Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 11:36 PM   #1
sicks
Yo yo yo

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: Vroom vroooooom
Name: Sergio
Autoblip for Trackdays

Decided to finally pull the trigger on a a "new" bike that is trackable - 2019 Monster 821. It comes with an autoblip from factory. It does seem like it will take me to get used to - it does not act favorably when I blip and its on.

For trackdays, are you folks just using the electronics or turning off? Wondering if I should spend time getting used to having it on or jus do myself since its sort of natural. I am ignorant to any variance between the mechanisms that controls this/different types.
sicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
it really depends on the implementation. a good autoblip (especially when used with good engine braking strategies) will make corner entry easier, which should allow you to go faster. a bad one may hinder your corner entry so much that you go slower. Id guess chances are slim that you'll find many people that have tracked your bike, and at the level to notice how "good" the autoblip is. so you may just have to find out yourself.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
squidworth
Veteran

Motorcycles: So many
Name:
I love the autoblip on my GSX-R1000R. I can most definitely downshift smoother than the autoblip system, but it works well enough I use it almost always and it allows me to give more attention to everything else.

Even a good run on the street in your favorite set of twisties with it on and off will give you a better idea how you want to proceed at the track.

squidworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #4
sicks
Yo yo yo

Contributor + +

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
it really depends on the implementation. a good autoblip (especially when used with good engine braking strategies) will make corner entry easier, which should allow you to go faster. a bad one may hinder your corner entry so much that you go slower. Id guess chances are slim that you'll find many people that have tracked your bike, and at the level to notice how "good" the autoblip is. so you may just have to find out yourself.
I think its the same system for all the Ducs - and "unlearning" a couple decades worth of blip is not going to be easy for someone as dumb as i haha. figure ill have to learn - jus lookin for some input; good bad or otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidworth View Post
I love the autoblip on my GSX-R1000R. I can most definitely downshift smoother than the autoblip system, but it works well enough I use it almost always and it allows me to give more attention to everything else.

Even a good run on the street in your favorite set of twisties with it on and off will give you a better idea how you want to proceed at the track.

Yea ive only done a couple short runs so far due to time, definitely seems like there is a sweet spot for it and a lot of acclimation required if going more than 1? feels like having to unlearn a technique thats stuck in my brain is going to be difficult
Old 05-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicks View Post
I think its the same system for all the Ducs - and "unlearning" a couple decades worth of blip is not going to be easy for someone as dumb as i haha. figure ill have to learn - jus lookin for some input; good bad or otherwise
"all the Ducs" is really broad. they dont all have the exact same ECU hardware, so its unlikely the software is exactly the same. but im prob wrong and it doesnt matter way.

I used to say the same thing about myself with "new" techniques. "oh, I cant use the rear brake because ive ridden on track for 10yrs without it". I FINALLY got over my fear and tried it - ya, it worked right away. sure I wasn't pro at it, but I saw benefits right away. the same thing was true for manual blipping and some hanging-off techniques. I know this is just an anecdote and you are a diff person. my point is that you shouldnt let a "fear" of trying something you arent used prevent you actually doing it. you may surprised yourself with how fast you can learn.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
sicks
Yo yo yo

Contributor + +

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
"all the Ducs" is really broad. they dont all have the exact same ECU hardware, so its unlikely the software is exactly the same. but im prob wrong and it doesnt matter way.

I used to say the same thing about myself with "new" techniques. "oh, I cant use the rear brake because ive ridden on track for 10yrs without it". I FINALLY got over my fear and tried it - ya, it worked right away. sure I wasn't pro at it, but I saw benefits right away. the same thing was true for manual blipping and some hanging-off techniques. I know this is just an anecdote and you are a diff person. my point is that you shouldnt let a "fear" of trying something you arent used prevent you actually doing it. you may surprised yourself with how fast you can learn.
wasnt literally trying to blanket all ducs together - jus responding to your initial comment on no one having my exact bike. Pretty sure that the traction control is similar across a number of different models and years - with the range being pretty popular, was thinking some would have some feedback.

completely understand that learning it jus takes time to unlearn the other something.. i might do one or two trackdays a year if that and dont ride very aggresive on street/canyon so my more aggressive downshift practice to unlearn is limited and something I would have to more aggressively pursue, i do think others experiences is good to hear - just conversation is all
Old 05-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
I can't get used to Autoblip neither. It should be seamless. If it's not, it's too slow to be any good or isn't setup correctly.

Still, I'm with you Sergio. Take that shit off!!!
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
sicks
Yo yo yo

Contributor + +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
I can't get used to Autoblip neither. It should be seamless. If it's not, it's too slow to be any good or isn't setup correctly.

Still, I'm with you Sergio. Take that shit off!!!
!!! Soo angeryy - i still have to learn to turn it off. that may take a few months
Old 05-31-2020, 10:43 PM   #9
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicks View Post
It comes with an autoblip from factory. It does seem like it will take me to get used to - it does not act favorably when I blip and its on.
How does it act when you keep the throttle closed?

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:56 AM   #10
NorCal Factory
Veteran

Contributor ++++ 2%

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuano, Aprilia RSV4, KTM 300 XCW
Name: Tom
Check out a Ducati forum on how to change it. The Aprilia has less engine braking and less aggressive throttle response in race mode Vs Track then Sport in the order.

Smoother is faster.

Try different modes at the higher RPMs you would see on the track.
NorCal Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #11
cellige

Motorcycles: Street triple
Name:
Half the fun of riding is controlling the bike, I love trying to get blips perfect.. I'd turn it off for more fun!
cellige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #12
ThinkFast
Live Long

Motorcycles: n. (pl), a two-wheeled device used for transportation as well as racing and other fun stuff.
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellige View Post
Half the fun of riding is controlling the bike, I love trying to get blips perfect.. I'd turn it off for more fun!
+1.

Unless your purpose for doing a trackday is to find time in your lap times for when you’re racing, I’d turn it off and learn how to do it without any help. Riding is a skill. Part of the skill is learning how to shift smoothly.

It’s similar debate with the car guys - do you want the paddle shifters or three pedals. The paddle guys claim they turn faster lap times, while the old skoolers are in favor of “less is more”, and enjoying the sense of accomplishment when they get it all right for a full lap.
ex-AFM #280

Last edited by ThinkFast; Yesterday at 01:05 PM..
ThinkFast is offline   Reply With Quote