Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 02-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
MishMashSD1290R
Parts Bike Builder

Motorcycles: 2018 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
Name: Miles
Need 18mm O2 bungs welded onto my headers..Where?

Hi Forum Friends.

Anyone recommend a good place to nicely weld on O2 bungs to my 2018 KTM 1290 Super Duke R headers? It comes with 12mm bungs already, and I need 18mm to work with my DynoJet Autotune AT300 dual channel. I have the 18mm bungs.

Need someone to grind off/out the 12mm ones and nicely weld these new ones into place?

Not interested in running adapters and these are the OEM headers.

Im in San Mateo, but will drive a little distance if its THE place/Guy/Girl to do it.

Found this - http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=520732 but looking to see if there are some ON the Peninsula

TIA!

Last edited by MishMashSD1290R; 02-18-2019 at 04:33 PM..
MishMashSD1290R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishMashSD1290R View Post
Hi Forum Friends.

Anyone recommend a good place to nicely weld on O2 bungs to my 2018 KTM 1290 Super Duke R headers? It comes with 12mm bungs already, and I need 18mm to work with my DynoJet Autotune AT300 dual channel. I have the 18mm bungs.

Need someone to grind off/out the 12mm ones and nicely weld these new ones into place?

Not interested in running adapters and these are the OEM headers.

Im in San Mateo, but will drive a little distance if its THE place/Guy/Girl to do it.

Found this - http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=520732 but looking to see if there are some ON the Peninsula

TIA!
The last time I did this on a motorcycle header, I paid a premium and had Svendsens Marine shop do it for me as I wanted the welds to be pretty (it was in a very visible spot.) I was very familiar with the great work on stainless steel etc they do on boats. Boat guys are anal and they are used to meeting those expectations.

Exhaust Works in Belmont has done a lot of work for Land Rover guys, including me. I'd certainly trust them with my motorcycle headers and they are close to you. I'd suggest stopping by vs calling, they are usually crazy busy.

Sorry, I dont have more recent or moto specific advise.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
kuksul08
Suh Dude

Motorcycles: Whee!
Name:
Definitely TIG it. Also you might consider the bung placement that doesn't require removing the 12mm bungs. It would be a lot less hassle and can look clean, and reversible to stock.

Also keep in mind the positioning. I have seen factory narrowbands positioned upside down which allows condensation to settle on a sensor.

As for welders, I had mine done at Arc Tec precision welding in Santa Cruz. Probably not possible for you considering the distance and weird hours of the welder but the guy is totally nice and very fair on his pricing. He did this one for me:

Regardless of who does it, if you can prep it beforehand by cleaning it thoroughly, drilling the hole, and mitering the new bungs, it will make the welder's life easier.

Last edited by kuksul08; 02-18-2019 at 06:53 PM..
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
Lucytriple
Wrrrench

Contributor

Motorcycles: SV1000 Superhawk Braap
Name: Lucy
I believe Dennis at Norman Racing in Emeryville will do that for you. I guess you're going in the same hole, but they should really be installed like 20 inches away from the headers but before cross-overs or any joints that may suck fresh air in and therefore skew your readings.

Looks like this article says 24 inches. http://blog.innovatemotorsports.com/...our-o2-sensor/

And this article has good information: https://www.wbo2.com/lsu/LsuInstal.pdf

Last edited by Lucytriple; 02-18-2019 at 09:36 PM..
Lucytriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Curt Winter BTR Moto in Hayward is also an option.

Mad
Old 02-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
MishMashSD1290R
Parts Bike Builder

Thank you all for these great replies! Very appreciated and will start reaching out
Old 02-23-2019, 07:13 AM   #7
zammer
Tripler

AMA #3004877
1% Contributor

Motorcycles: '09 Triumph Street Triple R, '07 GSXR-750 (Track)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucytriple View Post
I believe Dennis at Norman Racing in Emeryville will do that for you. I guess you're going in the same hole, but they should really be installed like 20 inches away from the headers but before cross-overs or any joints that may suck fresh air in and therefore skew your readings.
I second Lucy here, small correction though - he's just off Gilman on the Albany/Berkeley border, not Emeryville.

I've recommended Dennis about 100 times on here, he's done some great work for me and is almost too reasonably priced.
zammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #8
MishMashSD1290R
Parts Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zammer View Post
I second Lucy here, small correction though - he's just off Gilman on the Albany/Berkeley border, not Emeryville.

I've recommended Dennis about 100 times on here, he's done some great work for me and is almost too reasonably priced.
Awesome thanks!