Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 03-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #1
mheinee
Rookie

Founding Member

Motorcycles: '93 GTS1000
Name: Mark
Eurocycle Sonoma?

Any good/bad experiences with them? I live in Sacramento and am considering a purchase from at that dealer. And is there service department trustworthy?

Thank you.

Mark
Old 03-17-2019, 02:33 AM   #2
Hammerin'Hank
On a nail...

AMA #: 2809843
Barf Sponsored Racer
Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, RC390, R1200GS
Name:
I believe the service tech is the same tech from when it was Santa Rosa BMW. You should ask when you call.

If so, stay away from the service department.

In terms of the dealership themselves? Theyre super cool, parts people are nice and the sales people are laid back.

Just my $0.02.
Hammerin'Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by mheinee View Post
Any good/bad experiences with them? I live in Sacramento and am considering a purchase from at that dealer. And is there service department trustworthy?

Thank you.

Mark
Not sure if Chris and Dennis still own it, (used to be called Santa Rosa BMW as their first shop was in Santa Rosa), but I bought 4 bikes from them over the years and had only one bad experience but that was in 1987!

So if Chris and Dennis no longer own it I don't have any experience with the new ownership.

Haven't had to take my BMW in for service as it has been sitting while I have spent more time on my bicycle the last 2 years.

The new Russian River Brewery Windsor location opened up across the street, so there is that!

Mind you, I hated hated hated the cacophony of the new glass/concrete/wood space at Russian River Brewing.

Last edited by GAJ; 03-17-2019 at 08:53 AM..
GAJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
I've talked to them a couple of times (about buying a bike). Seem nice enough. But they are definitely one of those shops that advertise some crazy low exciting price and then add tons of fees back on top.

So just work off the OTD number.

For me, they had a bike listed at $9999, a San Jose dealer had it at $12,999 ... OTD price ended up being the same ... Sonoma dealer added fees, San Jose dealer knocked price off. So I bought the one in San Jose as it is 15ish minutes away.
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Just looked at Yelp and it seems there was an ownership change last year and the reviews are, um, awful.

Chris and Dennis didn't haggle much on price but at least they were ethical.

It seems the new team is more devious as Yelp and the prior post to mine point out so Caveat Emptor.
GAJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
I think they are owned by the people who own EuroCycle in Las Vegas.
If they get your contact info...look out.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
shouldnthave
Taze away, Yana...

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ GOP + 1%

Motorcycles: Sure
Name: J
My last two bikes I bought through Costco Vehicle Service. It's amazing! No haggling, no BS, they give you a heavily discounted OTD quote via email, and if you agree you drive down to scoop it for that exact price. Both times I ended up buying in Sac, but saving over $2,000-$3,000 respectively was totally worth the drive.
shouldnthave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:22 AM   #8
mheinee
Rookie

Founding Member

Good information from everyone. The $9995 sale on leftover 2017 Stelvios have been really tempting. But I'm not so sure now. Our Moto Guzzi service in Elk Grove doesn't have the best reputation either...

Maybe I'll just go the safe boring route and find a clean used Versys 1000..

Mark
Old 03-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
usedtobefast
Veteran

I'd bet:
$9995 Stelvio
$1100 DMV
$1000 Freight & Prep
$350 doc fees

$12,450 total

Not bad for a bike with a $16 MSRP. But not as exciting at $9995

Have you called them? They'd probably let you take it on a test ride.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #10
usedtobefast
Veteran

Oh, one other thing ... Elk Grove is no longer a Moto Guzzi dealership.

Strange they still have Aprilia and Piaggio, but dropped MG.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #11
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobefast View Post
I'd bet:
$9995 Stelvio
$1100 DMV
$1000 Freight & Prep
$350 doc fees

$12,450 total

Not bad for a bike with a $16 MSRP. But not as exciting at $9995

Have you called them? They'd probably let you take it on a test ride.
Documentation Fees are capped at $55by law.
DMV fees (Tax, and License) are set by DMV, based on selling price, about 12% of sales price , depending on the county you register it in.

"$1000 Freight & Prep" is 100% pure dealer profit. They are reimbursed by factory for shipping.

"Prep" is Predelivery Inspection, a walk around and fluid check, test ride. Anything over 150 bucks is a little excessive in my opinion.

They may skirt CA laws by delivering those in Nevada where they can likely do whatever they want.

"BOHICA" applies here.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville

Last edited by moto-rama; 03-18-2019 at 05:48 PM..
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #12
mheinee
Rookie

Founding Member

Yeah the dealer "prep/freight/doc' fees are always so random and arbitrary depending on the dealer. I'm fine with recouping their cost for shipping and for the service department to check the bike over, but not price gouging just for additional padding.

It's still tempting to head over just to see what happens. I guess my biggest concern is more with the initial 600 mile service being done correctly. I have hard time trusting service departments, and would like the first service to done by a service department that will take the time to perform the OEM procedures and not mess it up.

I have a Triumph Tiger 1050 that had some work done in Roseville (A&S) before I bought it, and after I had it for a while, I found myself correcting loose fasteners, tightening hose clamps and bleeding the rear brake after the rear brake hose had been replaced..

Mark
Old 03-18-2019, 11:53 PM   #13
Hammerin'Hank
On a nail...

AMA #: 2809843
Barf Sponsored Racer
Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, RC390, R1200GS
Name:
Mark,

Honestly, do not let them touch your bike when it comes to service. If you buy parts from them or the bike, that's one thing and I have had good experiences with parts and have not bought a bike from them so I can't comment on that other than to say their laid back -- but service... fuck no. Unless they tell you that they've fired the prior BMW tech -- but I doubt they have as they just sent him to Aprilia tech school last year.

As far as I know, they have the same main service tech that was there when Dennis owned it -- and that tech ... well ... story time:

It's 2015.... My buddy has a K1200GT, transmission breaks and the bike wouldn't shift out of first gear. We decide to pay that dealer (with the tech I'm speaking of) to diagnose the bike. We fully intend on repairing it ourselves, but we want and are willing to pay for a real diagnosis.

Santa Rosa BMW, with Mr. Tech-guy tells us it'll cost $150 to diagnose the failure. We say okay. They take the bike, they diagnose it, and tell us "the transmission is broken." "We don't know what, but it's broken."

Naturally, that's not much of a diagnosis. My buddy, being a much calmer head than myself, says no worries what will it take to tell me what's actually wrong? They say that they need to pull the transmission and that'll cost another $150 to do. He gives them the go-ahead, so we're in this $300 now for a diagnosis.

So, after a week or so goes by - we call to check on it. The $300 magical diagnosis from Mr. Amazing Tech guy at Santa Rosa BMW is "the transmission is broken, we don't know what but its broken." I ask if it's a gear, shift forks, or what and he can't tell me. Just that it's broken and we need to give him $6000 for a new one to get it working as well as about another $1000 for a new final drive. No, I'm not joking.

My buddy, having the patience of a saint, doesn't even argue about the $300 he paid for nothing. He simply tells them okay, and to put the bike back together and we'll be back in a week or whenever it's ready to pick it up.

What next? Well, the shop tells us - and I'm not joking - that it'll cost another $150 to put the bike back together. I lose my shit, my buddy remains calm and just says forget it, we'll pick it up.

We go down to the shop and pick up his bike, in two fucking boxes. The transmission was in pieces in one box, and bodywork and everything else in another box, nothing labeled or anything. The bike, sitting half naked with a hole in the side.

My buddy pays them the $300, we get precisely ZERO of a diagnosis and a bike back in a box.

In the end we ended up repairing the transmission ourselves, replacing the final drive and fixing it.

So, as I said, so long as Mr. Clownface McTechPerson works there, stay away from it. Last I checked, the new owners had sent him to Aprilia to learn how to work on those as well -- and I can assure you, he won't change a fucking lightbulb on any bike I own. I fail to understand how the guy even has a job, honestly.

Feel free to print this out and bring it down to them, maybe they'll cut you a deal.

PS: Because those fucking clowns gave us the bike back in a box, we had to first learn how to assemble the damn transmission and install it into the bike, before we purchased the parts to repair and then remove it, repair it and reinstall it. Needless to say, it turned out to be quite the job and with zero help from that idiot.

Last edited by Hammerin'Hank; Yesterday at 12:47 AM..
Hammerin'Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM   #14
usedtobefast
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-rama View Post
Documentation Fees are capped at $55by law.
Well there are a lot of people breaking the law then!

I've purchased 3 new motorcycles in the last 2 years and each one had more than $55 listed for the doc fees.

I just work off the OTD door price and try not to worry too much about how they list everything out.

Like the above bike, if you got it OTD for $11K I'd be super happy and not worry what they put down for each line item.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #15
Gravisman
Rookie

Motorcycles: ZX-6R RSV4
Name: Gravisman
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobefast View Post
I just work off the OTD door price and try not to worry too much about how they list everything out. .
I never care about anything but OTD (why would I?) - only talk around that number and you can't go wrong.
Gravisman is offline   Reply With Quote