Famous quote of the race from him: "Why are we so slow?"
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #47
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
Impressive qualifying by Leclerc, and Ferrari...
Old 03-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #48
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
What was up with Vettel? He didn't seem himself, is this the start of what happened during his last year at Redbull?

What are the odds of LeClerc matching Vettel's record down to the 3rd decimal place on his first Q3 run?

Seemed like Hamilton knew he wasn't going to match LeClerc's pole position so saved the car/tires for the race.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #49
sf250gto
Zen

Motorcycles: Aprilia RSV
Name:
The skeptic in me says Ferrari set up LeClerc to get pole as pay back for team orders at the last race.

Bets on both Ferrari's getting through the first corner unscathed?
sf250gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:55 AM   #50
My900ss
Puts the work in

Founding Member
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: .
Name:
They are running 1 & 2 on lap 23 so the Ferrari’s are doing well. Lap 24 may be a different story but it was true on lap 23

Last edited by My900ss; 03-31-2019 at 07:56 AM..
My900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:04 AM   #51
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor ++

Ferrari...

Leclerc...

Vettel...
Old 03-31-2019, 10:22 AM   #52
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Much of the race was boring, then got exciting for awhile, the LeClerc was robbed of the win by engine issues.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:31 AM   #53
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor ++

I didn’t think it was boring with all the passing, especially mid pack.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #54
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndicezx9 View Post
I didnít think it was boring with all the passing, especially mid pack.
It was a fascinating race in the end but definitely some "problems" seem to be cropping up.

The Mercedes/Ferrari battle is more interesting now that the number two drivers on both teams seem to have fire in their bellies.

LeClerc shows that he may usurp Vettel as he is capable of passing without crashing, (like VerStappen used to), as is Bottas but it seems that Vettel is crumbling under pressure. Hamilton clearly thinks LeClerc will be the one to beat at this point.

Unfortunately Red Bull, despite the wise move away from Renault engines, looks less competitive than last year, as does Haas, while Renault looks like their engine continues to be an Achilles heel.

It is nice to see McClaren show signs of improvement.

Hopefully the rest of the season won't be just two teams fighting for the top four positions.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #55
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJ View Post
It was a fascinating race in the end but definitely some "problems" seem to be cropping up.

The Mercedes/Ferrari battle is more interesting now that the number two drivers on both teams seem to have fire in their bellies.

LeClerc shows that he may usurp Vettel as he is capable of passing without crashing, (like VerStappen used to), as is Bottas but it seems that Vettel is crumbling under pressure. Hamilton clearly thinks LeClerc will be the one to beat at this point.

Unfortunately Red Bull, despite the wise move away from Renault engines, looks less competitive than last year, as does Haas, while Renault looks like their engine continues to be an Achilles heel.

It is nice to see McClaren show signs of improvement.

Hopefully the rest of the season won't be just two teams fighting for the top four positions.
We've seen Vettel shut down before when gaining a teammate who could challenge him in the team. It's only two races but if this inability to get on a level with his teammate continues into a third race I'd say that he's going to have a very tough year and will never get another championship.

It was really bizarre to wee both Renault's stop within a second of each other, it's almost like the second one was linked to the first which suffered engine failure, IIRC.

Verstappen seems to be driving with a bit more restraint this year, last year he would have tried harder to pass Hamilton at the start of the race when Hamilton came up on Bottas' tail, that could have easily turned into a hairball but Verstappen didn't try to exploit the situation like he would have in the past.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #56
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Much of the race was boring, then got exciting for awhile, the LeClerc was robbed of the win by engine issues.
Boring? This was the best race in a long time, save for the very end. Here's hoping the mid pack is this good all season long and that Ferrari really has the goods to compete up front week in and week out. Really hope that McLaren finds some reliability and we're able to see them back up there with Haas fighting for the top of the second tier.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #57
GAJ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Boring? This was the best race in a long time, save for the very end. Here's hoping the mid pack is this good all season long and that Ferrari really has the goods to compete up front week in and week out. Really hope that McLaren finds some reliability and we're able to see them back up there with Haas fighting for the top of the second tier.
Sad to see Red Bull slip back though.

Was hoping for Haas and Renault to take a step forward.

Raikkonen is doing better than expected though so like you hoping that moving forward all those teams get their shit together and press forward.

But I fear it's a two team race for the front vs the three teams more recently.

OK, well two and a half.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #58
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Going into final last runs, Hamilton was only 0.007 behind Bottas, amazingly consistent times especially since they were strong in different sectors.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #59
GAJ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Going into final last runs, Hamilton was only 0.007 behind Bottas, amazingly consistent times especially since they were strong in different sectors.
It's great to see Bottas seems to have come out of his shell, but that's not great news for other teams.

Vettel just seemed relieved to have beaten LeClerc in qualifying.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #60
sf250gto
Zen

Motorcycles: Aprilia RSV
Name:
Hey, LeClerc, the good news is you're on a top two team. Bad news is you're the sacrificial lamb for your teammate...no questions asked. I don't know when they determined he LeClerc was having some gearbox trouble. But at the time of the team order he was holding his own. That was about the only real drama in the race.

Nice recovery by Albon!
sf250gto is offline   Reply With Quote