Big congrats on the win boney! And congrats to all the other finishers too.
Thanks for the great report and pics it's outstanding.
nomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #20
RT_Russ
Half Fast at best......

Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Super Adventure, 01 R1100S
Name: Russ
Congrats Tom, you're a monster! I think working those firefighter shifts gives you an advantage over the mortals that sleep normal hours We need to get together for Pizza and beer soon

Russ
RT_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #21
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_Russ View Post
Congrats Tom, you're a monster! I think working those firefighter shifts gives you an advantage over the mortals that sleep normal hours We need to get together for Pizza and beer soon

Russ
Yes, we do!
Old 06-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #22
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

The scoring table is always stressful for me. Even though I've followed the directions the best I could, often time I find myself second guessing things as they come up, and sometimes an answer needs to be reviewed by someone who can make a judgement call.

Combine that with the ideas that one never really knows where the other riders have been and (of course) they've collected a perfect rally book. It's all a big unknown. Ask people out on the road what they've found and they might not tell you the full story, unless you're at the same bonus, and then it seems we all help each other. Ask them back at HQ (when the rally is over) whether they found one and it seems like everyone found the one that I couldn't. Grrrrr.

I went back to my hotel room, which had a checkout of noon, and took a shower then a 2 hour nap.

At the banquet, much fun was had. All the raffle prizes were (it seemed like) won by Eggman17 and his crew. A few stories were told and a bunch of joke awards were given.

Then came the final standings for the 24-hour rally:

Place, number, name, points, miles

1 14 Tom Fogle 12253 1028.7
2 22 Michael Roth 12066 709.9
3 2 Andy Mackey 11898 1075.3
4 3 Mike Brooke 11698 1009.1
5 12 Wendy Crockett 11426 1007.1
6 11 Rebekah Burchard 9507 765.3
7 7 Keith Underdahl 9199 998.2
8 1 Kenny Hudson 8868 970.1
9 7 Dave Biasotti 8591 813.3
10 4 Michael Moore 8263 1037.7
11 15 Donald Jones 3105 631.2
12 25 Robert Maselli 2746 1092.0
13 26 Benny Schultz 2574 743.4
14 24 Chris Sanguinetti 1522 1093.0
15 6 Mark Coulter 1000 604.7

And for the 12-hour rally:

Place, Rider #, Name, Score, Corrected Miles
1 8 Alan Barbic 4964 404.3
2 9 Jim Beckett 3962 427.2
3 13 Marc Sykes 3368 511.1
4 19 Chris/Cathy Ellis 2978 357.5
5 10 Robert Donahoe 2844 532.9
6 5 Bob Buck 2722 346.5
7 18 Cameron Brister 1952 403.3

Last edited by boney; 06-18-2016 at 06:16 PM..
Old 06-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #23
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

This is the third time I've ridden the Cal-24 and yet again I had an outstanding time. It was well run by a fantastic group of volunteers and provided a great challenge of riding and thinking.

I like to thank all of the organizers and volunteers, the rally master, Polio Plus and anyone else I'm forgetting for putting on the show.

Last edited by boney; 06-18-2016 at 06:23 PM..
Old 06-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #24
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

And here's the bike that took 4th place. Yes, that's a fuel cell on the tail.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #25
Eggman17

Motorcycles: FJ-09
Name: Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
The scoring table is always stressful for me. Even though I've followed the directions the best I could, often time I find myself second guessing things as they come up, and sometimes an answer needs to be reviewed by someone who can make a judgement call.

Combine that with the ideas that one never really knows where the other riders have been and (of course) they've collected a perfect rally book. It's all a big unknown. Ask people out on the road what they've found and they might not tell you the full story, unless you're at the same bonus, and then it seems we all help each other. Ask them back at HQ (when the rally is over) whether they found one and it seems like everyone found the one that I couldn't. Grrrrr.

I went back to my hotel room, which had a checkout of noon, and took a shower then a 2 hour nap.

At the banquet, much fun was had. All the raffle prizes were (it seemed like) won by Eggman17 and his crew. A few stories were told and a bunch of joke awards were given.

Then came the final standings for the 24-hour rally:

Place, number, name, points, miles

1 14 Tom Fogle 12253 1028.7
2 22 Michael Roth 12066 709.9
3 2 Andy Mackey 11898 1075.3
4 3 Mike Brooke 11698 1009.1
5 12 Wendy Crockett 11426 1007.1
6 11 Rebekah Burchard 9507 765.3
7 7 Keith Underdahl 9199 998.2
8 1 Kenny Hudson 8868 970.1
9 7 Dave Biasotti 8591 813.3
10 4 Michael Moore 8263 1037.7
11 15 Donald Jones 3105 631.2
12 25 Robert Maselli 2746 1092.0
13 26 Benny Schultz 2574 743.4
14 24 Chris Sanguinetti 1522 1093.0
15 6 Mark Coulter 1000 604.7

And for the 12-hour rally:

Place, Rider #, Name, Score, Corrected Miles
1 8 Alan Barbic 4964 404.3
2 9 Jim Beckett 3962 427.2
3 13 Marc Sykes 3368 511.1
4 19 Chris/Cathy Ellis 2978 357.5
5 10 Robert Donahoe 2844 532.9
6 5 Bob Buck 2722 346.5
7 18 Cameron Brister 1952 403.3
Congrats again Tom on the Win, Although we did rake it in at the banquet. What i really needed to win was a rain suit. lol The ride home was wet.

And now that we have our saddlesore complete, you may have a bit more competition from us next year in the rally.
Let the bench racing begin.
Eggman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #26
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
This is the third time I've ridden the Cal-24 and yet again I had an outstanding time. It was well run by a fantastic group of volunteers and provided a great challenge of riding and thinking.

I like to thank all of the organizers and volunteers, the rally master, Polio Plus and anyone else I'm forgetting for putting on the show.
Sounds like a damn good time.

A lot of riding that ends with one huge smile.

Congrats to all that found some smiles.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #27
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

I've been messing with my GPS and stuff... finally, after putting the bike away wet, more than 1000 miles past it's due service, only yesterday having been unpacked.

Using Spotwalla.com I can overlay my GPS track with my Spot track and create a map containing both. Here it is: