BARF Admin
Founding Member
BARFies '06, '08, '10, '14
Contributor ++++BB

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally posted by rama

Funny- I find weekend riding riskier, at least during the summer. Too many squids on the roads I like to ride. I find commuting safer.
Goes to show that we all have different ways of evaluating risks For me, my commute route and time are not of my choosing... I must cross this bridge to get to the other side... I must be on the road by this time so I can get to work on time... Therefore, I must ride with all other idiots on the road, at this hour.

On the weekend, it's up to me to get to a road of my choice before everyone shows up. I determine the when, where and how -- way more options for the sake of risk management.

I love commuting on bike... Who doesn't like to save some time or a few toll bucks? As much as I enjoy lane-sharing, it's still "going to work". I would be pissed if I couldn't go on a weekend leisure ride because I and my bike got messed up while "going to work". That's just me though.
NoGall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #32
faz
Sexiest Ex-Mod around!ô

BARF Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor + +

Motorcycles: 07 zx14
Name: Faz
great posts, oldapeman.

I have been working hard to reduce risks involved after my daughter was born 10 months ago... this, along with my new found love for BMW motorcycles, will hopefully keep me riding for many more years.

I do notice though, that at my current age of 39... I am a lot less sharp than I used to be when in my twenties... I guess too many beers and too many dead brain cells are causing a bit of a damage there... so I have adjusted my driving and riding habits accordingly as well.
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #33
CHICKenstrip
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '05 SV 650S
Name: Barbara
Quote:
Originally posted by rama
Funny- I find weekend riding riskier, at least during the summer. Too many squids on the roads I like to ride. I find commuting safer.
Commuting seems riskier to me BUT if I didn't commute nearly every day, my skills would not be as sharp. I think if I was a weekend, seasonal rider only, I'd be in trouble out on the roads.

I've got awhile to go before I'm the thread starter's age but I've thought about the same thing. The problem with people saying to stop when it feels right is, just like with many automobile drivers, we may not be so quick to see when it's time to give it up...or refuse to acknowledge it. I'm giving myself 5-7 years and then I'll probably be a grandma and give myself up to babysitting a lot.

RIP phatroy, 11/15/65 - 11/13/07

Barbara, there's something wrong with your Ducati...There's oil on the clutch! (GrizzlyPeakGuy)

All I heard was, "I'm a woman. I have a gun. I ride a Ducati." (cardinal03)

Dayum, Barb! That guy was lookin' at you like a pork chop fresh off the grill! (phatroy)
CHICKenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #34
ChuckBecker
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: FZ-07
Name: Chuck
It's impossible to answer for someone else, just depends on the individual. It sounds like motorcycling has been part of your life for a long time. I'm 56 and no where near ready to quit (but of course one bad get off could change that instantly ... so I make some adjustments to try to reduce that risk). Keep riding as long as you're able, and like NoGall said, adjust your riding to suit your capabilities.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #35
NoGall

AMA #: 690440
BARF Admin
Founding Member
BARFies '06, '08, '10, '14
Contributor ++++BB

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally posted by CHICKenstrip

The problem with people saying to stop when it feels right is, just like with many automobile drivers, we may not be so quick to see when it's time to give it up...or refuse to acknowledge it.
Just to clarify... That comment was for the OP and the content of his post -- he didn't come across as the type that would insist on:

"I can't see shit, but you've got to pry those keys out of my cold, dead hand."

NoGall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #36
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally posted by oldapeman
4. Reducing the motorcycle commuting is something I might consider, when the time is right. Right now, I still enjoy that.
Quote:
Originally posted by NoGall
I love commuting on bike... Who doesn't like to save some time or a few toll bucks? As much as I enjoy lane-sharing, it's still "going to work". I would be pissed if I couldn't go on a weekend leisure ride because I and my bike got messed up while "going to work". That's just me though.
One of the things that is helping me keep from aging too quickly is the elimination of the commute entirely. I spent 13 years commuting into Silicon Valley, then found a good high tech job two miles from my home.

Now that I no longer commute, the commuting stress that I used to feel is completely gone. So now I can walk to work when I want to. I ride a bicycle most days, but I decide on a day to day basis whether to walk, ride a bike, ride a motorcycle, or drive my car. And sometimes I'll take one bike in the morning, go home at lunch and swap, then ride the other one in the afternoon. And now all of my riding is for pleasure, not just to get somewhere.

Getting the stress of commuting out of my life has made a BIG difference.
ScottRNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #37
canyonrat
Veteran Knee Dragger

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2014 Aprilia RSV4-R
Name: Mark
We have 2 local riders 74 and 75, they ride just fine!

And the 74 year old acts 18ish!

Hear, "I am", send me an angel. As I ride, may an angel fly at my side!

"I sence much BEER in you", Yoda (American Jedi Master).

A friend gave me a book about the ills of drinking, so I stopped reading.
canyonrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #38
herrsonic
Veteran

Motorcycles: Italian...........
Name:
if you're thinking about it, you're not ready to quit yet ...

... one day, you will walk into the garage (maybe with a cane), see your bike, and not feel the urge to ride

... on the other hand, if you think that it is becoming too risky to ride, it becomes a personal decision ... lots of young guys come to that decision after seeing their friends go out in flames.
herrsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #39
sensei
Dual Sport Ownz Ju

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Now 15 FZ-09, 08 WR250R, Gone 85 Ninja6R, 89 GSX-R750, 92 Ninja Zx-7, 94 CBR9RR, 02 R1, 88 FZR1000
Name: Miagi-san
I started riding when I was 7. I'm only 36 and have contemplated parking the bike for similar reasons oldapeman mentioned.

Most of it for me is around taking safe measure to make sure I'm there for my wife and two daughters.
remember lesson #1 on balance? It applies through your whole life!

Current:
2017 Yamaha TTE-R110E (Blue)
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (Matte Silver)
2008 Yamaha WR250R (Blue)
sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #40
Coffae
Crash Test Dummy

Motorcycles: '05 Gsxr750
Name: Mickey
Quote:
Originally posted by flying_hun Like what Tom said, when it no longer gives you enough to justify the risk, walk away. But, walk away knowing that you haven't guaranteed anything other than not riding motorcycles any longer.

Best wishes, [/B]
Excellent point--nothing is guaranteed unless you walk away yourself.

I enjoy your sense of family; not only are you eloquent, but wise. It is obvious your loss would be devastating to your family--but this would be so at any time--so I would have to say to leave that decision to the higher powers and live your life.

...and never stop making love...
Coffae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #41
Silly Sod
Notorious Huffer

Founding Member

Motorcycles: One of the few Barfers that actually rides one!
Name:
Young-chimp-laidee
Most of the posts on this thread have been great!
Having hung onto bars for the last twenty six years, and interrogated myself daily on the exact subject.

There is a lot of advice and knowledge to be gained from you let alone give.
I should probaly have hung up the helmet a long time ago.
I can't!! Love the control, brakes, throttle, needle like surgical precision.
Tried the car thing just didn't jibe.
Given how I feel now at 42 I can only imagine what it is you are going through.
I have no advice to give just let me know when you do.
=Silly Sod

Last edited by Silly Sod; 08-16-2007 at 04:28 PM..
Silly Sod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #42
a1scoot
Hardcore

AMA Life Member #595906

Motorcycles: Have hurt me
Name: Al
Give it up when you can no longer swing a leg over the saddle.....
When you no longer feel the passion that is riding.....
When you are THINKING more about life than living it.....
When you are too nervous on the road to enjoy it...
When motorcycles seem CRAZY to you as well....
I'm 50 and bikes are still the source of my grins..
My dad is 78 and rides an 06 Harley Deluxe.
Your life...your choices.
P.S. check my signature line.
a1scoot
"Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out,and loudly proclaim:WOW....WHAT A RIDE!"

Last edited by a1scoot; 08-17-2007 at 05:58 AM..
a1scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #43
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
I still enjoy riding, though I avoid heavy commute hour traffic whenever possible, which means I ride in heavy traffic about once a year.

Fred Willink is still racing (thruxton Cup) at 65 or so, and he beat Springer once, which is pretty fucking good.

I ended up beating about two thirds of the guys I raced with last year, which I was happy with. I just did not want to be last.

I am 61 and a half.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #44
ramoneguru
Another Statistic.

Motorcycles: 2007 Honda CBR 600rr, 2010 Honda Elite 110cc, 2005 CRF 250r
Name: Nick
Why not stick to trail riding? I think it'd be fun to be the old guy on the trails just straight taking the younger kids to school.

Well, I imagine the old guys schooling me have big ass smiles on their face when they pass me on a fast turn doing 40mph while I'm taking it at like 20mph....

God I can't wait till my engine gets back together by next week.....winter's coming and its time to go ride.

--Nick
ramoneguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #45
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
My history is similar to yours, apeman. In fact, if you were in Berkeley 35 years ago, we may even have crossed paths on Grizzly Peak.

I think degradation with age is exaggerated. No, I'll never run a 2:50 marathon again, but I don't think physical fitness beyond a basic level even matters for street riding. If you can sit on the motorcycle comfortably and you have a full range of motion, you're fully capable of riding.

Here's something to consider: The rate at which you can improve your riding is much greater than the slow, almost imperceptible rate at which you lose faculties with age. So, if you spend time developing new skills and learning from mistakes (both your own and others'), you'll be a more capable rider at this time next year, not a less capable one.

Quote:
oldapeman wrote: I truly want to live to see my children grow up and give me grandchildren, and to travel to far off places with my lovely wife, who has grudgingly induged my motorcycling thus far.
What you're describing here is a decreasing tolerance for risk, and that--not concern for waning ability--is what I think is at the heart of the feelings you so eloquently expressed.

I've yammered endlessly about managing riding risk over the years, and I don't want to repeat it all over again, but I will leave you with this:
Even a more risk-tolerant rider will see his tolerance decrease as he takes on new responsibilities, and as tolerance wanes, his throttle hand will become less aggressive. After landing a plum job, getting married, or having a child, you may find yourself looking for different roads, different riding partners, or even a different kind of motorcycle. Awareness of your changing tolerance for risk can keep you out of situations in which you learn, too late, that you're in over your head.

Know thyself.

Last edited by DataDan; 01-02-2009 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: replaced 8-bit characters mangled in database conversion
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote