Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Notices

Old 09-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #1
infecto
Rookie

Motorcycles: Versys 1000 Ninja ZX-6r
Name:
Vortex Rearsets Bearing/Shims Help

Replacing some bits on a vortex rear set and I am stumped on which parts I need. Figured I would reach out here before calling up vortex.

Have a 07 ZX6r with what looks like maybe has either deprecated parts or a mix of vortex parts. I am replacing the foot peg on the shift side. The old peg was jammed into the shift lever. I did get it out but one of the bearings? is damaged, its stuck on the foot peg at this point and needs to be replaced. My trouble is I have no idea what part that is. In the vortex manuals they call it a shim and I cannot seem to find this shim part anywhere but some random site called 58 cycles that I have never used before. This shift lever itself is stamped with part number RS503B which I don't even know what it goes to. RS503 seems to be the part # for the complete set on a gsxr but the instructions for those do not list the shift lever as 503B.

1. Are these bearings or shims? When I think shim I think of a solid piece that goes in between something but I am not educated well enough on these matters.
2. Is there anyone to find a replacement bearing/shim for this shift arm RS503B.
3. Should I just buy the replacement lever that is supposed to be RS410BK? I was trying to not spend the $60-80 for a new shift lever when I don't think I need one. The lever itself was fine and moving freely. And if so does it come with the proper shims/bearings for the shift peg to sit in?

Thought it was just going to be a quick replacement for a $20 part but its much more complicated than I thought.

Last edited by infecto; 09-10-2020 at 09:53 AM..
infecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #2
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Pictures?

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:56 PM   #3
infecto
Rookie

Name:
So I went to take pictures and when I was holding the footpegs together I finally noticed they are in fact different sizes. Dug into it and the shift lever I have is outdated by decades. I just bit the bullet and got a newer shift lever which matches the backing plates for the existing rearset I have. Thanks and sorry. It was hard to dig some of the old part numbers out but you asking for pictures led me to the solution!
Old 09-10-2020, 08:18 PM   #4
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
The ppl at Vortex are amazingly helpful with all this stuff.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:21 AM   #5
infecto
Rookie

Name:
I probably should have gone that route straight away. Good to know, so many other companies are hard to get in touch with.