Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
sliverstorm
Veteran

Motorcycles: -
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
22 oz MSR Fuel bottle. I always have one in the case when I tour. It's good for about 12 miles on the FJR.

Pretty much any Army/Navy surplus has them as well as any backpacking/camping outfitter.

A 22oz runs about $19 and they are built to contain volatile fuels.

Make sure not to buy the shitty knock-offs that have become so popular for drinks. The knock-offs are designed to hold water, not explosives.
sliverstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
Oh My Sack!
Rides at speed of smell

Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300A-ABS
Name: Tim
Correct. The washer and end caps on the cheazy bottles are not designed to contact fuel so they disintegrate quickly and leak.

Nothing like riding around with a bomb waiting to go off in your backpack or tankbag!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #18
bunnygoat
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 950SM
Name: Dan
The MSR bottles won't open bouncing around in my trunk? Every water bottle has, even my Sigg.
bunnygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
Oh My Sack!
Rides at speed of smell

Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300A-ABS
Name: Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnygoat View Post
The MSR bottles won't open bouncing around in my trunk? Every water bottle has, even my Sigg.
Never seen it happen. That's one of the biggest differences in their construction. Deep, precision threads, and high quality O-rings that mate into the machined recesses of the cannister allow you to torque them down snugly and they never budge and they always come open when you want them to.

They are not toy water bottles, not even close.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #20
Thateguhate
Dislikes Cyclists!

AMA #: 1101801

Motorcycles: 2001 Honda CBR F4i
Name: Dave
Nope they don't leak.. I've kept them in my backpack for weeks on end. I'd use it if i didn't need to do an emergency fill up maybe once a month or so just to keep it fresh.

Vouches

Catalyst Reaction
elskipador
Thateguhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:59 AM   #21
sliverstorm
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnygoat View Post
They shouldn't open, no, but I would suggest securing them somehow. Strap to the subframe, tie under the seat, adhere into the trunk. Some way of keeping a quart of gasoline from bouncing around all the time :|
Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #22
Kootenanny
Rookie

Motorcycles: Buell Firebolt
Name: Wile E.
I can't imagine people are suggesting someone carry spare fuel in a separate bottle, no matter how secure, in an urban setting. You're heading out to cross a desert, then yeah, but...for everyday riding, this is what the "reserve" setting on the fuel petcock is for.

As others have mentioned, with a bit of experience you will learn to tell when the bike is about to run out, and you can reach down to the petcock and switch it to reserve without even slowing down. It's a skill pretty much all motorcyclists had "back in the day," but nowadays with EFI the fuel reserve has been replaced by the low fuel warning light (as long as you can see it...sometimes, in strong light...). And yes, the trip odometer is very useful.

One thing I never did understand...my early 80s Japanese bikes had fuel gauges, and pretty accurate ones, too...my modern bike doesn't...hmmm.
Kootenanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #23
CoolBDPhenom03
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2017 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Grantourismo 2009 Yamaha R6 Superstock
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenanny View Post
I can't imagine people are suggesting someone carry spare fuel in a separate bottle, no matter how secure, in an urban setting. You're heading out to cross a desert, then yeah, but...for everyday riding, this is what the "reserve" setting on the fuel petcock is for.

As others have mentioned, with a bit of experience you will learn to tell when the bike is about to run out, and you can reach down to the petcock and switch it to reserve without even slowing down. It's a skill pretty much all motorcyclists had "back in the day," but nowadays with EFI the fuel reserve has been replaced by the low fuel warning light (as long as you can see it...sometimes, in strong light...). And yes, the trip odometer is very useful.

One thing I never did understand...my early 80s Japanese bikes had fuel gauges, and pretty accurate ones, too...my modern bike doesn't...hmmm.
Yeah, all I've got is a fuel light. God forbid that malfunctions or just dies. This might be handy since some modern bikes don't have reserve tanks.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
CoolBDPhenom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #24
sliverstorm
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenanny View Post

As others have mentioned, with a bit of experience you will learn to tell when the bike is about to run out, and you can reach down to the petcock and switch it to reserve without even slowing down.
Good sir, please educate us on how exactly you expect brand new riders with no experience to magically have a bit of experience?

Until you have experience, odds are pretty damn good you're going to run out of gas at one point or another, and pushing your bike a few miles just plain sucks. Hell, I got stranded way up in the mountains once when I was still pretty new. Was I glad I just happened to have 16oz of injector cleaner in my backpack? You bet.

(Did my bike run well? Hell no. But it got me out of miles of steep mountain roads at a time when nobody else was driving)
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #25
Diezel
كافر extraordinaire

Motorcycles: Yo mamma
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverstorm View Post
Good sir, please educate us on how exactly you expect brand new riders with no experience to magically have a bit of experience?

I agree. Hell even some of us well experienced folks.. Screw up, and forget about the damn petcock mode, and how much fuel is in the tank.

Thankfully, my hayabusa has a very false "empty" level. Mine reads mid red to E, when it's got about a gallon left.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #26
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
Never seen it happen. That's one of the biggest differences in their construction. Deep, precision threads, and high quality O-rings that mate into the machined recesses of the cannister allow you to torque them down snugly and they never budge and they always come open when you want them to.

They are not toy water bottles, not even close.
+1. they arent designed just to store petroleum products... they are designed to survive outdoors sports that are hard on gear. ive dropped my MSR bottle off a 40ft cliff onto granite by accident. as a rock climber, i felt shameful, but the bottle barely dented and its not like the white-gas inside didnt work on my stove.

it is a little comical to think about carrying one of these on an MC. itd never fit in the "trunk" on my 600RR, but i may think about putting one in my pack next time i take a really really long trip. if i had a dual sport, id use it for MC camping trips since my stove runs on any petroleum fuel hehe.
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #27
nine_inch_rear
Veteran

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: 08 Duc Hyper S,
Name: Stephen
oooo good idea with those bottles. Now I might make the trip from Mines road to the end of del puerto canyon
nine_inch_rear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #28
reidconti
Veteran

3% Contributor

Motorcycles: WeeStrom
Name:
When I was commuting, a few times every week, bike sputters at 85mph with cars on my ass, flip to reserve, crack the throttle, go.

The trip meter was broken too.
reidconti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #29
JO EBRMC
Is idjut

Motorcycles: XR650, Buell 1125CR and F3/RC51/Hawk/CBR929/VFR - that's one bike
Name: Jerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopesick View Post
I agree. Hell even some of us well experienced folks.. Screw up, and forget about the damn petcock mode...

Or children screwing around with it switch it to reserve.

I learned of this on the Bay Bridge.

I still don't think I'd regularly carry around a bottle of fuel though.
JO EBRMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #30
akacastle
Veteran

Motorcycles: 01 gsxr600, 08 sv650s
Name:
dumb and dumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03 View Post
I've seen those around. Those would be SUPER handy to carry. Just don't mistake it for a water bottle
Oh come on, you can relieve the scene from dumber and dumber
akacastle is offline   Reply With Quote