Notices

Old 09-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #16
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 2020 300 XC-W
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
I forgot about the Beta Xtrainer, fantastic suggestion. Does KTM still make their free ride? Similar and also good suggestion.
Yes, I was gonna mention the freeride but I believe it's only available as an E bike now and the 350 and 2 stroke (forgot what cc) are not available anymore. They're super rare though and the fuel tanks are small. They're more trials than trail though apparently. I'd still rock one on the trails. The Xtrainer is more trail than trials.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 2020 300 XC-W
Name:
Should also consider the KTM 500, buddy just bought one and loves it. Fairly light too.

Another option worth looking into is converting any 2000+ YZ250. I hear they're pretty amazing once you do all the mods to tone it down.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #18
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KooLaid View Post
Yes, I was gonna mention the freeride but I believe it's only available as an E bike now and the 350 and 2 stroke (forgot what cc) are not available anymore. They're super rare though and the fuel tanks are small. They're more trials than trail though apparently. I'd still rock one on the trails. The Xtrainer is more trail than trials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KooLaid View Post
Should also consider the KTM 500, buddy just bought one and loves it. Fairly light too.

Another option worth looking into is converting any 2000+ YZ250. I hear they're pretty amazing once you do all the mods to tone it down.
While we all will be riding e bikes in our lifetime, they don't do it for me at the moment. Cool technology, but I wouldn't choose to ride for now.

I agree with the YZ250, mine is modded to all the YZ250X specs. While I can't speak for Scott, I assume he is looking at new or nearer to new bikes.

I just rode 2020 350 with the ECU done last weekend and a modded 450 right after. For me at my skill and conditioning level, the 250-350 4t or 250-300 2t are just perfect for single track. While light on paper, the 450 and 500 just have too much grunt, and wear me out in short order on single track. For me its the HP, and I can go faster for longer on smaller displacement bikes. It was the same impression I had of the Husqvarna 501 when I rode it. For a dualsport or the desert they would be perfect (or young guys on the track.)

When I went away from the big 450 to the two stroke, I really started enjoying the tight technical stuff again. That's just me, everyone is different of course.

Perfect world I'd have Husqvarna TE300, FE350S, and a FE501S. If I could have just two, the TE300 and FE501S. Just one, FE350S for the plate. If I ever got serious about racing off road, I'd be looking hard at that YZ250FX too. Or a friend getting back into riding single track, the WR250F. Or any of the Beta, KTM, Husky equivelants. Lots of great offroad specific bikes these days.

As a pure single track toy, can't believe there would be a better bike than the Beta Xtrainer if you wanted something to try real technical riding without the big intimidation factor short of a trials bike and still be able to ride the trails.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 09-21-2020 at 04:49 PM..
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #19
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Gonna try out a CRF230 tomorrow. A guy that I like to ride with has a whole garage full of bikes and wanted to do some more serious off road riding than I can handle with an adventure bike. I think we'll be riding around at this place (Overhead shot).

One step at a time...
Old 09-22-2020, 12:27 AM   #20
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Single Track Weapon/Cheater bike, I remember I put to shame these dudes riding KTMs and Husky dirtbike when I rode this up the Deer Valley OHV Jeep trail. I was rippin up the trail hopping tree roots and rock gardens and I see the guys that left half an hour earlier than me taking a break at the not too far from the start looking like they were exhausted riding their big dirt bikes. I just laughed as I whizzed on by. I was expecting to see them again later because I doubled back to the trail head but it looks like they bailed, couldn't handle it hah!

Yup double red diamond!

Looks technical to me

They call this the GATEKEEPER

Last edited by HadesOmega; 09-22-2020 at 12:39 AM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #21
KWeezyXB12
SKRRRRRRRRRRRT!!!!!!

Motorcycles: 2002 yz 250
Name: Kyle
cant believe this hasnt been said but the perfect bike for this is obviously a honda CR500. youre welcome. end thread
Old 09-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #22
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
Gonna try out a CRF230 tomorrow. A guy that I like to ride with has a whole garage full of bikes and wanted to do some more serious off road riding than I can handle with an adventure bike. I think we'll be riding around at this place (Overhead shot).

One step at a time...
Okay, I think I've figured out that I could live with a 250 four-stroke, but it would have to be a more serious bike than the CRF230. The place where we rode was mostly sand, rocks, and whoops. My legs and arms both got a good workout after only a couple of hours of riding that stuff. The CRF230 steered way better in the sand than either of my heavy bikes would have. But it didn't have enough suspension and I want more power too. But I don't think I need a 450.

I expect to go visit the Yamaha dealer to see what they have in a 250 off road bike.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #23
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Name: Daniel
Excellent! Glad you got out and rode something. I suspected the suspension on the 230 would be lacking for you.

Have fun narrowing it down!
Old 09-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #24
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

So I visited the local Yamaha Dealer - Snake River Yamaha. Should have just stuck with internet searches for what that was worth. No bikes in stock that I'm interested in and the guy at the front desk didn't really know much either. I always feel way better when I visit Carl's Cycle Sales, which sells everything BUT Yamaha. How important is the dealer?

A little research says the CRF230F weighs about 250 pounds and has about 9 inches of suspension travel. The WR250R is around 295 pounds wet with about 10.6. The WR250F is around 256 pounds wet, but with around 12 inches of suspension. I need those extra inches of suspension travel.

I'm going to do a lot of studying over the next few months, since I don't intend to buy a bike of this type until I have something to haul it with and that won't happen during this calendar year.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #25
KWeezyXB12
SKRRRRRRRRRRRT!!!!!!

Motorcycles: 2002 yz 250
Name: Kyle
man i would for sure try out a two stroke though. you can get one on fb market place under 3 grand and sell it just as easy here or back on marketplace if it doesnt work for you if you cant find a bike to borrow.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #26
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7 Racer & Griso & Quota, 450 EXC, Wee & Vee Strom
Name: David
For the cheaper side of things, ever consider a GPX moto?

https://gpxmoto.com/index.php?route=...ategory&path=5

They have air cooled and water cooled bikes ... made in China with a really great US importer.

So maybe this one:
https://gpxmoto.com/index.php?route=...&product_id=58
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #27
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Name: Daniel
I forgot to mention I rode a friends honda crf250x the other day. It was a hoot and felt really solid. Might be a great bike to try too. It would be completely different from the 230. Real showa suspension, aluminum frame, proper dirt bike.

Last edited by 1962siia; 09-23-2020 at 05:09 PM..
1962siia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #28
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

I'll definitely be considering the CRF250X. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:02 PM   #29
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Welcome to COvid sub economies..... some things like dirt bikes sales are at record highs, other industries dying or closed.

The CRF230F you rode is at 11hp, and the WR250F or CRF250X should have around 30hp, but taller and full suspension. Scratch the WR250R off your list. Its a 300lb dual sport. The WR250F is a bit more modern design than the CRF250X as it shares its engine architecture with the new YZ Fs and fuel injected where the CRF hasnt changed in over a decade. But honestly both are solid trail bikes.

Might be worth a search on cycle trader to see who has stock on the floor.

And welcome back to the real dirty world!

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 09-23-2020 at 09:29 PM..
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:58 AM   #30
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
And welcome back to the real dirty world!
I'm not really back until I actually buy one. I just need to convince my wife that I need a vehicle to haul dirt bikes with AND a new dirt bike to haul.