Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #31
R3DS!X
Whatever that means

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: Energica EVA
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
Get one of these for your garage. It's awesome! Holds 14 gallons, I fill it, drop some StarTron in it for E10 reasons, a dose of Marvel Mystery Oil, and my FJR gets topped off on return to the stable. I never leave home without a full tank. If I'm real low, I just hit the station.

I picked up one of those at costco. Only 50 bux!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #32
Kootenanny
Rookie

Motorcycles: Buell Firebolt
Name: Wile E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverstorm View Post
Good sir, please educate us on how exactly you expect brand new riders with no experience to magically have a bit of experience?
They gain experience through exactly the kind of incidents the OP "experienced." Others will benefit from his "experience" simply by reading this thread.

Sorry, but I think that advising people to carry spare fuel around in a backpack is poor advice. It kinda gives me the chills. This is what the "reserve" setting on the petcock is for--and it's a damn sight easier to just reach down and switch the petcock to "reserve" than it is to put in fuel from a canister on the side of a busy road.
Kootenanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #33
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
Mod Alumni
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenanny View Post
Sorry, but I think that advising people to carry spare fuel around in a backpack is poor advice. It kinda gives me the chills. This is what the "reserve" setting on the petcock is for--and it's a damn sight easier to just reach down and switch the petcock to "reserve" than it is to put in fuel from a canister on the side of a busy road.
If people have a short range bike, and they're going to be where gas is scarce, carrying some extra gas is a reasonable option. I've done so before my Hyper got the big tank. For normal riding. Use your trip odo and your petcock - assuming your bike has one. I can recall running out of gas on a street ride exactly once in over thirty years of riding on the street.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #34
fast4d
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2001 aprilia
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DS!X View Post
I picked up one of those at costco. Only 50 bux!
then I'm going to costco this weekend!
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #35
Kootenanny
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
For normal riding. Use your trip odo and your petcock - assuming your bike has one. I can recall running out of gas on a street ride exactly once in over thirty years of riding on the street.
Exactly. I started riding in the 70s, and although I might have run out of gas on occasion, I also must have learned from the experience, since I haven't run out for decades.

If you're gonna be heading out on an adventure ride far from filling stations, then sure, you might want to pack some spare fuel (on the bike, not in a backpack!). But for running around in town? Come on!

Last edited by Kootenanny; 02-07-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Old 02-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #36
3stripes
Banned

Contributor

Motorcycles: twin baby!!!
Name:
Hey, I don't mind others riding around with a bottle or two inside their backpack. Might help out other riders in a jam once in a while. Don't ask me how I know this.
3stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #37
sliverstorm
Veteran

Motorcycles: -
Name:
Quote:
They gain experience through exactly the kind of incidents the OP "experienced." Others will benefit from his "experience" simply by reading this thread.

Dude, I'm not advising this for all riders, all the time. I just think a brand new rider who's not used to motorcycles might benefit a few times from having a 2nd 'backup reserve' strapped to his bike somewhere. Almost everybody ran out of fuel at least once when they were starting out, no matter how hard you try to remember to switch off reserve after you filled up your tank. I don't see why it's so chill-inducing to not have to push your bike to the nearest gas station.
sliverstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #38
CoolBDPhenom03
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2017 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Grantourismo 2009 Yamaha R6 Superstock
Name:
Quote:
Get one of these for your garage. It's awesome! Holds 14 gallons, I fill it, drop some StarTron in it for E10 reasons, a dose of Marvel Mystery Oil, and my FJR gets topped off on return to the stable. I never leave home without a full tank. If I'm real low, I just hit the station.

I've been looking at one of those. But after you use it, then what? Throw it in your car/truck and hit the gas station?

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
CoolBDPhenom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #39
Kootenanny
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverstorm View Post
I don't see why it's so chill-inducing to not have to push your bike to the nearest gas station.
It's chill-inducing to crash with flammable liquid in your backpack. And hey, newbies are, perhaps, in one of the higher danger categories for crashing.

A guy pushes his bike to the service station (or calls for help on a cell phone--this is the new millenia!) once, he's not likely to let it run dry again. Unless he's the type that doesn't learn so quick

All part of gaining that "experience" I was talking about above.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #40
Oh My Sack!
Rides at speed of smell

Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300A-ABS
Name: Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here2day View Post
Hey, I don't mind others riding around with a bottle or two inside their backpack. Might help out other riders in a jam once in a while. Don't ask me how I know this.
This

Other than when intentionally running my bikes out of gas a couple times to determine absolute range on a tank, I have NEVER used my fuel cell bottle for myself but you could ask my R6 owning budding from San Ramon how much he likes my fuel bottle....

...after he ran out of gas half way through Palomares Cyn when I was visiting last summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03 View Post
I've been looking at one of those. But after you use it, then what? Throw it in your car/truck and hit the gas station?

Just throw it away and buy a new one!

j/k....If I have less than 3/4 of a tank, I just hit the gas station otherwise, I use the portable to keep my tank topped off so it's always full and ready to roll. It's nice to roll right out of the garage each time knowing that I can't fit anymore fuel in my tank and just GO!

It takes a while to burn through 14 gallons when used that way and when you do, I throw it in the back of my truck and fill it up to the top. I put a dash of Marvel Mystery oil and StarTron in it thanks to the E10 shit fuel in Kali and don't worry about it going bad.

Are you guys seeing this Duramax FloN'Go at Costco right now? I haven't seen it there recently and I would buy a second one in a heartbeat. With volatile fuel costs due to the shit in the Middle East, I have no issue with buying extra at a better price and as spring and summer approach, you can always bet the price will go up and not down, especially down here where we get raped on fuel price.

Last edited by Oh My Sack!; 02-07-2011 at 04:30 PM..
Oh My Sack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #41
Oh My Sack!
Rides at speed of smell

Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300A-ABS
Name: Tim
Quote:
It's chill-inducing to crash with flammable liquid in your backpack. And hey, newbies are, perhaps, in one of the higher danger categories for crashing.

A guy pushes his bike to the service station (or calls for help on a cell phone--this is the new millenia!) once, he's not likely to let it run dry again. Unless he's the type that doesn't learn so quick

All part of gaining that "experience" I was talking about above.
Yeah....you hear of these things EXPLODING every fookin' day!

In case you haven't noticed, cars AND motorcycles have been crashing with even larger fuel cells on them since their inception. These MSR bottles are not made of tinfoil. If one crashes with enough force of impact to crush and compromise this cylinder enough for it to leak or 'splode....well....death by incineration is probably a humane thing.

PLUS....you never know when you might need a good stiff Molotov Cocktail!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #42
SpikeVFR
Veteran

Motorcycles: '04 Honda VFR
Name:
Sit on your bike in your garage or driveway with the engine off, learn by feel where the petcock is so you don't have to pull over to switch, you can then do it while riding as soon as you feel the bike start to conk out. As others have said, make sure to reset your petcock to "on" rahter than reserve when you fill up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost8475 View Post
Well today was an exciting day to say the least... I was riding about 6 hours today, and being used to drive a car, I have a gas gauge; on the bike, I dont. And forgetting this fact I soon realized that there is a finite amount of gas in my tank after my bike proceeded to sputter and then die... Right in the middle of and intersection. . Well, after getting yelled at by the masses, she decided to start and I was able to sputter to the side of the road. I then did the FINE-C steps, and got stopped on F; Fuel... And after switching the reserve on she ran fine all the way to the gas station to be filled up and to also change my boxers. Just thought I would share this with you all, and if you cant tell yet, this is my first switch to reserve; and also I am a newb.
Stay frosty,

- Ghost
SpikeVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #43
SpikeVFR
Veteran

Motorcycles: '04 Honda VFR
Name:
Really, dealing with that thing is easier than just stopping at the gas station when you need gas?
With it holding 14 gallons that is roughly, 3 fill ups or so to your bike. So you save two fill ups everytime you use it, but then have to deal with loading that thing in and out of your car/truck every time you use it. I can see if you were using it for something that doesn't go to the gas station, like a dirt bike, JetSki, snow blower, snow mobile, but for a vehicle I can drive to the station?? That would seem to be more work than is needed. No?

Quote:

SpikeVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #44
CuriousMike
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Imaginary
Name: Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydive View Post
Yeah, been there. The key thing is to remember to reset the petcock when you fill up so next time you have the reserve.
Back in the day, having switched to reserve, filled up, and not put it back to ON -- I literally ran out of gas.

Lesson learned.

Like "cleaning your kickstand" while the bike is on a bike stand, and then forgetting to put the kickstand back down when taking the bike off the stand.
CuriousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #45
CuriousMike
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Imaginary
Name: Mike
Oh.
Also, for those of you with digital tripometers... when you put a new battery in your bike, fill up your tank.

Your tripometer will likely reset on you with loss of power --
CuriousMike is offline   Reply With Quote