Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Ghost8475
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2007 Honda CBR600rr
Name:
forgot to fill up the tank...

Well today was an exciting day to say the least... I was riding about 6 hours today, and being used to drive a car, I have a gas gauge; on the bike, I dont. And forgetting this fact I soon realized that there is a finite amount of gas in my tank after my bike proceeded to sputter and then die... Right in the middle of and intersection. . Well, after getting yelled at by the masses, she decided to start and I was able to sputter to the side of the road. I then did the FINE-C steps, and got stopped on F; Fuel... And after switching the reserve on she ran fine all the way to the gas station to be filled up and to also change my boxers. Just thought I would share this with you all, and if you cant tell yet, this is my first switch to reserve; and also I am a newb.
Stay frosty,

- Ghost

Only do one illegal thing at a time. It's easier to talk your way out of it!
- Entoptic
Ghost8475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
VicTim
VMCSF

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: 2017 Indian Springfield. 2015 Honda NC700X
Name: Tim
Sounds like a lesson well learned.

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheep

"An old whore doesn't giggle much" HST
VicTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Splicer
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2004 Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans Nero Corsa
Name: Steve
Ah, I cherish the memory of the first time I fondled my petcock in public... The people in the intersection I was in weren't very happy about it either.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Mad-B-Man
Veteran

AMA #: 2826078

Motorcycles: 07 Ninja 250, 82 Honda Motocompo
Name: Brian
I left mine on reserve once and ran out. Had to tip the bike over all the way to get some gas pooled at the bottom into the petcock side. The bike died completely 2 blocks away from the nearest gas station. Luckily I was up hill, so I could just coast all the way down, then push it into the station.

I make it a point to refill at 200 on the trip or earlier now.
Mad-B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
kurth83
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda CB500X, BMW F700GS
Name:
My first (and only so far) was on a twisty, fortunately it lost power slowly so I could
straighten up and come to a stop safely. By slowly mean I had like 10 seconds warning.

That made me really paranoid about running out of gas on nasty roads.
So when I hit a road like 17 on my way to SC, and I am worried about being a bit low
I hit the reserve right then so I don't lose power on the hill.

I also reset my trip meter every time I fill up, it doubles pretty nicely as a gas guage.
kurth83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
sliverstorm
Veteran

Motorcycles: -
Name:
To those of you who aren't used to the reserve switch yet, here's what you do:

- Pay attention to the ODO. Many bikes will run out of gas at the same point. My KLR runs out at 255 miles almost like clockwork.

- When the ODO is getting to that point, pay attention to the way the bike is moving. If you're paying attention, you'll detect the early warnings in the form of mild surging (tiny loss of power, then comes back)

Then, after you get accustomed to detecting the surging, you'll know the bike is about to run out of gas 60-120 seconds before it dies, so you'll be ready to hit that petcock.
sliverstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
sliverstorm
Veteran

Motorcycles: -
Name:
To clarify a bit, the early surging is usually so subtle you question yourself.

"Did I really just feel that, or was it nothing?"

Yes, you did. That was it. If you've got a steady throttle, not accelerating or decelerating, if you think you just felt something you most likely did.

Of course, not EVERY bike is so forgiving. My KTM purrs like a kitten right into the "ALMOST NO GAS" zone, and then without any warning whatsoever, it stalls when you clutch & let go of the gas.
sliverstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Pking
Humble Rider

Motorcycles: Suzuki 1250FA
Name: Pat
Since my bike has no gauge, I simply reset the trip meter at each fill up. When it hit about 187 or so I know it's pretty close to surging. Works like a charm so far.
Pking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
Diezel
كافر extraordinaire

Motorcycles: Yo mamma
Name:
The one and only time I've had it happen was on 85 south while hitting the off ramp for cottle. Thankfully there's a chevron down the street. My old VFR didn't have the loverl fuel gauge like my busa does!

Coasted to the light, bike dies.. I think oh crap. Hit the petcock to reserve, couple seconds of cranking and she fires. Off to chevron I go...
Old 02-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
having to switch over to reserve while lane-sharing in traffic through LA while in the rain on a bike uve now ridden for 1hr ever was VERY VERY challenging. engine dead, try to reach reserve w/ right hand, no go, left hand off, wups, clutch in, shift to neutral, coast, switch to reserve, clutch in, back in gear, bump start engine, accelerate... all without getting run over.
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
Thateguhate
Dislikes Cyclists!

AMA #: 1101801

Motorcycles: 2001 Honda CBR F4i
Name: Dave
When I used to ride the old 50cc ruckus that had no gas gauge I used to carry around a small metal fuel bottle I picked up from REI (about the size of a water bottle)

I don't think it was safe for me to put in my backpack but if you have a storage unit large enough its something to think about. You never know sometimes!

Vouches

Catalyst Reaction
elskipador
Thateguhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
Oh My Sack!
Rides at speed of smell

Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300A-ABS
Get one of these for your garage. It's awesome! Holds 14 gallons, I fill it, drop some StarTron in it for E10 reasons, a dose of Marvel Mystery Oil, and my FJR gets topped off on return to the stable. I never leave home without a full tank. If I'm real low, I just hit the station.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
Oh My Sack!
Rides at speed of smell

Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300A-ABS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thateguhate View Post
When I used to ride the old 50cc ruckus that had no gas gauge I used to carry around a small metal fuel bottle I picked up from REI (about the size of a water bottle)

I don't think it was safe for me to put in my backpack but if you have a storage unit large enough its something to think about. You never know sometimes!
22 oz MSR Fuel bottle. I always have one in the case when I tour. It's good for about 12 miles on the FJR.

Pretty much any Army/Navy surplus has them as well as any backpacking/camping outfitter.

A 22oz runs about $19 and they are built to contain volatile fuels.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
Tydive
Rides every day

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: '13 V-Strom 650
Name: Ty
Yeah, been there. The key thing is to remember to reset the petcock so next time you have the reserve. I like the fuel bottle idea, we use them camping but it never occurred to me to carry one on the bike.
Tydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
CoolBDPhenom03
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2017 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Grantourismo 2009 Yamaha R6 Superstock
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
22 oz MSR Fuel bottle. I always have one in the case when I tour. It's good for about 12 miles on the FJR.

Pretty much any Army/Navy surplus has them as well as any backpacking/camping outfitter.

A 22oz runs about $19 and they are built to contain volatile fuels.

I've seen those around. Those would be SUPER handy to carry. Just don't mistake it for a water bottle

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
CoolBDPhenom03 is offline   Reply With Quote