Old 12-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #46
squirrls
My dad is an engineer

Motorcycles: 06' CBR600RR & '06 ZX-6R
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by squirrls
/shrugs

Maybe they designed it differently than my dad had been taught or something. However, no offense to you, my dad is probably slightly more educated in this area. I'm not ruling out that my dad could be wrong. I'm not at all. I mean if they are going to make a bike and sell it worldwide... I'm sure they know something... however engineering is engineering and I seriously doubt that something would change that would allow a 3 cylinder engine to balance well. Maybe they have. Maybe not. If you could show me proof that'd be awesome. I'm just trying to seek the truth and since my dad knows infinitly more about engineering and mechanics than I do, I'll take his word until proof has been shown to me. Proof is not saying "grab a bike w/ 3 cylinders and see if it falls apart" I never said anything about the bike falling apart. I said heat problem and problems with wear and tear (meaning faster than normal wear/tear than say, a 4 cylinder engine)
re-read that... /shrugs doesn't sound like getting panties in a knot and my second post I remedy my idiot manuever in the first post and state that he could be wrong and that I want to know the truth and then nobody still decided to help me and people decided to just read my post instead of reading all of them and bash instead of seeing that I already noticed my mistake.

Quote:
Originally posted by squid vicious
Duuuude. You can't just GO from Better of Dead to Men At Work. You gotta eeaaassse into it.
Quote:
Originally posted by JackTheTripper
Here ya go!
squirrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:30 PM   #47
xgambit
Post Count +1

2006 Barfie
Contributor +

Motorcycles: XB9s XB12s 1125CR 450SMR WR250X
Name: Chess
Quote:
Originally posted by uhmeebuh
You're right - DELETED!
too late. everyone else is telling him now. oh well.
xgambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:30 PM   #48
squirrls
My dad is an engineer

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by Joebar4000
Yeah, but it's no fun if you make them cry on the first attempt (thinks back to making my gf's sister cry and I wasn't even warmed up).

Taking the piss out of you, at least you fight back. Well, as well as a Welsh sheep-shagger can manage
shall i just consider this thread officially hijacked?

Quote:
Duuuude. You can't just GO from Better of Dead to Men At Work. You gotta eeaaassse into it.
Quote:
Here ya go!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #49
Sprinklerhead
Ruining biker reputations

1%

Motorcycles: Bicycles, motorcycles are dumb.
Name:
You can't post a thread about fine English motorcycles without sheep shagging coming up sooner or later.

Joebar4k, you're french heritage is showing again.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:42 PM   #50
bobdmac
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1990 BMW K75S
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by squirrls
Don't bash things that you do not know. You obviously don't carry a BA in Engineering and don't have to draw up designs and all that crap on a day to day basis. Shut the fuck up before you talk shit about my dad who probably has way more knowledge than yourself. I didn't grab some schematic of the triples engine (which I think I have in a magazine) I just told him it was three cylinder and he told me what he know. Before you bash someones father, do research and show proof.
Don't you think Triumph's engineers might know more about mechanical engineering than your dad? It sounds to me like he might be the one talking out of turn.

http://www.wolfpackmc.org/
bobdmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:42 PM   #51
ericm
Two wheels good

Motorcycles: BMW 1200GS, Scorpa SY250, Montesa Cota 348
Name:
120 degree in line triples do indeed have a "rocking couple" vibration. This is why Laverda used a 180 degree crank on some of their triples. And its undoubtably why Triumph put a balancer shaft on their new 675- so the vibration wouldn't bother the rider (and so the chassis could be lighter).

But your Dad is incorrect in saying that this small imbalance will cause reliability problems. There have been many many successful inline triple engines.

Ask your Dad how the Honda GP V-5 is balanced. :-)
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #52
squirrls
My dad is an engineer

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by ericm
120 degree in line triples do indeed have a "rocking couple" vibration. This is why Laverda used a 180 degree crank on some of their triples. And its undoubtably why Triumph put a balancer shaft on their new 675- so the vibration wouldn't bother the rider (and so the chassis could be lighter).

But your Dad is incorrect in saying that this small imbalance will cause reliability problems. There have been many many successful inline triple engines.

Ask your Dad how the Honda GP V-5 is balanced. :-)
alright cool thank you.

and thank you to all of you who did supply me with ample information.

Quote:
Quote:
Here ya go!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:48 PM   #53
TerryNugwin
Combat Veteran too!

Motorcycles: 2012 Kawasaki Zx-10R aka Rilynn Rae
Name:
Thanks dad
Old 12-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #54
Joebar4000
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Anything I can get my hands on for now
Name: Ian
Quote:
Originally posted by SprinklerHead
You can't post a thread about fine English motorcycles without sheep shagging coming up sooner or later.

Joebar4k, you're french heritage is showing again.
Nah, the French side is the thieving-scum side. The Irish side is the violent drunk side.

The English part? Er...

Reminds me of a joke:

[bastardize]

A man walking along the road in Scotland, sees a dog viciously attacking an 8 year old girl. He runs over, pulls the dog off, snaps it's neck, saving the little girl.

A reporter happens to be walking past.

"Wow, that was amazing, I can see the headlines now, Scottish hero saves little girl," he says.

"But I'm not Scottish..." says the man.

"Oh, well, how about, Irish man of the hour steps up to save Scottish youngster?"

"But I'm not Irish..." says the man.

"Hmm, in that case, Welsh mining hero kills vicious brute?"

"But I'm now Welsh either..." says the man.

The reporter scratches his head for a moment, "I've got it then! English bastard kills family pet."

[/bastardize]

"Ride like a knob and you'll die" - Cat n Fiddle owner, UK.

"Motorcyclists need to be legislated and trained into submission, while car drivers continue to be awarded licenses by opening boxes of Cracker Jacks." Stormdragon

Our Pack

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." Dom Helder Camara, Archbishop of Recife.

Don't take life too seriously...nobody ever gets out alive.
Joebar4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:50 PM   #55
Sprinklerhead

1%

Name:
Before you buy that 600rr, you might want to look into cam chain tensioners and regulator/rectifiers...for some reason, Honda still can't get those right and that's a lot easier than building a 3 cylindered engine.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #56
Sprinklerhead

1%

Name:
Quote:
Nah, the French side is the thieving-scum side. The Irish side is the violent drunk side.

The English part? Er...

Reminds me of a joke:

[bastardize]...[/bastardize]
Sounds about right.

When are you gonna get off your lazy arse and meet me for a pint some evening?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #57
Joebar4000
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Before you buy that 600rr, you might want to look into cam chain tensioners and regulator/rectifiers...for some reason, Honda still can't get those right and that's a lot easier than building a 3 cylindered engine.
Just replaced a RR on a friends 600...and he has a manual tensioner already...

How can Honda make a bike that's otherwise utterly bullet-proof and STILL can't get a RR or camchain tensioner right?

"Motorcyclists need to be legislated and trained into submission, while car drivers continue to be awarded licenses by opening boxes of Cracker Jacks." Stormdragon

Our Pack

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." Dom Helder Camara, Archbishop of Recife.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:55 PM   #58
squirrls
My dad is an engineer

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by bobdmac
Don't you think Triumph's engineers might know more about mechanical engineering than your dad? It sounds to me like he might be the one talking out of turn.
keep reading on buddy, I say that I'm sure they know plenty more than my dad. I was saying that my dad probably knew more about engineering than the first couple guys that spouted out crap (I hope no offense is taken by them or anything I am sure they know way more than I do in regards to bikes).

what everyone needs to understand is that my dad was provided with very little information, DUE TO ME NOT GIVING IT. This doesn't make my dad an idiot and I was only arguing back because people were bagging on him w/o good reason. I'm sorry that you think he is an idiot because when he went to school in the 70's he was taught that 3 cylinder engines were no good... however in his class at cal poly I'm sure they weren't in regards to putting one in a sport bike. My dad having that information back then and not being up to date on all the triples that have been put out doesn't make him dumb or whatever, just he doesn't care enough to spend his time reading up about all of the bikes out. It makes me stupid for not showing him all the information about the triple. I'm sure if I show him the schematics for the 675 I'm sure his mind would change, however he just hasn't been shown that. And since he hasn't spent years of his life in the mechanical engineering behind a 675 triple, he doesn't know. Again, that makes him uninformed, not stupid... learn the difference.

Quote:
Quote:
Here ya go!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:56 PM   #59
Joebar4000
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Sounds about right.

When are you gonna get off your lazy arse and meet me for a pint some evening?
Next year, seriously. Tonight is putting springs on the Miata, this weekend is trackday/building christmas pressies, then its Xmas insanity.

Anyway, in January it'll feel like an English summer anyway. Perfect time to sit outside at the pub!

Squirrls, you might wanna take a look at the primary balance of Harley's too Yes, they suck. A 90 degree V twin has perfect primary balance, but that doesn't 'look' right, apparently...*potato potato potato*

Our Pack

Old 12-07-2005, 05:56 PM   #60
Sprinklerhead

1%

Name:
Quote:
Just replaced a RR on a friends 600...and he has a manual tensioner already...

How can Honda make a bike that's otherwise utterly bullet-proof and STILL can't get a RR or camchain tensioner right?
My guess would be that it's because HRC doesn't use those stock parts.