Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 03-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
As Costs Skyrocket, More U.S. Cities Stop Recycling

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/16/b...ing-costs.html

Now, according to State officials, we have another crisis, with no place to send our "recycling" it either gets incinerated or covered up in landfills.

Take a look at the cozy contracts the recycling/waste management companies have with local governments, someone is making a lot of money making you separate your waste but then just putting it into landfills along with the regular waste.

I took some old paint, muratic acid and oil/gasoline that was left behind from the POs of the house to the hazmat recycling center. I asked them what they did with it. They said they send it out to be burned or it gets put into containers and sent elsewhere. I asked what happened it then, "oh, they burn it too".

Other reference: https://www.wired.com/story/the-worl...has-to-happen/

Last edited by Schnellbandit; 03-16-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
SpeedyCorky
rides minibikes;U should2

Contributor +++++2%

Motorcycles: are clearly addicting; so you see - it's really not my fault...
Name: key-tay
"oh, they burn it too"

we are so fucked. its comical to me at this point. we so deserve it.

my brother worked at a recycle plant for a major city for a bit over a year. he swears up and down that its all a sham. if the cost of aluminum is down that week, they just throw all the cans away; if its up, they melt 'em and recycle 'em. he said the majority of the sorted crap just goes in the land fill. and that the overwhelming majority of food related recyclables get transferred straight to the land fill as well. consequently, he absolutely refuses to make any effort whatsoever to recycle. hard to blame him. i still separate cuz i'm big on the "I can only control what decisions I make" kinda thing. if the man wants to throw away the cans I separate, its on him, not me.

Gary J Cygnus Lloyd CulverDan

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; 03-16-2019 at 10:57 AM..
SpeedyCorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
Entoptic
Red Power!

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR
Name:
I do agree recycling is a sham. It's about using less not using more with the caveat that we can just recycle it.

Think about Starbucks. How many cups do they go through a day? How long is that cup being used as a cup in it's life cycle before being tossed or recycled?
Old 03-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
People can't really harm the environment anyway.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by byke View Post
People can't really harm the environment anyway.
Or get political about it....

In before move to poli-sink.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Name:
One thing it seems like a lot of landfills have in common is a good location for future towns and cities. Most have decent views if you move support structures out of the way, rolling hills, access to a steady ground water supply, good winds to move the wafting stench away, lots of dairies close by so you can get that local milk, and easy road access.

Don't worry, give it ten years, go back and someone will be selling prime view lots there for big bucks.
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
mrmarklin
Veteran

Motorcycles: Harley Crossbones, XL1200V
Name: Dave
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellbandit View Post
One thing it seems like a lot of landfills have in common is a good location for future towns and cities. Most have decent views if you move support structures out of the way, rolling hills, access to a steady ground water supply, good winds to move the wafting stench away, lots of dairies close by so you can get that local milk, and easy road access.

Don't worry, give it ten years, go back and someone will be selling prime view lots there for big bucks.
The Ritziest part of Mexico City was once a horrible land-fill.
103 cu in. kit by BFD Racing,

2015 Harley XL1200V with Stage One kit
mrmarklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndicezx9 View Post
Or get political about it....

In before move to poli-sink.
Trust was not political but the Budman political watchlist is in effect.
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #9
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
They need to follow what that tiny Japan village does, everything gets recycled differently. Even the gallon bottles, the caps and broken plastic lock ring gets recycled differently
Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #10
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: Ď18 Alta EX006, Ď17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
In the future, they will mine the landfills to reclaim all the raw materials there.

Until then, capitalism will reign. It’s not like we can control population growth.

Interesting times.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
Also local government is a joke.

My town of windsor was like lvl 2 water drought the past few years. Well Cali is outta the drought and my water bill is still avg more then my pge bill.

My retarded town rents some 3log poop art structure in the middle of a roundabout that they rent from the artists for like $12k annually. It seriously is 3logs of poop standing up like stonehedge.

My town also sold the entire waste disposal companies to another unit like 4x towns. The last company I prepaid for the entire year via online to save like 10-20%of total bill vs monthly. They basically shafted me by changing mid year and i lost like 3 months of service.

And the new company divides the recycle bin with a middle divider that breaks every other week and everyone just refuses to fix it currently, cuz everyone hates the new company the prices increase and literally forcing old ppl to cut down cardboard boxes to fit in the recycle bin.

You shoulda seen all the elderly outrages on nextdoor lol

Don't get me started on the multiple Taj mahal firestations we put in this town of 25k. Multiple 4-6 bay red brick massive fire stations.

Last edited by FXCLM5; 03-17-2019 at 08:33 AM..
FXCLM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
Reli
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
"oh, they burn it too"
How else do you expect them to deal with thousands of different types of household chemicals? They going to hire a team of chemists to study each and every one of those chemicals to identify a new life for it? No. Are they going to "blend all of them together" to create magic rocket fuel or glue or something? No.

Plus, just because they burn them doesn't mean they let all that smoke run free. They do what they can to do it cleanly. Now obviously if they ship it off to Myanmar or Bangladesh, all bets are off.

Left unspoken in this thread is the fact that most plastic and glass bottles are still profitable to recycle. I doubt much of that is simply being dumped. No, what's being dumped is the shitty plastic that isn't worth recycling, like plastic wrap, yogurt cups, milk jugs, etc. Along with food-contaminated shit, especially if it's greasy, like greasy pizza boxes. Cardboard becomes unrecoverable if it's greasy.

Also, maybe if idiots didn't put so much bullshit in their recycle bins, it would be easier and more profitable for recovery companies to stay in business. I see idiots putting entire garbage bags into their recycle bins. WTF do you expect the company to do with that? Pick up the bag and open it, to see if there's anything recyclable in it? Yeah right …..Not when a lot of it is probably kitchen waste that should have gone into the trash or the Compost bin.

Also idiots putting shit like pillows, futons, lamps, and styrofoam peanuts in there. WTF do you expect them to do with that shit?

What makes me laugh is Starbucks.....They have 3-4 different containers: Recycle, Landfill, Compost, and something else I forget. And when you look, they all have the exact same shit in them, because morons are either too lazy or stupid to pick the right container, or the store allowed them to get so full that nobody has a choice of where to put anything.

Last edited by Reli; 03-17-2019 at 12:42 PM..
Reli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #13
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
In the future, they will mine the landfills to reclaim all the raw materials there.

Until then, capitalism will reign. Itís not like we can control population growth.

Interesting times.
Why the organ recovery from the deceased alone would be worth the $$$.

----------------------------------------------

Like laws requiring action with no funding attached, recycling is just another effort where thinking past the initial response was lacking or completely absent. Recycling feels good and is good if done right. We left out the done right part.

Part of the problem is that we pay for recycling that should include the sorting of materials to insure their commercial value. Instead, we paid to become casual labor for the recycling and waste management companies (you sort your trash for them, they sell it) and they just shipped it to other countries who eventually got fed up with taking our trash labeled as recycled.

To top it off, we moved from going to stores to buying things online and every tiny item got it's own plastic bubble wrap or cardboard box not including the wrapping for the product itself.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #14
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnN...=EL_rvEcL5EUZc

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote