Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 03-17-2019, 02:02 AM   #1
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motatoe
Name: Heyou
The Answer to Road Rash

Hey All,

I came across this gem in a crash analysis topic and thought it could be useful out in general too... Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal scott View Post
If you haven't found it yet, 3M Tegaderm is the answer to road rash. Amazing stuff. Not cheap but you can leave it on for up to 7 days (survives showering-I've even been in a hot tub with it on). It is a transparent membrane that let's the skin breath but prevents any fluid escaping or bacteria invading. Wound doesn't scab up so the risk of scarring is greatly reduced. You can literally watch it heal through the membrane. For rash larger than the 4" x 4" size, multiple membrane's can be overlapped. Just make sure you scrub the wound well before applying as any bacteria left will be sealed into a perfect environment for growth.
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Thanks for the heads up!

I just ordered some for my track athletes, mostly for my hurdlers.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
BillSmith
Mild Hawg

Motorcycles: HD 2011 FXDF Dyna Fat Bob
Name: Bill
Thanks OP for the post.

Quote:
I just ordered some for my track athletes, mostly for my hurdlers.

When I played/coached football, would keep track (pun intended) of squad in spring by sauntering to the dual meets.

The cry of, "First call, intermediate hurdles", would perk my ears. Race started approximately mid-way on the back stretch, prime spot was a seat at the turn. Hurdles staggered at that point such that if the outside lane runner crashed, he could burn the rest of the field.

One rubber-legged hurdler could induce carnage reminiscent of NASCAR or the Indy500. And majority of tracks were cinder back-in-the-day.

I know exactly why Climber/Jim needs this product.
Sometimes a bike is just a bike.
BillSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
Marc
Rookie

Motorcycles: 18 BMW R1200 GSA
Name:
Those films work really well. In my more active cycling days the procedure was... 1) anti bacterial soap with a mini synthetic loofah to get the ground in dirt/dead skin 2) hydrogen peroxide with loofah as needed 3) bactine wash 4) clean rinse and a film. The cleaning part was very unpleasant but as stated...it needs to be clean. Not sure if medically it was technically the right procedure but it worked for us...ymmv.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
zammer
Tripler

AMA #3004877
1% Contributor

Motorcycles: '09 Triumph Street Triple R, '07 GSXR-750 (Track)
Name:
I use a lot of tegaderm in animal surgeries - it's useful stuff for sure, but our typical route is debride, iodine swab, wrap in a petroleum jelly gauze and then wrap that in the teg. It does stick to wounds if applied directly but certainly breathes well and self adheres.
zammer is offline   Reply With Quote