BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Welcome Mat > Newbies

Old 05-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
robwormald

Motorcycles: BMW R1250GSA
Name: Rob
Talking Hi from the Santa Cruz Mountains!

Hi all - long time lurker, first time caller. Started riding a year or so ago, mostly because I was sick to death of sitting in traffic everyday commuting to work (Felton -> Mountain View). Picked up a F650GS (single) and rode that thing into the ground. I live on E Zayante Road which I was pleased to see listed as ďchallengingĒ on BARF - its my daily commute - maybe not the best road to learn on but itís good practice (and taught me the value of ATGATT when I got overconfident a couple months in and then panicked and low sided on those gnarly switchbacks with no knee pads...)

Recently picked up a new BMW R1250GSA HP (which I adore), and had my first off-roading experience at Metcalf the other day (which was the funnest thing Iíve done on wheels yet!) - turns out these big BMWs can do more than just take you to Starbucks - who knew!?

I come from a long history of fast cars, auto/rallycross, etc, and didnít get the bike bug till 36 years old, but now I have it *bad*.

Looking to do more dirt, adventure stuff (would love to head down to Baja one day), and track days (Iím resisting this so far because I know damn well after the first lap Iíll be at the dealer buying one of those new S1kRRs...). Iím always up for a buzz around the backroads, Zayante/BCR/9/etc - how lucky I am to live here!

Wave if you see me - either on my Blue/White/Red GSA or my bright green Audi RS3 (which Iím keeping, because honestly thereís no way Iím going over 17 in the rain, and thereís a lot to be said for 400hp AWD cages)

Cheers!

Rob
robwormald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Rob

Good intro

Great to hear the desire for dirt and adventure.
Hope you dig the barf

with a .

HohoGold
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
bmwbob51
BMWBOB

Motorcycles: 2014 BMW 1200GS 74 Norton Commando
Name: Bob
E Zayante Road is a chalenging road for experinced riders! BMW 1250GS is a big jump too, but the best bike I've ever owned. It'll do track days no problem!

This guy does ok on a GS1200 Adventure!
bmwbob51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: Ď18 Alta EX006, Ď17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Welcome. More later when I can figure out how to use you for the best of of the community. I assume you will be hip.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #5
robwormald

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
E Zayante Road is a chalenging road for experinced riders! BMW 1250GS is a big jump too, but the best bike I've ever owned. It'll do track days no problem!

This guy does ok on a GS1200 Adventure!
I always end up living on these sorts of roads... lived on Mountain Charlie before here, including that gnarly winter we had a few years back. Helps justify bike purchases to my partner - "what if the road washes out? Or a fire? We wouldn't want to be stuck! We should probably get a dirt bike, just to be safe..."

I bought my GS from that maniac in the video
Old 05-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
robwormald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Welcome. More later when I can figure out how to use you for the best of of the community. I assume you will be hip.
Sir, I have been accused of many things in my life, but not being hip ainít one of them. Let me know how I can help!
Old 05-26-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: Ď18 Alta EX006, Ď17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Can you share some interesting dirt roads in your neighborhood? My Alta EX is plated, but only has a 40 mile range. or less.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #8
robwormald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Can you share some interesting dirt roads in your neighborhood? My Alta EX is plated, but only has a 40 mile range. or less.
I've only found a few up Loma Prieta that I'm comfortable going down w/o permission - plenty of roads around here that look fun, but folks round here are... private. This sign on BCR is a good reminder of how people feel about private property... maybe an electric bike would be safer

I've met some interesting folks around here recently so hopefully I'll get an invite to one of these private ranches I keep hearing about...

Last edited by robwormald; 05-26-2019 at 06:40 PM..
Old 05-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
robwormald

One interesting side effect of cannabis legalization seems to be that a number of "farms" in this area (SLV / Boulder Creek / Bear Creek) don't meet the requirements to go legit, so there's a TON of 10-30 acre properties for sale with dirt trails all over them... i should make friends with a realtor...
Old 05-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #10
kattrap

Motorcycles: Boring ones.
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwormald View Post
I've only found a few up Loma Prieta that I'm comfortable going down w/o permission - plenty of roads around here that look fun, but folks round here are... private. This sign on BCR is a good reminder of how people feel about private property... maybe an electric bike would be safer
Casa Loma area near the summit of Loma Prieta would be at your own risk and I like where my face is attached to the rest of my head. https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...rt-2496811.php

So many cool old logging roads in the Santa Cruz mountains.. Zayante and Mt Charlie are some of the "goaty-er" paved roads that actually connect through to somewhere. I've found mostly dead ends / gates where maps have shown access.
kattrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #11
Alan_Hepburn
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1994 GL1500SE
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
Casa Loma area near the summit of Loma Prieta would be at your own risk and I like where my face is attached to the rest of my head. https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...rt-2496811.php

So many cool old logging roads in the Santa Cruz mountains.. Zayante and Mt Charlie are some of the "goaty-er" paved roads that actually connect through to somewhere. I've found mostly dead ends / gates where maps have shown access.
China Grade Road in Boulder Creek is a "fun" ride - especially with a sidecar!
Old 05-31-2019, 02:24 PM   #12
Coach74

Motorcycles: 1993 Honda XR600r
Name:
Welcome! I'm new to CA and BARF. I live in Capitola right off Bay.
Coach74 is offline   Reply With Quote