Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #46
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
Being a landlord is one terrible, terrible problem to have!!
Buy a house and rent it out. Report back in two years how it's going.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #47
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
If I had a property I was considering rent out in SF I'd ask an ungodly rental rate to cover all the potential shit that could potentially happen. If it didn't rent than fine as the thought of being a landlord never appealed to me.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #48
mercurial
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 09 Monster 1100S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
So you think if my friends were renting out their houses, those homeless people would be living in them? And you think the percentage of homes off the market for these reasons have even a rounding error of an impact on rents and availability?

Ridiculously stupid tenants rights laws have a much bigger impact than a small percentage of the population deciding not to sell a house they're not occupying on a full time basis.

In reality, the largest factor in that percentage is likely just typical friction in the market as rentals are under renovation or between tenants. But that doesn't make a good headline.
It was an analogy. I think you must have missed that, if you think I was suggesting that your friend's failure to rent has a clearly discernable impact on availability of housing for homeless people (although for posterity's sake, I will caveat that it does has a non-zero impact; any removal of inventory ultimately trickles down to price increases for all properties that are at or below the market of the home removed.)

Yes there are laws that protect tenants' rights, but outside of SF they are burdensome but not "ridiculously stupid". To say otherwise just makes you look like a drama queen. The main way you don't get burned as a LL, is do you due diligence. Run a credit check, check references, have a decent gut sense of people, and rent at slightly below market rate; you will have you pick of the litter of no-trouble, highly-qualified tenants, in this market.

There are several homes empty on my block right now, that are clearly owned by speculators. It's not friction, it's just stupid people being fucking greedy and thinking that the next wave of IPOs are going to allow them to flip the house for big bucks. Meanwhile, everyone that is actually trying to live in this area long-term gets to suffer.

Last edited by mercurial; Yesterday at 07:23 PM..
mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #49
littlebeast
get it while it's easy

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++!

Motorcycles: the red witch
Name:
considering all the write-off potential of rented property, i donít get not renting it out. too much dead investment weight. and yeah - there are probably those who are just in it for the appreciation, but thatís a risk, and potentially leaving a lot on the table in the meantime.

and any arguement about bad renters is IMO a non-starter. unless you have some POS run down property, good renters are no where near impossible to find.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #50
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer

Motorcycles: Ninja
Name: AE.Quentin
lots of unclear.

not even clear he's talking about his only home, AND it's obviously a day rental.

That's not even to mention that it is not exactly on topic any more.

AND it was a thread started with a false premise (title says "SF" but it's actually about the "Bay Area")
Old Today, 08:13 AM   #51
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
lots of unclear.

not even clear he's talking about his only home, AND it's obviously a day rental.

That's not even to mention that it is not exactly on topic any more.

AND it was a thread started with a false premise (title says "SF" but it's actually about the "Bay Area")
I got caught out by the false title in the article. The one in the OP link is the one from the article.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:54 AM   #52
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
Nothing really stops anyone from buying and owning their own home. It takes discipline, dedication and perseverance, qualities discounted in the agenda of demonizing landlords and there is little effort to distinguish the bad from the good but rather categorize them as bad by default.

For many people, saving money is an aversion and excuses that a person can demand to live in a certain place at a certain income level and pay a certain amount for a home adds to problems rarely acknowledged, that the failure to accept alternatives to not getting what you want is as much the reason for not having housing as any other.

Owning a home often means sacrificing to reach that goal and it isn't always some short term sacrifice. When the sacrifices are too great to bear that doesn't mean sitting around and blaming landlords is the solution, maybe it's moving, improving a persons education to get a better job.

Often, those who want to avoid the responsibilities of owning a home or being a landlord who rents to others are the first people to complain about the people willing to make those sacrifices they themselves would not make. It's just easier to blame someone else.
Old Today, 08:59 AM   #53
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
So you think if my friends were renting out their houses, those homeless people would be living in them? And you think the percentage of homes off the market for these reasons have even a rounding error of an impact on rents and availability?

Ridiculously stupid tenants rights laws have a much bigger impact than a small percentage of the population deciding not to sell a house they're not occupying on a full time basis.

In reality, the largest factor in that percentage is likely just typical friction in the market as rentals are under renovation or between tenants. But that doesn't make a good headline.
We own about 42 Buildings in San Francisco and about 5,000 units of housing. Your assessment is not incorrect.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:41 AM   #54
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FZ09
Name: Pete
1. Have a large family and extended family
2. Have a culture and family values that hammer on hard work and sacrifice for greater payoff later
3. Have multiple successful kids in moderately to extremely lucrative careers
4. Kids grow up to be successful and moderately wealthy uncles
5. By 2nd generation born here, you have a family pool of money able to donate or loan several thousand each for the next generation to purchase a home and get a head start.

Often, the 1st gen kids are able to purchase homes for their parents, let alone the 2nd gen. And it largely boils down to culture and values.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
NorCalAthlete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:43 AM   #55
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
1. Have a large family and extended family
2. Have a culture and family values that hammer on hard work and sacrifice for greater payoff later
3. Have multiple successful kids in moderately to extremely lucrative careers
4. Kids grow up to be successful and moderately wealthy uncles
5. By 2nd generation born here, you have a family pool of money able to donate or loan several thousand each for the next generation to purchase a home and get a head start.

Often, the 1st gen kids are able to purchase homes for their parents, let alone the 2nd gen. And it largely boils down to culture and values.
So, you're racist. If you think hard work and cultural discipline gets people what they want, you're a Nazi. Welcome to the Yay Area!.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote