Notices

Old 01-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #31
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
In New England, highway cops have sneaky places to hide to nail people for speeding. Especially in Mass and Conn.

We don't see nearly as much of that around here.

I suspect that it's not California LE that is complaining.

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.

Stupid isn't a birthright, it's a state of mind. If somebody is Stupid, it's because they chose to be Stupid.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #32
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
Except that a speed trap is not what 95% of people think it is, at least not in California. And furthermore, speeding tickets are not means of revenue generation...at least not to the department.
All fines are income to the govenrment.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #33
}Dragon{
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ╯(°□° ╯)

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Your Moms.
Name: Heywood J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_the_koi View Post
Not the point of the thread man.

Not trying to bash on LEO's, more curious as to if they were actually afraid of Waze putting them in danger or if people thought it would put them in danger.

Let's keep the bashing to a minimum, like, -2 on a 10 scale.
Quote:
People have been doing this kind of stuff long before cellphones were around. What's next? Ban CB radios or radio scanners...or both?
Waze is not real time. I know of another application that uses GPS and your LIDAR/RADAR detector to tag active traffic enforcement locations, and it's "fairly" reliable.

Waze should not be an issue. If being "spotted" was a problem- wouldn't they all be in unmarked cars? Who wants that?
See the lightning in your eyes, see ‘em running for their lives- The Offspring
| TMU Local 916 Pitmaster
\Oo) _\ _w_ /_ (oO/
}Dragon{ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #34
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
All fines are income to the govenrment.
But, not the same one.

That is why some cities started writing 'speeding citations', because speeding ticket money goes to the state and they wanted the money.

There are a bunch of other kinds of tickets that city cops write much less now, because the money goes to the state.

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.

Stupid isn't a birthright, it's a state of mind. If somebody is Stupid, it's because they chose to be Stupid.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #35
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
But, not the same one.

That is why some cities started writing 'speeding citations', because speeding ticket money goes to the state and they wanted the money.

There are a bunch of other kinds of tickets that city cops write much less now, because the money goes to the state.
Does not matter WHERE it goes. ALL fines are unjust. Enforcing the law should ONLY EVER cost the government money.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Old 01-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #36
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Goldilocks
Name: Jason
How do you stop people from speeding then?

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #37
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
There have been numerous attmepts to ban using any sort of technology to notify citizens of speed traps and similar entrapment tools used by Police to generate revenue.
Or, consider that traffic laws are in place to make for safer roadways. When people are forced to comply with safety laws, it creates a huge expense to the government, for they have to process these violators in court. Consider that tax payers fund government. Now consider that the heaviest abusers of the system... The scofflaws so to speak, will cost tax payers more money, for they are likely to get more enforcement notices. Now consider that a user (violator) funded system will save money for the tax payers who choose to follow said safety laws. I don't know why you, as a tax payer, would take issue with that, especially since it avoids the conflict of interest in giving fine money to the agencies that generate the enforcement.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "

Last edited by bojangle; 01-27-2015 at 06:02 PM..
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #38
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Quote:
How do you stop people from speeding then?
First of all, fuck speed laws, fuck speed laws, fuck speed laws, fuck all speed limits always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
Or, consider that traffic laws are in place to make for safer roadways. When people are forced to comply with safety laws, it creates a huge expense to the government, for they have to process these violators in court. Consider that tax payers fund government. Now consider that the heaviest abusers of the system... The scofflaws so to speak, will cost tax payers more money, for they are likely to get more enforcement notices. Now consider that a user (violator) funded system will save money for the tax payers who choose to follow said safety laws. I don't know why you, as a tax payer, would take issue with that, especially since it avoids the conflict of interest in giving fine money to the agencies that generate the enforcement.
Well, for starters, it help validate frivolous enforcement. Secondly, the fine structure ein this country has a class bias. Joe Hobo is crushed by a $250 fine while Richie Slick spends that much every day to gas his 4X4 V8 Compensation wagon.

Also, fuck speed laws. Always. The only appropriate enforcement of the law is a suspension of privileges. Any Traffic law worth enforcing should be enforced by a suspension of the drivers license or impound of the vehicle at the expense of the impounding authority.

Last edited by Eldritch; 01-27-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Old 01-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #39
Kornholio

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Quote:
First of all, fuck speed laws, fuck speed laws, fuck speed laws, fuck all speed limits always.
Now that we got that out of the way...

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

Old 01-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #40
Marcoose
50-50

AMA #: 2818042
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '03 CBR954RR-ish
Name: Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
Do cops actually believe this shit? Are they retarded or just assholes who don't like their authority being diminished?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally View Post
Many are both.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #41
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

AMA #: 2823804
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + 8%

Motorcycles: 2005 Concours 2002 KLR
Name: The Koi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
So a passenger in a vehicle couldn't type into the app while the vehicle is moving?

So if you are moving and tried to search for a destination, it locks you out unless you claim you are the passenger and not the driver.

Same with communicating to other Wazers or describing the hazard you mark.

Yes, as the driver you can just click that you are the passenger and bypass that safeguard, so it's not full proof by any means. But, since not everyone is as smart as me, hopefully some people see that, say oh, I can't type anything, and just leave it at that. I know, wishful thinking.

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch
i_am_the_koi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:05 PM   #42
radvas
Veteran

Motorcycles: not nearly enough
Name: Richard
Two thoughts...

1) If safe roadways were a primary motivation, police could file random false "police location" reports on Waze. Then Wazers would think there's a cop is in the area and slow down.

2) It's already technically possible to create a networked civilian camera system that identifies police vehicles (likely unmarked ones too), and track them in quasi-real time, with much better accuracy than the fairly weak historical location identifier data that Waze provides. Good idea, or are you comfortable with nobody watching the watchmen?
radvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #43
Kornholio

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Wazers can tell the app the cop isn't there anymore. It takes seconds to remove.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:44 PM   #44
radvas
Veteran

Motorcycles: not nearly enough
Name: Richard
Quote:
Wazers can tell the app the cop isn't there anymore. It takes seconds to remove.
Yeah. I know how it works. I'm merely suggesting that reporting police presence would slow some people down. Disagree? (Waze could easily test the idea).
radvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #45
OldBlade
Cupid Stunt

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: '93 CBR900RR
Name: James
Ubers tell Wazers about Lyfters who report it to the Hypsters who then report it to the copsters. The copsters then take off in their dronesters and report it to the dragsters who then don't give a flying f$ck.

Hold on, think I lost my drift....it was around here somewhere

rumble, rumble
OldBlade is offline   Reply With Quote