Notices

Old 06-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #46
Hoppalong
Veteran

Motorcycles: hare and hound, enduro, adventure
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
Now you're making statements about my character?
Yes, you're an ungrateful house guest. There, I've said it!

Quote:
What I'm really saying is those people who are driving, don't see you until you're at their rear bumper, then swerve into the shoulder quickly to "make room." IMO that's not "acknowledging my presence and extending courtesy to me," it's erratic and unpredictable
Potato, tomato.
Hoppalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #47
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attack™-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
Want to move a little? Cool. But please don't leave the roadway to make room for me.

I've been splitting lanes since the early eighties, and rode through the motorcycling boom of the nineties when there were more motos on the road. I didn't need it then, and don't need or want it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #48
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
Want to move a little? Cool. But please don't leave the roadway to make room for me.

I've been splitting lanes since the early eighties, and rode through the motorcycling boom of the nineties when there were more motos on the road. I didn't need it then, and don't need or want it now.
I agree with this completely but I’ll take the swerve out of the way over the old school 90’s swerving to block me any day!
Old 06-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #49
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Motorcycles: '09 600RR
Name: Axel Foley
I'm in the boat that I wish cars would keep doing what they're doing. There's enough room for me to fit.

If they swerve over real quick, it's a red flag to me. Maybe they're not moving for me, maybe they got spooked by something and they might swerve right back too far the other way. Just drive normal and I'll get through. If there's not enough room, I'll wait til there is.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #50
Numbers McGee

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
I'm in the boat that I wish cars would keep doing what they're doing. There's enough room for me to fit.

If they swerve over real quick, it's a red flag to me. Maybe they're not moving for me, maybe they got spooked by something and they might swerve right back too far the other way. Just drive normal and I'll get through. If there's not enough room, I'll wait til there is.
Get outta here with your logic.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #51
mjj
Cookie

Motorcycles: '96 R1100RT
Name:
Quote:
Get outta here with your logic.
You can come over here with your logic. I want drivers around me to act calmly and predictably. I can totally see some reactionary swerving because they’ve spotted me.... right into the guy splitting the other side. “Immediately hug the far edge of the lane if you see a motorcycle approaching from the rear” said no statute or drivers handbook ever. I like being acknowledged... with a howdy finger
mjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #52
Numbers McGee

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjj View Post
You can come over here with your logic. I want drivers around me to act calmly and predictably. I can totally see some reactionary swerving because they’ve spotted me.... right into the guy splitting the other side. “Immediately hug the far edge of the lane if you see a motorcycle approaching from the rear” said no statute or drivers handbook ever. I like being acknowledged... with a howdy finger
Perhaps you missed the sarcasm in my post. If you scroll up a ways, you'll see that I stated pretty much the exact same thing that I quoted... hence my sarcasm.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #53
mjj
Cookie

Motorcycles: '96 R1100RT
Name:
Quote:
Perhaps you missed the sarcasm in my post. If you scroll up a ways, you'll see that I stated pretty much the exact same thing that I quoted... hence my sarcasm.
Totally did miss it! Also am just noticing this is/was an R.I.P. thread... sorry... there’s probably a better place to have this discussion.
mjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #54
LittleBigGirl
Veteran

AMA #3322079

Motorcycles: 2017 SV650
Name: TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post

In my unpublished, 3500-word Lane Splitting Guide (yeah, it's a bit tedious ), I emphasize:
@DataDan, Could you point me in the direction of the lane-splitting guide?
LittleBigGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #55
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigGirl View Post
@DataDan, Could you point me in the direction of the lane-splitting guide?
PM incoming.

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #56
Joker B
Probable Suspect

Motorcycles: BMW
Name:
Great thread, I'd like to add some bits earned from experience:

1. Know your bike. Every bike has a different width and low-speed character. I promise myself five months to get truly in-sync with a new bike before splitting. You might find a new bike has potentialy tight-squeeze contact points you didn't expect (esp with luggage).

2. In the neighborhood, some roads are just no good for splitting, or some blocks of specific roads. Older towns are inconsistent.

3. Road rage from cagers is a reality. Many years ago I had a pickup driver on I-405 in LA deliberately swerve-over and try to door me as I passed at a low delta, maybe only 3-5mph, but at 25mph overall rather than 65. He was in a mood to violently take out his traffic jam frustration on random people. In the wrong, but his intent's not important to my medical bill if I hadn't been able to dodge! After that I stopped splitting on the interstate, because those unpredictable idiots are real. Splitting at intersections is a safety move, splitting on the highway is just impatience. Meditate, follow the way, ctfo.

Last edited by Joker B; 07-20-2019 at 08:54 AM..
Joker B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #57
fumblerooskie

Motorcycles: 2019 Vulcan 900
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker B View Post
Great thread, I'd like to add some bits earned from experience:

1. Know your bike. Every bike has a different width and low-speed character. I promise myself five months to get truly in-sync with a new bike before splitting. You might find a new bike has potentialy tight-squeeze contact points you didn't expect (esp with luggage).

2. In the neighborhood, some roads are just no good for splitting, or some blocks of specific roads. Older towns are inconsistent.

3. Road rage from cagers is a reality. Many years ago I had a pickup driver on I-405 in LA deliberately swerve-over and try to door me as I passed at a low delta, maybe only 3-5mph, but at 25mph overall rather than 65. He was in a mood to violently take out his traffic jam frustration on random people. In the wrong, but his intent's not important to my medical bill if I hadn't been able to dodge! After that I stopped splitting on the interstate, because those unpredictable idiots are real. Splitting at intersections is a safety move, splitting on the highway is just impatience. Meditate, follow the way, ctfo.
This. I sometimes split at intersections, but rarely anywhere else. Then again, I'm not a highway commuter who rides the same stretch of road day and day out. I also have a fairly wide bagger and I'm afraid I might clip something if it's fairly tight or a driver weaves toward the line just as I'm getting close to passing.

Not long ago I had a situation on 580 northbound near Emeryville where there are right hand merges with 123. Normally, cars slow down as they try to merge right while at the exact same time cars are trying to merge left. It's a poorly designed mess. Anyway, instead of slowing and carefully merging right while continuing forward, the jackass in front of me actually came to a fairly sudden stop, in the middle of the freeway, forcing me to take evasive action. There was a sedan to my left, so I had to ride the line to swerve and get around him, which kind freaked out the driver of the sedan, understandably. I came very close to clipping the jackass's bumper =:-O
I really hate that merge. It confuses the hell out people.
fumblerooskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #58
thepretender
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 S1000R 2014 VFR800
Name: Doug
I agree with those who say the delta was too big for comfort I would have tucked in and went 65mph. I probably would have been atgatt and likely the HD rider wasn't but I doubt the gear would have helped. Instead of saying "ride safe" a instructor once said "ride smart"
was now his motto. Seemed good to me so "ride smart" you guys.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #59
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Because this happened 3 years ago, US DOT crash data is now available.

Speed differential was bad enough, but the deceased rider had a BAC of 0.19, a suspended license, and 2 previous suspensions.

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote