BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Moto Photos & Videos

Old 12-13-2005, 07:01 PM   #31
tygaboy
Veteran

Motorcycles: The current project bike
Name:
Ah, sweet progress. Popping a part out of a mold is one of the most rewarding events in life - particularly when it pops right out and, result-wise, is right on target. In other words, so far, so good.
Now on to the splitter plate and the top mold. Wish me luck!

Last edited by tygaboy; 12-13-2005 at 07:17 PM..
tygaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:02 PM   #32
tygaboy
Veteran

Name:
And this underside mold would be suitable if I were to make a non race tank, too...

You can't see it in the pics but there are little dimples in the mold right where the petcock needs to mount - just like I wanted. I purposley 'dented' the tape when covering up the petcock mounting location so the location would be build into the mold. These marks will ensure there are no clearance issues with anything when we go to mount the final part.

Here's a shot of the other angle:

Last edited by tygaboy; 12-13-2005 at 07:10 PM..
tygaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:28 PM   #33
paroxysm
576cc PieGP world champ.

Contributor

Motorcycles: SM610, ZX6R, CR250, EX250
Name: Garret
That is so pimp daddy bad ass. How much for a 636 tank
Old 12-13-2005, 07:33 PM   #34
big pete
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda Monkey
Name: Pete
Great write up Chris . Keep us posted on every step...I'm interested in making a tank for my next bike
big pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #35
firstbuell
GO! 04,16,61,64,69,95

BARF Moderator: Fan Racing Forum

Motorcycles: 99 Buell M2 Cyclone;06 KTM 450 EXC-plated!;04 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Disc;19 Wilier Cento1Hy
Name: Curt
this really is the coolest thread

if the price is reasonable, I'd buy 1 of yer tanks for the '05 SV trak bike project.

I'm even ready to attempt building 1 up alongside you [& others?] - might you be hosting an SV CF tank party soon?

Zoran's been so generous, offering his invaluable guidance, and now it appears he's inspiring you as well....

"The only good thing about 2020 is MotoGP is fucking awesome"
budman

"Doohan Keeps Beating Injured Schwantz"
roadracingworld.com
firstbuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:11 PM   #36
jonb
Veteran

Founding Member
Barf Racing Sponsor

Motorcycles: 690SMC
Name: Jon B.
I need a new tank for my 05 after my 'accident' this summer past. C'mon, Zoran will vouce for me. I need a CF tank for this sv I am building up...

Please
jonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #37
TWF
training hard

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: sv's
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by jonb
I need a new tank for my 05 after my 'accident' this summer past. C'mon, Zoran will vouce for me. I need a CF tank for this sv I am building up...

Please
it would be hard to make one for you.tank would need cut outs for car doors
TWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #38
drizz
it's monkey madness!

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2 lil, 2 big
Name: Dave
Don't over-extend this guy. I have an interest in his possible next project

We're all on the edge of our seats, Chris
drizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #39
HellFyre
Super Fancy.

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2006 R6 (race), 2003 Z1000 (street), 2002 WR250F (dirt)
Name: Justus
Ok, a raise of hands, how many would like a first-gen SV CF race tank?

tygaboy, just take some time off work and start popping these things out.
AFM #707
David @ ZoomZoom Trackdays | Phil @ Aftershocks Suspension | Chris @ Motion Pro | Lee @ Vortex |
Zoran @ Twin Works Factory | Alan @ Sportbike Dynamics | Robert @ West Coast Motorz

[Post MD5SUM: 3009084ea996584d6ed4bf6fbefe7d1c]

Member of the Barf Chapter of the Ancient Order of Trusty Shellbacks
HellFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #40
drizz
it's monkey madness!

