Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #46
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
Mod Alumni
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMike View Post
Oh.
Also, for those of you with digital tripometers... when you put a new battery in your bike, fill up your tank.

Your tripometer will likely reset on you with loss of power --
Judging by some of the posts here, using the trip odo to tell you when to fill up is a disappearing practice.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #47
Ghost8475
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2007 Honda CBR600rr
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
Judging by some of the posts here, using the trip odo to tell you when to fill up is a disappearing practice.
No, I was being a dumb ass and reset it half way though. So when my tank read 70mi and started to sputter I had no idea what was wrong . But now I have no idea when I need to fill up, So i just do it around 70 (It only takes like a gallon though, so I know I have A LOT more left). I just dont want to get stuck like that again.

- Ghost

Only do one illegal thing at a time. It's easier to talk your way out of it!
- Entoptic
Ghost8475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #48
Oh My Sack!
Rides at speed of smell

Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300A-ABS
Name: Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeVFR View Post
I can see if you were using it for something that doesn't go to the gas station, like a dirt bike, JetSki, snow blower, snow mobile, but for a vehicle I can drive to the station?? That would seem to be more work than is needed. No?
Mmmmmmnnnn....No!

As I mentioned previously, I DO fill up when I'm on out and the tank is low. I use it to keep it topped off so my tank is always full when I start out. A habit that might help the OP from a repeat fuel exhaustion episode since he has no gauge.

And it's really no big deal to throw the 14g tank in the truck when I need to fill it and/or my truck.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #49
RRrider
Enthusiast, Fukrwe Club

AMA #: 2709351
Contributor

Motorcycles: RSV4 Factory 2019, S1000XR 2016, KTM 350 exc-f 2016
Name: Richard
My sport bike doesn't have a reserve, and it has a small (4 gal) tank. I use the odometer religiously, and know my gas mileage is about 33 a 35 mpg (not much range). I've been talking about going up to 36, and for that, this gas tank in the backpack maybe just the ticket!
"Nanakorobi Yaoki"
RRrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #50
MysterYvil
Mr. Bad Example

AMA #: 2858947
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Alas, they are all in the past
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
I record every fill-up and calculate best/worst mileage from that. Mrs. follows my example.

We both use the trip odo to figure out when to refuel, based on worst-case mpg.

(My Ninja has a fuel gauge, which I've found to be howlingly pessimistic as well as inconstant; I never pay attention to it.)

Been riding since '87 and have only run out twice. Once was just me spacing on paying attention, the other was an unsuspected re-set of the trip odo.
MysterYvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #51
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
Mod Alumni
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRrider View Post
My sport bike doesn't have a reserve, and it has a small (4 gal) tank. I use the odometer religiously, and know my gas mileage is about 33 a 35 mpg (not much range). I've been talking about going up to 36, and for that, this gas tank in the backpack maybe just the ticket!
You can get premium at the Wildwood store. We stopped there on Saturday. You should be able to make it just fine.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #52
revnort
Tasty Pants

AMA#: 1108597
Contributor +++++++++

Motorcycles: F800GS, Dr. Zoidberg
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRrider View Post
Keep in mind those MSR bottles really aren't getting you that much. You are only going to a few miles out of them especially at 34 mpg.
revnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #53
Morphine
Team Clueless, Captain

Contributor

Motorcycles: GSXR750 EX500
Name: James
My tank is surprisingly small, lasts me only 120 miles. Yeah a couple of sputters on the freeway taught me to refill her up promptly.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #54
CoolBDPhenom03
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2017 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Grantourismo 2009 Yamaha R6 Superstock
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterYvil View Post
I record every fill-up and calculate best/worst mileage from that. Mrs. follows my example.

We both use the trip odo to figure out when to refuel, based on worst-case mpg.

(My Ninja has a fuel gauge, which I've found to be howlingly pessimistic as well as inconstant; I never pay attention to it.)

Been riding since '87 and have only run out twice. Once was just me spacing on paying attention, the other was an unsuspected re-set of the trip odo.
I use the trip odo in every vehicle I drive, even rentals. It's just a tiny thing you can do that provides A LOT of info.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
CoolBDPhenom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #55
Yo!Joe!!!
Read only user

Motorcycles: Upgrading to a pastel color scooter, a yoga mat and a bag full of kittens.
Name: really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
Get one of these for your garage. It's awesome! Holds 14 gallons, I fill it, drop some StarTron in it for E10 reasons, a dose of Marvel Mystery Oil, and my FJR gets topped off on return to the stable. I never leave home without a full tank. If I'm real low, I just hit the station.

What's better for stabilizing fuel and for dealing with the Ethanol problem..? Sta-Bil or StarTron? And what does MM Oil actually do for your fuel..? Please elaborate. I've never heard of MM Oil until now... And I've been using Sta-Bil for over five years now. When I'm home I also keep 5 gallon Jerry cans filled up and treated with Sta-Bil when stored in the garage for the bikes and the 4x4, for off-roading trips...

So. Sta-Bil or StarTron..? How are they similar and how are they different..?

T/Y in advance..!
Yo!Joe!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #56
CuriousMike
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Imaginary
Name: Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphine View Post
My tank is surprisingly small, lasts me only 120 miles. Yeah a couple of sputters on the freeway taught me to refill her up promptly.
That surprises me - I figured an EX500 would have at least 4 gallons of capacity, and minimally get 45MPG.
CuriousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #57
dwarf
Super StreetFighter

Seasoned Squid
Contributor

Motorcycles: Beauty & The Beast
Name: Chun-Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-B-Man View Post
I left mine on reserve once and ran out. Had to tip the bike over all the way to get some gas pooled at the bottom into the petcock side. The bike died completely 2 blocks away from the nearest gas station. Luckily I was up hill, so I could just coast all the way down, then push it into the station.

I make it a point to refill at 200 on the trip or earlier now.
Lucky! I was getting onto 680 in Lafayette and my bike started to stutter and as I tried to put it into reserve I realized I already was The second I pulled the clutch in she died and I tried to tip it so far but I just couldn't get any gas to get it to start. (I've been able to before, but this time I think I really ran it dry)

Called my friend to bring me gas and he just came with nothing :| I bought a 20oz gatorade from a gas station and filled it with gas and it was enough to start my bike and get me back there for a fill up.

I'm a little OCD about checking my petcock/fuel levels now.

BTW I have no gauges at all
Old 02-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #58
Morphine
Team Clueless, Captain

Contributor

Motorcycles: GSXR750 EX500
Name: James
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMike View Post
That surprises me - I figured an EX500 would have at least 4 gallons of capacity, and minimally get 45MPG.
Well, usually I fill up right after I switch to reserve and it takes ~2.7 gals before the fuel nozzle shuts me off. I read that there are .6 gal in the reserve. Which means I can squeeze in another gallon in the tank if I choose to top off.

But I'm not gonna.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #59
SpikeVFR
Veteran

Motorcycles: '04 Honda VFR
Name:
Anyone ever try one of those McCuff things that supposedly make it easier to fill up a motorcycle tank on a pump with the nozzle thing?
SpikeVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #60
CoolBDPhenom03
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2017 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Grantourismo 2009 Yamaha R6 Superstock
Name:
I've never used one but I do recall seeing advertisements for those and considered it for a while. It's just as easy to do it yourself really. Plus, that's one less thing to carry around.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
CoolBDPhenom03 is offline   Reply With Quote