BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Rider’s Rights. Presented by Cycle Gear > Streetriders Rights

Old 07-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
bcv_west
Veteran

Help I'm a bug

Motorcycles: 2 wheels + motor
Name: Tim
Personally, 'riders rights' doesn't have much to do with mandated safety gear or noise ordinances, or graduated licenses. Those all seem like legitimate, reasonable restraints; I'd actually like to see more 'good citizen' regulation and enforcement.

What I am for is protecting access, promoting safety, and preventing tyranny of the majority. Share the road type stuff: better driver education to emphasize riders' right to be there, and promote a duty of care toward motorcyclists and cyclist. Something like water navigation rules: the smaller boat has right of way, since they have the most to lose. And yes, preserving and encouraging lane splitting/sharing. Maybe not in its current wild west form, but as a recognized, regulated practice across the country. The flip side of that coin, better training and graduated licensing for motorcycles. It's absolutely ridiculous that any idiot can walk in, buy a 180HP rocket sled, and immediately go play in traffic.
bcv_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #17
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Nice post.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #18
ludovico
Commuting Rider

Motorcycles: sportbike
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv_west View Post
Personally, 'riders rights' doesn't have much to do with mandated safety gear or noise ordinances, or graduated licenses. Those all seem like legitimate, reasonable restraints; I'd actually like to see more 'good citizen' regulation and enforcement.

What I am for is protecting access, promoting safety, and preventing tyranny of the majority. Share the road type stuff: better driver education to emphasize riders' right to be there, and promote a duty of care toward motorcyclists and cyclist. Something like water navigation rules: the smaller boat has right of way, since they have the most to lose. And yes, preserving and encouraging lane splitting/sharing. Maybe not in its current wild west form, but as a recognized, regulated practice across the country. The flip side of that coin, better training and graduated licensing for motorcycles. It's absolutely ridiculous that any idiot can walk in, buy a 180HP rocket sled, and immediately go play in traffic.
Exactly. That's what a "Live and let live" society in general would be all about. Is it just me or are we moving away from that ideal instead of moving closer to it?
Is the "me, Me, MEEE!!!" increasing big time instead?
ludovico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #19
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
To me, rider's rights are everyone's rights. It is easy to looks at rights and such things from one perspective, car drivers are the enemy, sleds, slugs, and slow mobikes are the big danger, stuff like that.

To help make my point, consider lights. More lights and the brighter the better is often the way motorcyclists approach the topic. So many collisions are the result if the car driver claiming they didn't see the motorcycle it should be obvious that megawatt headlamps and christmas tree back ends should help with being seen. Flashing lights, modulated or pulsing headlamps, driving lamps that rival laser beams and all that have to catch attention. Its our right to do whatever we need to so that ignorant and blissfully oblivious car drivers see us.

How often do we stop to think what car drivers really see and how they react to what we do? It is so easy to think we know what car drivers think because many of us also drive cars. Wrong. A lot of people never ride a motorcycle and there is no way a rider can begin to imagine what a non-rider thinks when it comes to motorcycles, there is no common reference, you ride, they do not and no matter what, you will always have the perception of a rider.

I see rider's rights as a cooperation with those that do not ride, not something we impose upon them because we know better and we know what they see and how they see it.

Back to the lights. Those super bright lights on a bike are to enable others to see us yet when put on a car, they become a nusance or even dangerous because they can blind other drivers. Ask non-riders what they see and you might be surprised to hear statements like "why do they need to blind everyone else?" or "I just ignore them and look away, the light hurts my eyes"

How does either of those perceptions help riders? If anything, the reaction is the opposite of what we need. That is just an example.

As riders, I think we have unique needs and considerations to stay safe but it shouldn't be adversarial.

We got the law that allows us to lane split. We did before but now its not a gray area. When that car driver doesn't move over because we need to part the sea and rush through because our time is more valuable than anyone else's so giving the glaring look, the up yours salute or the knock on the window or twist or push of a mirror, that right we have to split lanes just because an in your face arrogance the driver doesn't soon forget. Who suffers for it? The next rider.

I see my rider's rights as much a reminder to me that no one wants to have a collision anymore than I do. I can exercise and protect my rights without making drivers resent them.

Rider's rights help protect me and help me enjoy riding only as long as others appreciate why I have them, acknowledge the need for them and understand that they aren't there to make their lives more difficult but to make sure everyone gets to where they want to be safely.

Last edited by Schnellbandit; 01-06-2017 at 05:39 PM..
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #20
Strategist102

Motorcycles: 2003 Suzuki SV650
Name:
The helmet vs no helmet issue is one that has a lot of good points on both sides. On one hand the freedom of having your hair blow in the wind is nice and all but with all that wind noise how much enjoyment can you possibly feel?

Personally I'm a fan of wearing helmets. I'd rather be able to debate about fashion than be dead or seriously injured.
Strategist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #21
horsepower
WaterRider/Landsurfer

Flying Horse Contributor
BARFie winner 2014
Contributor !!!!+++++++++++++!!!!!!!!!!!!!+1%

Motorcycles: 2007Honda CBR 600rr 2014 Grom
Name: Daniela
I thought I was a speed reader but 7 years later and I am still reading Ludivicos first post.
horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #22
matt7481

Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi V7
Name:
Going to sound like a moralistic a-hole, but what the hell.....

I would flip the question and ask what are riders responsibilities.

We probably all have family and people who rely on us, so how about our responsibility to them to be as safe as possible riding ie wearing gear (including helmets), not speeding.

Or how about our responsibility to other road users, like carrying insurance, having a bike that's mechanically sound, not making dangerous maneuvers etc...

Maybe even our responsibility to other riders to not ride like a jerk thereby giving us all a bad name?

This doesn't just apply to bikers for sure, but to channel Jordan Peterson lets set our own house in order before we "fix" the world.
matt7481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:50 PM   #23
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7481 View Post
Going to sound like a moralistic a-hole, but what the hell.....

I would flip the question and ask what are riders responsibilities.

We probably all have family and people who rely on us, so how about our responsibility to them to be as safe as possible riding ie wearing gear (including helmets), not speeding.

Or how about our responsibility to other road users, like carrying insurance, having a bike that's mechanically sound, not making dangerous maneuvers etc...

Maybe even our responsibility to other riders to not ride like a jerk thereby giving us all a bad name?

This doesn't just apply to bikers for sure, but to channel Jordan Peterson lets set our own house in order before we "fix" the world.
I see that as riders responsibilities vs. rights.

All good stuff, but a different take that what the OP asked to me.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote