BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Notices

Old 09-06-2020, 05:47 AM   #31
Woody146
Back on 2!

Motorcycles: 2020 S1000RR M SPEC 2017 701 sm 2012 Yamaha FZ8(sold) 2015 BMW s1000R(R.I.P.) 2018 S1000r (R.I.P.)
Name:
Sooo.... about those road conditions
Woody146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #32
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: 2020 BMW S1000XR Lowride.
Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Approaching 40.
How the hell did that happen?
That was 30 years ago.

Get out and enjoy your youth.
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #33
Izzy_C
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2005 ZRX1200R
Name: Izzy
Just did 84 > Alices > 35 > Saratoga > up 9 > down 9 almost to Boulder Creek > back up 9 to 35

Road was fine (and very empty ) , only got smokey later in the day, I didn't make it to Boulder Creek, just past the newly repaved part, it got very smokey pretty quick around Redwood Grove... was obscenely hot today though. 236 is closed at the top entrance by the 9 intersection.

Last edited by Izzy_C; 09-06-2020 at 08:49 PM..
Izzy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #34
Wolf
Experienced, not Skilled

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2012 FZ8
Name: Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_C View Post
Just did 84 > Alices > 35 > Saratoga > up 9 > down 9 almost to Boulder Creek > back up 9 to 35

Road was fine (and very empty ) , only got smokey later in the day, I didn't make it to Boulder Creek, just past the newly repaved part, it got very smokey pretty quick around Redwood Grove... was obscenely hot today though. 236 is closed at the top entrance by the 9 intersection.
In all these years, I'd never continued on 35 beyond the Hot Dog Stand... did that on Saturday, to Bear Creek Rd and into Boulder Creek. Very nice ride.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #35
Izzy_C
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2005 ZRX1200R
Name: Izzy
I love that section of 9 minus the sneaky decreasing radius corner right at the top near 236. You can hit it at a decent speed just plan to end up near the double yellows on corner exit.

The elevation changes in that part of 9 are really a lot of fun.
Izzy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #36
Woody146
Back on 2!

Motorcycles: 2020 S1000RR M SPEC 2017 701 sm 2012 Yamaha FZ8(sold) 2015 BMW s1000R(R.I.P.) 2018 S1000r (R.I.P.)
Name:
9 to 35 to alices, 84 down to stage, gazos is closed, smokey as hell going that way, pescadero to alpine, then 9 to 236. 236 is closed with a chp sitting there, but 9 towards santa cruz was nice, turned around at the school and just hit the fresh paved twisty section.

only 2 roads closed on this route which is not bad..gazos and 236
Woody146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #37
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
Quote:
Now lets talk about your use of "the" before highway names.
It's allowed if you are not a Dodger fan, but it's a One-Time only pass. Once you know it's Verboten, all violations will be treated accordingly.
(As a 10,000th generation Californian, I get to make these pronouncements)

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #38
Sean D
Rookie

Motorcycles: S1000R, Vespa 946, Yamaha Bolt
Name: Sean
Had the day off and finally got up there this morning, as the air quality index was 'low'. Took an easy ride along 9-->35-->92 and it was damned near perfect, blue skies, sun-dappled roads, almost no other vehicles up there except some service trucks. Was also nice to see people eating & chilling at Alice's. Haven't been in any of the areas where there were fires, but on this route at least it's all good.
Sean D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:17 AM   #39
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean D View Post
Haha, from SoCal, busted. 😆
Hey, I have family that did (way back in the day) live in So. Cal., and family that still lives there. I grew up in the bay area, and always used "the" in front of a freeway name.

I never even realized there was a regional difference until maybe high school.

Quote:
Maybe the zeitgeist has changed... it used to be most of the comments on barf would contain a certain level of good-natured ribbing and shit talking. After all, the official logo is twofinger

I guess that was back before the internet became "serious business".
Yeah, pretty much this.

But there have also been lots of changes over the years, even since I've been here. And I'm not an OG. I'd say just be mindful is all. If it's not someone you know personally, or not someone you've interacted a decent amount on here to kinda get to "know" them, and especially if they're not really laughing along with the ribbing, maybe it's time to back down.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:29 PM   #40
JimE
Rider

AMA #: 3188342
Contributor + + + 5%

Motorcycles: '06 S2R1k, '11 R1200GS, '09 F800GS, 19 350 EXC-F
Name: Jim
I've been out and about in the fire areas making generators work for folks and other related repairs. They are still re-establishing power for people. There are a LOT of PGE trucks, tree trimmers, road crews and various activity going on. Many guard rails are collapsed because the wood posts burned off. Or tees fell across them. Or bulldozers went through them. So be prepared for lots of trucks, one way traffic control, debris on the road, etc... I would also like to point out that this activity will continue after PGE is done because the low voltage guys will need to come in after them and the county will be scraping the burned properties of hazardous material. So it's going to be awhile.

Recommended areas to avoid? Empire Grade and all tributaries (Jameson Creek, Alba Road, Felton Empire). All of Bonny Doon (Bonny Doon Road, Pine Flat, Ice Cream Grade, Smith Grade, etc..). 236 and all of Big Basin Way, Big Basin. Swanton Road, Gazos Creek and surrounding.

Just give it some time. It's a massive amount of work.

So all that said we still have some great stuff to go ride and the air is getting better. All of 35, 9 from 236 all the way to Saratoga, Old Santa Cruz, San Jose/Soquel Road, all of south County like 152, Casserly, Pole Line, Browns Valley, etc.. Up north of me you have all of 84 to enjoy just not south of Pescadero Creek Road though that's a good one.

That's all I can think of from being up there working around it. I'm looking forward to the roads being clear again myself. One of my favorite rides is out my door, up Felton Empire, Empire Grade to Pine Flat then out Bonny Doon Road to 1. Maybe then down to SC and back up 9. Currently the guard rails up Felton Empire are burned up and sagging wouldn't want to come zinging around a corner and make an fast stop because of a crew. So I'm going to hold off on the two wheeled fun in that area until it's in better shape.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote