BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #16
1962siia
Veteran
 
1962siia's Avatar
 
AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + 3%

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rohnert Park
Motorcycles: xr100 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Name: Daniel
So sorry this happened! Sending positive thoughts and best wishes for a quick and complete recovery! Heal up!

So is that it for dirt or do you plan to get back out there?
__________________
1962siia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #17
Honey Badger
...iz a girl
 
Honey Badger's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
So sorry this happened! Sending positive thoughts and best wishes for a quick and complete recovery! Heal up!

So is that it for dirt or do you plan to get back out there?
Oh, I'll get back out there, I'm not one to let one freak accident stop me from something - not gonna lie, it sucks, and I'll probably be taking it really, really slow when I do get back out there, but I'll be back, if nothing else just to get on the proverbial horse again.
__________________
Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

CMRA & AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs


BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #18
NorCalBusa
Member #294
 
NorCalBusa's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: .
Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
I went to the ER, where they x-rayed and consulted with the on-call ortho. They put on a soft cast, and sent me off with some pain meds with instructions to contact a local ortho back home.

We had to re-xray the leg, and he wasn't happy. First, he wasn't happy the ER just sent me home, he felt it should have been fixed right then and there (I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever have a good experience in an ER - every time I've been in one, it has been a horrible experience either at the time or afterwards finding out their incompetence).

Secondly, apparently the break was pretty bad. Both bones fully broken just north of the ankle, with an angular break on the tibia. Additionally, there were hairline fractures through the tibia head, which concerned him in regards to the ankle joint. To top it all off, since the ER had just sent me home, I had developed a fracture blister, which would make surgery that much more complicated as they cannot break the blisters (significant increase in risk of infection if those are broken).
Don't worry- the ER will still bill you for $10k-$20k...

Heal well and fast
__________________
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.
NorCalBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #19
Honey Badger
...iz a girl
 
Honey Badger's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Well, I at least have insurance, may not be the best, but I specifically chose a plan that wouldn't destroy me financially in the case of a major injury since that's pretty much the only time I use it...my max out of pocket per incident and per year still sucks a bit, but won't leave me in poverty.

Getting some pretty bruising above the cast - I imagine my lower leg is just solid purple



Surgery Tuesday...already have all my post-op meds, starting to get my bed set up so for the first day or two the only reason I will NEED to move will be to get to the bathroom...
__________________
Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

CMRA & AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs


BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #20
Owl
Veteran
 

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: Ninja 500
Name: Mike
yikes, glad you're okay for the most part and sorting out the surgery stuff.

i broke my fibula last spring and my x-rays looked pretty similar to yours. sounds like your ortho is on top of things and giving you understandable advice about what happened and what to expect.

just my , and it sounds like you've been through PT before so this won't be new for you: the real healing comes from PT. (Good) Orthos can piece you back together (really well) but without good, focused, aggressive PT your body, mobility, and function will be limited. PT and working out increases natural testosterone production in your body, that's your body's super mutant healing factor right there and even if you can't do your specific PT/ankle exercises (because fatigue, soreness, need for rest), still working out your core/upperbody will produce testosterone and help your body heal naturally and more quickly.

also, last (promise), if you can get access to a pool (even a small one) take your exercises and make them into water-therapy. walking, jumping, going up and down stairs, side-steps, high-knees, leg kicks, balance exercises, running, can all be done underwater (waist deep or all the way up to your chest/stomach) and you can start doing it way earlier underwater than on dry-land in your PT schedule (of course consult your PT/ortho/listen to your body blablabla). the water soothes swelling, reduces impact, and helps improve coordination.

after a couple months of PT and my last follow ups with my ortho, i basically got 95-99% mobility back (and still going). best part IMO, i bought my first motorcycle less than 6 months after i broke my ankle

GL with your surgery tomorrow!
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #21
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -
 
EastBayDave's Avatar
 
Founding Member
From the heart

Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Lorenzo, CA "The Mudflats"
Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Surgery Tuesday...already have all my post-op meds, starting to get my bed set up so for the first day or two the only reason I will NEED to move will be to get to the bathroom...
This is the least of your worries.

Finally you get good docs = surgeons. They just work on bodies (excuse term =another piece of meat), & don't seem to be mentally involved before or after (my own opinion of course.) Every surgery I've every had has turned out good. This last one they saved me on table several times I hear when the old ticker gave out.

The bruising will go away fast within a month or two. That's no biggie; the pain & loss of function is what always bugs me. Sometimes it can take a loooong time to recover. I'm becoming an expert....

If they don't give you enough pain meds, don't be polite. This is what you pay for; pain mitigation. Get mad, scream, anything to get better meds. Constantly a problem getting docs to prescribe what they call: "Schedule 2" opioid drugs. "It's addictive" they say; & "they (US Gov't) passed some law making it illegal f/doctors to prescribe excessive pain meds."

"Bullshit. I can stop cold turkey anytime on any of these; & I am not an addict, I don't enjoy the after effects of these meds. Gimmie Gimmie you SOB, smack! I dang near floored my last stingy doc. He ran out of room before I could. Maybe this is why he don't like me?

They are always as tight as they can get away with; they'd give you nothing if they could get away w/it. That's why I say, scream @ them if you have to. I still have this problem to this day; fu_kers still have a problem prescribing pain meds. WHY if you are in REAL constant pain?

Don't worry about the bathroom; you may have to use a "pan" if you have to, but I'm not embarrassed about it anymore. Hopefully you will be in rehab long enough to get over that. Last time i was (just recently) I did, very quickly/no pan. I know, I know, talking about such things =

No worries; keep the positive thoughts & you'll come thru w/flying colors to ride again! Sorry about the lengthy post; this is all still very fresh in my mind but me thinks you will come out great!
__________________
Enjoy the ride!
EastBayDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #22
Honey Badger
...iz a girl
 
Honey Badger's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
yikes, glad you're okay for the most part and sorting out the surgery stuff.

i broke my fibula last spring and my x-rays looked pretty similar to yours. sounds like your ortho is on top of things and giving you understandable advice about what happened and what to expect.

just my , and it sounds like you've been through PT before so this won't be new for you: the real healing comes from PT. (Good) Orthos can piece you back together (really well) but without good, focused, aggressive PT your body, mobility, and function will be limited. PT and working out increases natural testosterone production in your body, that's your body's super mutant healing factor right there and even if you can't do your specific PT/ankle exercises (because fatigue, soreness, need for rest), still working out your core/upperbody will produce testosterone and help your body heal naturally and more quickly.

also, last (promise), if you can get access to a pool (even a small one) take your exercises and make them into water-therapy. walking, jumping, going up and down stairs, side-steps, high-knees, leg kicks, balance exercises, running, can all be done underwater (waist deep or all the way up to your chest/stomach) and you can start doing it way earlier underwater than on dry-land in your PT schedule (of course consult your PT/ortho/listen to your body blablabla). the water soothes swelling, reduces impact, and helps improve coordination.

after a couple months of PT and my last follow ups with my ortho, i basically got 95-99% mobility back (and still going). best part IMO, i bought my first motorcycle less than 6 months after i broke my ankle

GL with your surgery tomorrow!
Ya, I'm actually going to be reaching out to my trainer for a *heavily modified* training plan incorporating my limited mobility/abilities, but I'm already coming up with things I can do. I have ZERO intention of losing my fitness - I will have to rebuild that lower leg, but there's no excuse to lose everything else in the process. Plus, I find I heal faster/better the more active I am - sitting around and "waiting" for things to heal only seems to prolong the process (something I've seen repeated in many, many people).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayDave View Post
This is the least of your worries.

Finally you get good docs = surgeons. They just work on bodies (excuse term =another piece of meat), & don't seem to be mentally involved before or after (my own opinion of course.) Every surgery I've every had has turned out good. This last one they saved me on table several times I hear when the old ticker gave out.

The bruising will go away fast within a month or two. That's no biggie; the pain & loss of function is what always bugs me. Sometimes it can take a loooong time to recover. I'm becoming an expert....

If they don't give you enough pain meds, don't be polite. This is what you pay for; pain mitigation. Get mad, scream, anything to get better meds. Constantly a problem getting docs to prescribe what they call: "Schedule 2" opioid drugs. "It's addictive" they say; & "they (US Gov't) passed some law making it illegal f/doctors to prescribe excessive pain meds."

"Bullshit. I can stop cold turkey anytime on any of these; & I am not an addict, I don't enjoy the after effects of these meds. Gimmie Gimmie you SOB, smack! I dang near floored my last stingy doc. He ran out of room before I could. Maybe this is why he don't like me?

They are always as tight as they can get away with; they'd give you nothing if they could get away w/it. That's why I say, scream @ them if you have to. I still have this problem to this day; fu_kers still have a problem prescribing pain meds. WHY if you are in REAL constant pain?

Don't worry about the bathroom; you may have to use a "pan" if you have to, but I'm not embarrassed about it anymore. Hopefully you will be in rehab long enough to get over that. Last time i was (just recently) I did, very quickly/no pan. I know, I know, talking about such things =

No worries; keep the positive thoughts & you'll come thru w/flying colors to ride again! Sorry about the lengthy post; this is all still very fresh in my mind but me thinks you will come out great!
Well, so far this doc does NOT seem to have issues making sure I have pain meds - in fact, quite the opposite, I was tolerating things with what I had, and he insisted on sending me home with something stronger

I think the main thing is going to be making sure them and I are on the same page about the importance of "timing" and that I have need of making this recovery as quick as is safely possible, but time is not a luxury I can afford when there are more effective ways of accomplishing things.
__________________
Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

CMRA & AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs


BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #23
doc4216
Coastie who high fives
 
doc4216's Avatar
 
AMA #3289553
Contributor + + + + +

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Alameda
Motorcycles: 2016 R1200RS
Name: Shannon
Good luck tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2709.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	489262  
__________________
A straight road never made a skilled rider.
doc4216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #24
Honey Badger
...iz a girl
 
Honey Badger's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4216 View Post
Good luck tomorrow!
Thanks, looks like things got delayed to Wednesday am, but i kind of prefer that...first appt of the day instead of the last....

I'm stealing the meme lol
__________________
Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

CMRA & AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs


BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #25
doc4216
Coastie who high fives
 
doc4216's Avatar
 
AMA #3289553
Contributor + + + + +

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Alameda
Motorcycles: 2016 R1200RS
Name: Shannon
I agree, first thing with fresh eyes is much better than end of day tired eyes.
__________________
A straight road never made a skilled rider.
doc4216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #26
dtrides
Veteran
 
dtrides's Avatar
 
Contributor ++++ + + + + 4%

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Eureka,Ca.
Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono Factory for the street, Sv 650s for the track
Name: Duncan
Hope they get you all patched up tomorrow so you can heal in the off season
I did the tip/fib when I was a kid...it took quite a while to heal up (my Dad asked if I would be able to walk ok with out going in and pinning it, Dr said probably, so no surgery, only slightly crooked foot now).
Take advantage of all the help that is offered for first month or so, no need to be Super Girl.
Wishing you the best tomorrow (or when ever you go under).!
DT
__________________
TPF-PM
AFM 989
dtrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #27
Randy B
Veteran
 
Randy B's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: 2013 Honda CB1100
Name:
Good luck with the surgery. I am completely amazed that the ER sent you home like that. It just wreaks of incompetence to me.
Randy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #28
Lunch Box
Useful idiot
 
Lunch Box's Avatar
 
Contributor ++++++

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pacifica, CA
Motorcycles: Dino and electron. Street and dirt.
Name: Aaron
I just saw this and I'm so bummed for you. I had an almost identical injury about 15 years ago and it sucked. If it makes you feel better, it doesn't even make my top 5 worst injury list.

Seriously though, keep positive, take as few pain meds as you can, and let us know if we can be of service. Make that worthless team mate of yours help you out, too. ( Paul) :P
__________________
"No orifice is safe! Spread the word." - byke
Lunch Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #29
RT_Russ
Half Fast at best......
 
RT_Russ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fairfield
Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Super Adventure, 01 R1100S
Name: Russ
Damn it that sucks. I'm sitting in Kaiser as I read this I'm in Fairfield, do you need anything?

Russ
RT_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #30
Honey Badger
...iz a girl
 
Honey Badger's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch Box View Post
I just saw this and I'm so bummed for you. I had an almost identical injury about 15 years ago and it sucked. If it makes you feel better, it doesn't even make my top 5 worst injury list.

Seriously though, keep positive, take as few pain meds as you can, and let us know if we can be of service. Make that worthless team mate of yours help you out, too. ( Paul) :P
Haha, already had him switch trucks with me since there's no driving a stick for me right now

Already ordered some supplements, having my trainer put together a highly modified workout plan, and expressed my need for aggressive PT, so doing everything in my power to speed this process along. Will give myself a few days post op to be chill, but after that, I want to be sure I'm getting up and doing shit rather than sitting around waiting for things to take care of themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_Russ View Post
Damn it that sucks. I'm sitting in Kaiser as I read this I'm in Fairfield, do you need anything?

Russ
I think I'm good right now, thanks! Should be pretty well set for the week at this point.
__________________
Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

CMRA & AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs


BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.