Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Notices

Old 08-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #16
East Bay Mike
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Homeless
Name: Chewbaccca
Thanks everyone, found this issue on a Triumph forum. Looks like Triumph might have a computer update next month....

"Regarding the stalling you have experience, the factory are in the process of releasing a new ecm calibration tune that should improve the running of your bike and reduce the likelihood of future stalling. As soon as the updated tune has been released, Newcastle Triumph will be able to install this into your bike for you under warranty. The anticipate availability of this new tune is early September."

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/2...issues.971512/
East Bay Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #17
ejv
Untitled work in progress

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono
Name:
That's for a Street Triple and you have a Speed Triple right, or did I miss something?
ejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:32 PM   #18
Slow Goat
Fun Junkie

Motorcycles: Make me feel better about life...
Name: Bob
Have a low-mileage ‘14 Street Triple and thankfully haven’t experienced your problem. But it’s a 675 motor and less electronics than the ‘17 and ups.
I read a bit of the TriumphRat forum and a search shows that a LOT of models have had this problem.

Saw several diagnoses but two free fixes were found by doing the 20 minute adaption reset or by not letting the gas level get below half. Correlation or causation, I don’t know.

But for your NEW Speedy? I’d be down at the dealer every time it did this. Get your lemon-law info and don’t take NO for an answer.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
Slow Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:42 AM   #19
sprorchid
Veteran

AMA #: 2819725
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '09 zx-6r, '11 cbr 1000rr (dead), '13 speed triple, S1kRR, RSV4 RC8R
Name: Jacqueline
Lemon. Run, do not look back.

( I have a ‘13 speed triple, no idle issues, hot or cold. It has never died on me).
Old 08-23-2020, 06:28 AM   #20
UDRider
FLCL?

Contributor

Motorcycles: The lulz machine.
Name:
On my Daytona I was experiencing something similar. On deceleration for a stop it would stall on occasion. Turned out to be a bad alternator.

FFRF fighting for our rights not to live under religious government, and Christian nationalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
no. nothing against strippers. just have never completely trusted anyone in sales and marketing.
UDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:22 AM   #21
CrumpetRocket
Veteran

Motorcycles: 07 Daytona
Name: Jared
My dad has an RSV that does this. Has had it looked at and it's never been fixed. Different brand and bike, but it seems to be a difficult problem to fix.
CrumpetRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #22
East Bay Mike
Veteran

Contributor

Thanks everyone, gonna call Triumph on Tuesday and see what they say.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #23
ejv
Untitled work in progress

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrumpetRocket View Post
My dad has an RSV that does this. Has had it looked at and it's never been fixed. Different brand and bike, but it seems to be a difficult problem to fix.
The first Tuono 1100s did the stall as approaching idle and hot start restart stumble. Not nearly as often as OP is mentioning but Aprilia developed a new map within 2-3 months of the NA introduction. I bought mine about a month after the new map came out so I assumed the dealer had updated the ECU before I bought it. It didn't do the idle stall but definitely did the hot restart stumble. So I brought it back in to get the update. They updated it and it has been fine since. I put them on the spot why they hadn't updated it before I took possession and they pretended it wasn't available yet when I picked it up but I knew differently since it was all over AF1 at the time. I've not spent a single penny at that dealer since.
ejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #24
East Bay Mike
Veteran

Contributor

Got my Speed Triple back from the dealer, they had it for a couple weeks. Switched some relays around or something like that, test rode it a bunch and said it was good.

On the ride home across town, it stalled 3 times.

This was at least the 3rd repair attempt, maybe 4th. Unfortunately I didn’t keep up with documentation and I didn’t get a hard copy of the work orders........ But they said it’s in their system. I hope they’re being honest about that.

The dealer has been very nice to me, and I’ve been nice to them. When I picked it up today they said to please call back regardless of what happens. Well, we still have issues.

How would you proceed from here? What would you expect to happen next

Thanks....
Old 09-26-2020, 09:04 PM   #25
Lucytriple
Wrrrench

Contributor +

Motorcycles: SV1000 Braap
Name: Lucy
I have seen several bikes with this complaint. Some were fixed with a hard reset, you know: run it without touching the throttle until the fan comes on and then some. That solves half of the bikes.

Cleaning the TPS connector may help, cleaning the throttle bodies (gently! like no scrubbing with anything, just a clean wipe of the gummed gas that keeps the butterflies from actuating properly), battery issues and charging system issues are worth looking into.

I tuned a few out with TuneECU, by changing the map around idle. One bike needed a new set of throttle bodies. One wasn't registering the TPS consistently and I never could fix it.

It feels like a shit fix, but you could manually raise the idle just an eensy bit at the throttle stop.

Last edited by Lucytriple; 09-26-2020 at 09:05 PM..
Lucytriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #26
East Bay Mike
Veteran

Contributor

Thanks Lucy! Lots of good ideas, makes sense. I need to think about all this....

I do not want a bike out of warranty that has engine stalling, so some kind of solution needs to be figured out.

Any more ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:31 PM   #27
East Bay Mike
Veteran

Contributor

Yea, they said they let the bike “warm up for 20 minutes”. I had no clue how to respond to that. No one warms a bike up for 20 minutes, it needs to be tested in real works conditions. Maybe that was a hard reset method?
Old 09-26-2020, 09:50 PM   #28
kuksul08
Suh Dude

Motorcycles: Whee!
Name:
The only bike I've had that stalled all the time when coming to a stop was my Hypermotard. As soon as I removed the charcoal canister, it never again stalled - not even once.

When you fill the gas tank, do you fill it to the brim? If you do, it will overflow and fill up the canister. Then you get a rush of gas in the intake that can cause it to flame out at idle speeds. At least that was my theory.

Might be a quick and easy test to plug the lines from the canister to the throttle bodies and see if it keeps stalling.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #29
East Bay Mike
Veteran

Contributor

Interesting idea on the overfilling of the fuel tank, but no I don’t overfill any car because I’m aware of the dangers of overfilling.

Still worth a shot looking into the charcoal canister though, thanks.

Took the bike out this morning and stalled 3 times at separate stoplights over a half hour mixed freeway/city ride.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #30
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Mike View Post
Interesting idea on the overfilling of the fuel tank, but no I donít overfill any car because Iím aware of the dangers of overfilling.

Still worth a shot looking into the charcoal canister though, thanks.

Took the bike out this morning and stalled 3 times at separate stoplights over a half hour mixed freeway/city ride.
My R1200 GSA stalls about once per year, before I'm out of the apartment gate. This only happens when garage temperature and outside temperature are just right (not too hot, not too cold). It also frequently misfires on a downhill. Talked to BMW, they mentioned this is due to lean mixture which is mandated by CARB. The engine has 2 spark plugs per cylinder already to mitigate this know problem. Sound almost like a design fault in your case.

Or, like my friends used to joke: Why do the Brits drink warm beer? Because they have a Lucas fridge.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote