Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
Riding a motorcycle is not 1's and 0's. It is not a digital process. It's more analog / fuzzy logic. If you are looking for a specific definable answer to motorcycling techniques, I don't think you are going to find it.
This.

The two techniques are not opposing, nor viewpoints.

They are part of the same parcel. Counter steering initiates a turn.

Body movement can tighten a turn, and present the bike to a better exit.

Anyone riding a bike uses both to some degree.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #32
Outta Control
Renegade Drone Pilot

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 S1000RR Motorrad aka TaZ
Name: OuttaCtrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
Riding a motorcycle is not 1's and 0's. It is not a digital process. It's more analog / fuzzy logic. If you are looking for a specific definable answer to motorcycling techniques, I don't think you are going to find it.
I like that analogy. Keep it up.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

"Non-stop pursuing of wealth will only turn a person into a twisted being, just like me."..."Material things lost can be found. But there is one thing that can never be found when it is lost – “Life”." Steve Jobs

motorcycling is for everybody, but not everybody is for motorcycling
Outta Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #33
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta Control View Post
I like that analogy. Keep it up.
Me too. If it was 1's, 0's and algorithms, motobot would be beating Rossi ...

CMRA & AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #34
rcgldr
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2001 Hayabusa
Name:
Thanks for all the answers, I found them helpful.
rcgldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #35
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
lets not kid ourselves, Motobot will eventually beat Rossi/MM/etc. motorcycle racing is a definable problem - given a set of inputs, what controls are needed to produce the required output. the current issue is not that this concept is wrong. its that we havent yet defined enough of the inputs or possible controls. teaching a human is far cheaper than learning the rest and teaching a computer to do it. just give it time.

as far as jumping on rcgldr for trying to define more for himself, thats just bullshit. imagine where we'd be if similar complaints were made about Code, Foale, Ken Hill, etc. understanding is great. it may or may not help someone go faster around the track, but who cares. learning can be fruitful all by itself.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 11-21-2017 at 11:26 AM..
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #36
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
lets not kid ourselves, Motobot will eventually beat Rossi/MM/etc. motorcycle racing is a definable problem - given a set of inputs, what controls are needed to produce the required output. the current issue is not that this concept is wrong. its that we havent yet defined enough of the inputs or possible controls. teaching a human is far cheaper than learning the rest and teaching a computer to do it. just give it time.

as far as jumping on rcgldr for trying to define more for himself, thats just bullshit. imagine where we'd be if similar complaints were made about Code, Foale, Ken Hill, etc. understanding is great. it may or may not help someone go faster around the track, but who cares. learning can be fruitful all by itself.
Maybe. In that MotoBot can be programmed with a huge number of variables and responses to them, eventually. Whether that reaches the level of AI, or just passes the Turing test is moot. We all know just how many variables there can be out there and how quickly they arise.

Remember, on the track, the human brain integrates complex equations of velocity, time, weather, light, tire wear, braking ability, available traction and others, and does it in a real time basis that allows the rider to go pretty damn fast. My feeling on the Motobot is that it will never be a true AI, but rather a machine that is programmed to react to huge data inputs quickly.

The equations that one needs to do to program a robot to catch a thrown ball are pretty data dense, as the throw will vary every time. Yet a human does them with no problems instinctively.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #37
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
How many times has this been posted? Needs to be a sticky?

Street riding? Countersteer.

Everything else, worry about it when you get fast enough.

ta daaa.....
Old 12-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #38
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Leg dangle is to take any possible weight from the inside peg so the bike doesn't initiate the turn in too early. MotoGP bikes are braking NEAR THE APEX at the same brake pressure as an AMA Superbike is using as it's max braking. At max braking, a MotoGP bike is near double the brake pressure of an AMA super bike. Riders that have their bodies shifted to the inside of the corner will inadvertently weight the inside peg at the wrong time when under max braking in some corners.

Notice when MotoGP riders do take the leg off, they're braking super heavy.
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #39
darkie
Dylan Code

Motorcycles: Hodaka Wombat Combat
Name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VqXBA-sGHA
darkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:35 AM   #40
khill
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Founding Member
1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Yes
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Leg dangle is to take any possible weight from the inside peg so the bike doesn't initiate the turn in too early. MotoGP bikes are braking NEAR THE APEX at the same brake pressure as an AMA Superbike is using as it's max braking. At max braking, a MotoGP bike is near double the brake pressure of an AMA super bike. Riders that have their bodies shifted to the inside of the corner will inadvertently weight the inside peg at the wrong time when under max braking in some corners.

Uhhhh, what?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #41
fortyonethirty
concussed

Motorcycles: '12 kx450f
Name: Ian Tanner
Quote:

IDK. Hard braking is hard braking. Everyone has only til the back wheel comes up, doesn't matter what sponsors name is painted on the side.

I think the leg dangle is like a braking gauge, the rider can feel how much the rear starts to lift, that and the dragging foot also to help steer the rear of the bike.

As far as counter-steering goes, I would suggest that anyone who wants to learn about it, should go to a familiar riding spot, go through some corners with you hands holding very loosely to the bars, and focus attention to the pressure that you palms and fingers apply to the grips, and that will help you to notice what exactly counter-steering is.
AFM #718

Last edited by fortyonethirty; 03-13-2018 at 12:52 PM..
fortyonethirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #42
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris

youtu.be/mbrTZbjNUec
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #43
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkie View Post

Thanks for that Darkie.

I am on board with Keith's thinking. Your brief intro on his thoughts are the same as mine. Probably because he had such an influence on me..

This Vid is interesting as well.. showing how just one finger counter steer will adjust the direction of the bike. Dude is a little goofy but it is still a good example for folks to absorb that are just getting into the serious aspects of this.

youtu.be/ljywO-B_yew
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #44
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Hey Ken, how about Ceasering us up an explanation better than "uhhh what". As you're well aware, my income isn't derived from instructing. Maybe take a shot and give us a nice long explanation. It'd be a new thing here for ya! I'm sure we'll all learn something and not have to pay someone for it. FREE INFORMATION! WOOOOOOOOO!
rem my suspension thread a little while back that mostly ended w/ u telling me to call someone. are u not being a little hypocritical now?
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #45
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
Interesting...Vindication from an "uhhh what"! Interesting comment on the locking out of arms to resist braking forces, but I don't see how a leg off is aiding in that technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
rem my suspension thread a little while back that mostly ended w/ u telling me to call someone. are u not being a little hypocritical now?
Not really. Call them what?

Last edited by Holeshot; 03-13-2018 at 02:10 PM..
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote