Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 03-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #31
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
Im not sure why motogp cant have live radios

Yet we use live radios on f1 cars.... complete with mirrors on their cars as well......

From a safety perspective, why the fuck not, from a racing strategy - why not, you hear the drivers asking their pits in the radios wtf the other teams are doing and they themselves get to decide if they want to pit now or later or save tires or later etc.

It seems like all radio is open to all teams, they all heard Hamilton complain that he didnt think after his 1st pit he would make it through end of race on those tires competitively.

I rather have gp riders have radio 100% they can tell you whose coming in/outta pits/ whose behind you, whose gaining on you, when you can go easy, when you need to defend, when you need to push for the win, you pass pitrow once and that is what tells you whose behind you and the gap.

Its like the racecraft is 25% driver and 75% what the team suggests how you pit and when you use your tires to push, vs gp is you do everything your goddamn self, you dont even have mirrors to check who the fuck is behind you. Lol the drivers ask the pits wtf should i do all the time? Stay in this position, go for the win, save tires or drive defensive - like they cant decide for himself.

Last edited by FXCLM5; 03-17-2019 at 12:12 PM..
FXCLM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #32
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Well, that was an unexciting race. I get the impression that Hamilton turned down his engine and saved it for another race(s) after Botas got hims on the start.

You know it's a boring race when the 1 point for fastest lap of the race constitutes the most excitement over the final 20 laps, I guess we should be happy to have that.

I don't know why Ferrari didn't give their clearly #2 driver a shot at the point for fastest lap, wouldn't it be ironic if they lose the constructor's Championship at the end of the season by 1 or 2 points, there was a 30 second gap to the next car and the pitstop delta was 23 seconds.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #33
sf250gto
Zen

Motorcycles: Aprilia RSV
Name:
Agreed...boring. Ferrari was disappointing...both performance and team orders to "prevent an incident over non-podium position."

I do want a Bottas t-shirt, "To whom it may concern, Fuck You!"
sf250gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #34
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
IDK, I thought it was exciting that Bottas ran away with it and left Hamilton and Vettel mumbling to themselves.

Verstappen drove level headed as did LeClerc who may cause major headaches for Vettel this year just like I hope Bottas does for Hamilton.
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #35
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

What did people think of the tire strategies?

I think the Mercedes screwed the pooch with Hamilton, they almost played into Vettel's hands with that bonehead move of bringing Hamilton in early, if Vettel had gotten past Hamilton when they clearly had a better pace on the medium, it would have been hilited more as a bad move on Mercedes part. I'm wondering if a factor in Ferrari's decision to bring Vettel in early was the specter of Verstappen coming up on Vettel.

I was disappointed to see how poorly Williams is doing as a team.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #36
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Name:
Hamilton had pace issue on lap 2 bro, he never could keep up with his teammate that weekend regardless of getting fastest pole.

Also they said they found damage to the undercarriage of his car.

What was really cool was Hamilton putting it down on old tires when Verstappen was on his ass the last few laps of the race. He was 1 sec behind and coulda shoulda passed with DRS easily, but somehow Hamilton kept him behind

Also that honda motor in redbull is fooqn flying, renault has more motor issues..... wtf man

Last edited by FXCLM5; 03-18-2019 at 07:37 PM..
Old 03-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #37
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

I don't rule out the possibility that Hamilton was giving back to Botas after that debacle last year, but had to do it in a way that Botas wouldn't see through. There is no way that Botas is suddenly 1/2 second faster than Hamilton throughout the race. Keeping Verstappen at bay on very worn tires was IMHO an example of the pace he had in hand.

I wonder if Vettel is going to go into his shell if his teammate shows equal pace to his own. I remember when Riccardo joined RedBull and Vettel just shut down.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #38
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Name:
Depends on how Ferrari team manages it, if they keep placing Vettel > Leclerc it will be interesting.

leclerc had the pace and tires (at pit) but ferrari told him to bring the car in 5th, no reason to challenge vettel for points.

This is what i mean by radios, all of a sudden you cant push anymore...

I guess this would be a big factor in GP, all of a sudden your told you cant pass your teammate..... holy fuck that nonsense.

Last edited by FXCLM5; 03-18-2019 at 09:24 PM..
Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #39
DReg350
Just Another Rider

AMA #3283440
Just Another Rider
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++++++GOPx2

Motorcycles: BMW F650GS
Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
Depends on how Ferrari team manages it, if they keep placing Vettel > Leclerc it will be interesting.

leclerc had the pace and tires (at pit) but ferrari told him to bring the car in 5th, no reason to challenge vettel for points.

This is what i mean by radios, all of a sudden you cant push anymore...

I guess this would be a big factor in GP, all of a sudden your told you cant pass your teammate..... holy fuck that nonsense.
The cars are stupid expensive and this was the first race of the season. I can kinda understand not wanting to smash both cars and throw away points this early. I recall an incident from the Netflix show where one teammate took out the other; although, I can't recall which team. Passing in Australia was damned tough. The best pass I recall from watching the race was Magnussen. Definately rooting for Haas this year.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #40
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Excellent breakdown on what happened at the start of the race.

Jolyon Palmer's Analysis: How Bottas out-started Hamilton in Australia
Old 03-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #41
DReg350
Just Another Rider

AMA #3283440
Just Another Rider
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++++++GOPx2

Motorcycles: BMW F650GS
Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post

That was cool, Climber. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #42
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post

The amazing thing wasn't the start, which was clearly excellent, but the finish.

+21 over Hamilton, +23 over Verstappen and a stunning +57 seconds,(or a second a lap), over Vettel.
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #43
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJ View Post
The amazing thing wasn't the start, which was clearly excellent, but the finish.

+21 over Hamilton, +23 over Verstappen and a stunning +57 seconds,(or a second a lap), over Vettel.
More on Hamilton in race
Quote:
…but Lewis won’t be any less of a threat

I confess, I was pretty puzzled by Lewis’s race and his attitude immediately afterwards. It was almost like he didn’t care that he’d been beaten by 20.8s by the team mate he’d beaten to pole.

It looked like he’d had a catastrophic defeat, and yet he didn’t seem overly concerned.

His reasons became clear later, as he related how he’d not got his clutch bite quite right and had made a lousy start that almost certainly meant he would be hard pressed to win (given that the race had, of course, reset everyone to zero points at the start of the season so no team orders applied).

Then came the problem that began to manifest itself from the fourth lap, when his car’s balance went to pot as the rear end started getting loose. Post-race inspection revealed that a big chunk of floor ahead of the left-rear wheel had gone AWOL, robbing him of a lot of downforce.

REVEALED: The floor damage sustained by Hamilton's Mercedes in Australia

Debris damage, from either Daniel Ricciardo’s front wing self-destruction or Williams’ Robert Kubica’s loss of his own front wing and a mirror?

“It could have been,” Hamilton agreed. “It happened on the fourth lap, and I had no way of telling then that it was the floor, so I just had to work with what I had. All of a sudden the car was completely different to what it had been on the formation laps.

“To begin with, I was sitting close to Valtteri, trying not to hurt my tyres and waiting to see what might happen, but with the handling problem and then the early stop I had to make [as Mercedes had to cover early stopper Vettel], I knew that the win had gone. After all, I had to run 43 laps on a set of mediums… I still had plenty of pace, but you need a delta of 1.8s to try and overtake here, and once the gap had opened up I just drove fast enough to make sure that I kept second and still had tyres left for the end. I did that rather than push to try and keep up with him and ruin them.”

He was more upbeat than he’d been in the car while telling his engineer Bono how much he needed the extra point for fastest lap, but you’d expect that. It’s how the human psyche works as you overcome a negative. Not that second place was exactly a disaster, once you understand some of the reasons why it wasn’t a victory. It’s already 18 points in the bag in his mind rather than eight points lost, and he’s recharging ready to attack again in Bahrain.
Source
Old 03-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #44
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJ View Post

I feel like the spread doesnt mean much vs like gp, you have way to many sandbaggers and the pits make/brake laps when you re-enter back on field with coldish tires. And then this dedicated DRS zones..... wtf I bet gp wants to hit a button and decrease drag somehow and give a slingshot bump in front of the other rider.

TBH I thought they would have a electrical super go fast now button by now that would regenerate after a few laps, then they can use it and save up for it etc.

Last edited by FXCLM5; 03-20-2019 at 05:54 PM..
Old 03-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #45
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Loving that documentary. Very cool to see things unvarnished, particularly the personal dynamics between team members and between teams.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote