Notices

Old 01-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #46
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpower View Post
I'm right handed and have always found R-turns uncomfortable. The theory I came up with is that subconsciously I'm guarding my dominate side. Some of the already stated makes sense to some and perhaps I'm full of it (ok, I'm full of it mostly). However, no one else mentioned this so I'm tossing it out there as I'm the same way on the track.
That's probably part of it however, in an informal review I have asked numerous of my students that have problems with left or right which dominant hand they are and haven't gotten anything close to a consensus sometimes left-handed people have more difficulty with right-hand turns and some times right-handed people have more difficulty with left-hand turns...

I think the most important thing to realize is that if you were weaker on one direction or the other you need to work on your technique in that direction more so that you are no longer weaker.

I've also found that students that have difficulty with right-hand turns are often riding too stiffly and when your arms are too stiff and you turn right you tend to roll on throttle if your arms and shoulders are relaxed and you turn right you tend not to do that therefore if you are riding stiffly you turn right the bike accelerates More than you probably intended and therefore it makes you more nervous in a right-hand corner. And more nervousness leads to more stiffness which leads to more acceleration You can see how this is a negative feedback loop.

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:04 AM   #47
fiteg

Motorcycles: 2020 KTM Super Duke GT 2016 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
Name:
I ride tight lines whenever possible. For me it is the safest. This means sticking to the fog line at all times in the canyons. This may be counterintuitive, but it lessens the risk of oncoming traffic, and I have room to the outside if I encounter obstacles on my line. Also forces cornering discipline and maintaining revs, which keeps the bike happy.

Just my 2 cents, lots of times I've been glad I did.
fiteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #48
ThinkFast
Live Long

Motorcycles: n. (pl), a two-wheeled device used for transportation as well as racing and other fun stuff.
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin829 View Post
For the life of me I can never get comfortable with right hand turns in the mountains. Couple reasons. Most right hand turns are blind. If there is gravel in the road most likely that side. If you happen to low side then you slide into on coming traffic. Iíve been a motorcyclist for 10+ years and still canít feel comfortable. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Hey OP - how are you doing with your right handers? Been practicing? Anything working?
ex-AFM #280
ThinkFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:50 AM   #49
DesiDucati
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ducati one day
Name: cant fit
So what I’ve gathered here is that right turns are more dangerous on the hills due to blind spots and left turns are more dangerous on the streets because other cars turning don’t see you and the motorcycle hits their door?
DesiDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #50
NoTraffic
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2nd Gen FZ1 / Oil Cooled 1200RT / '17 MT-09
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiDucati View Post
So what Iíve gathered here is that right turns are more dangerous on the hills due to blind spots and left turns are more dangerous on the streets because other cars turning donít see you and the motorcycle hits their door?
One can argue that there are both blind spots at left and right turns. It's just a matter of how well you can get on your brakes and or have other sight lines to steer the bike. You can have a blind left going 65mph or a blind right going 35mph, it's all situational.

Cars turning left into oncoming traffic has always been one of the highest causes of non-fault motorcycle accidents because the driver either did not see them or could not estimate the speed of travel (usually faster).
NoTraffic is offline   Reply With Quote