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2 lil, 2 big
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by HellFyre
Ok, a raise of hands, how many would like a first-gen SV CF race tank?

tygaboy, just take some time off work and start popping these things out.
I'm hoping to learn from the master after he finishes his Zoran tank. After I do, I'm sure I'll want ot practice, so I may be able to accomodate. We'll see. I'm excited to give it a shot as a new hobby.
drizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #41
jonb
Veteran

Founding Member
Barf Racing Sponsor

Motorcycles: 690SMC
Name: Jon B.
card door cutouts are already in the tank i have. just need to follow the lines of the dents.
jonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:19 PM   #42
MackeyStingray
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Ĺ
Name:
we need to have a seminar on making SV tanks, hangers, bodywork (+ repair), mounting brackets, run the whole gammut

actually anyone try making CF pegs or rearsets? figured if they can make CF wheels, it's strong enough to be weighed down by a std. rider. or just not really cost effective cause of the labor involved? or should i go at it w/ some scraps of 2x4??
Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 PM   #43
scratchpad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bagger
Name:
http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/SV650PRE2003.html

$1000.00 if you want to buy one
scratchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:03 PM   #44
eisenfaust
WHARRGARBL

Motorcycles: SV650 Streetfighter
Name: Patrick
Quote:
Originally posted by MackeyStingray

actually anyone try making CF pegs or rearsets? figured if they can make CF wheels, it's strong enough to be weighed down by a std. rider. or just not really cost effective cause of the labor involved? or should i go at it w/ some scraps of 2x4??
I imagine you could make the brackets without too much difficulty, however, a few complications arise.

First off, on the SV bracket, left-hand side, the pivot rod for the shift lever is a seperate part that screws into the bracket. You'd need a machined insert into the CF bracket for this to work. The same goes for the mounting hardware for the footpeg itself.

You also probably would not want CF foot pegs. I guess if you just made a 1/2" thick sandwich of carbon and kevlar, it could work, but the mounting hardware would still have to be metal, and again, you'd probably need machined inserts. Plus, you cant really put knurling on a composite part, and a rubber sleeve would just suck.

I imagine it would be do-able, but SUPER expensive for a savings in weight of a few ounces, no benifit to handling or anything, and besides, footpegs break a lot in crashes.

I think metal is probably the best thing for footpegs.

A carbon-kevlar subframe would be a cool idea, as would a CF fairing stay, or maybe even a super-thin CF airbox (though I dont know if race SVs retain the airbox or not).
So in the end if you've always believed, then you better give it all when you give it to me.
eisenfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:19 PM   #45
tygaboy
Veteran

Name:
Focus, people, focus. This is a thread about a carbon SV tank.
Let's start another to talk general composite stuff...

OK, to answer some questions:
1. My wife keeps me from over extending: "HEY! It's 1:00 in the morning...what are you still doing in the garage?!?"

2. The 2nd Gen SV tanks are not as straight forward as the early model due to the integrated fuel pump. Still do-able, just more steps involved. If anyone has a donor tank, let me know and we can take a look...

3. No plans and not currently interested in doing a 636 tank, sorry. Although...a buddy did just get a 636 so if he was interested...maybe. But nothing I'm likely to do anytime soon. (Haven't I convinced you to give this a go on your own?)

4. I'm hardly a master at this - more like a hacker who's willing to practice. Hey, that sounds a lot like my track day riding...
That said, if there was anyone who wanted to 'apprentice' on this tank project and be here to help me and get some hands-on experience doing some of the work, that would be cool. But you'd have to be serious, show up on time, etc. Contact me at chris.b.baker@kp.org if you're REALLY serious and we can see what might be possible. I do essentially all of my composite work on the weekends, usually in the afternoon.

5. I'm looking to schedule the "Composite Party" and assume a weekend would be best for everyone. Or maybe some time during the week between Christmas and New Years as I have a bit of time then. The real issue is I'd want to get one or more big tables and set up work stations for everyone so you could each work on your own part (likely an exhaust hanger) at the same time. I figure I can handle about 6 people so if more than that are interested, I'll have to look at more than 1 event. As much as I enjoy this sort of thing, I can't do many of these.

So I'm going to start another post on the Composite Party and work the details in seperate thread.

As far as this tank project goes, I hope to make the splitter plate and get at least 1/2 the top splash mold done this weekend. Pics as I make progress...