Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
More PC problems, again! :(

The kids computer (Dell 6600) stopped "talking" to mine so no more internet access.

The only thing I can find/see is the PC "network adapter" (on his muthaboard) light has gone from blinking green, to blinking orange color. It passes MS/Dell diagnostics, so it's gotta be a config issue?

Any suggestions? I've been wandering around the network configuration area's doing diagnostics & flicking switches until I'm turning blue. I've tried replacing the cable, that's not it, switched all kinds of various switches, no change. It's not an easy one sadly...

Dell wants to charge me $150 just to show up, & $250 & up from there. We poor people & can't do that....

HELP! Please? Anyone?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
rodr
https://in-oz.com/

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
What's the network topology? Sounds like you are saying it is cabled to your computer. Usually a home network includes a router that PCs connect to.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
What's the network topology? Sounds like you are saying it is cabled to your computer. Usually a home network includes a router that PCs connect to.
Correct. My PC is the "host" where it's connected to the modem via a router both PC's connect to. Router connects to modem, & modem is the internet connection via DSL phone line.

My PC is functioning fine (as good as a shared PC can w/3 users); the kids PC is connected to the router via a 25ft. long Cat-5 cable, then out to the internet via the modem. My PC is connected to the router same way, except for a much shorter 3ft. cable.

Router is a Cisco/Lynksys E2000.

Thank you,

-ebd
Old 09-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
It could be that the network card has gone bad and the good news is that they're cheap. I'm sure some of the guys here have spares they could give (I don't or I would). If the nic is on the mobo, you can still use a nic card.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
rodr

Contributor + + + +

OK... orange LED suggests a hardware problem or cable problem. It might be on the router end, so you might try switching the cable connection to a different port on the router. If no change then try also running the long cable from the router to your own PC and see if that works... if it does then it's clearly something with the kid's PC.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishMortal View Post
It could be that the network card has gone bad and the good news is that they're cheap. I'm sure some of the guys here have spares they could give (I don't or I would). If the nic is on the mobo, you can still use a nic card.
I've been thinking that; but they think it's software config. (thus they want to charge me BIG $$$ just to diagnose it over the phone, even more to send someone out.) I'm thinking it's software config also because the NIC passes local diagnostics. I'm just not savvy enough to go thru all the various network configurations to know it's set up right. I've been trying to find the "switch" that must be set wrong, but thus far unable to find the right one.

The NIC's light changing from a blinking "green" to "orange" color has me thinking it's configuration also. It appears it "sees" network traffic (thus the "blinking light"), but will not communicate.

What really ticks me off is I've about given up, said screw the data & would just like to over-write everything from the default "image" that's in a hidden-partition on the HDD (the way it comes from the factory.) But the tech-support dweebs @ Dell will not tell me how to go about doing that.

Yes I've tried the F2/F8/F12 during boot to try to start from that partition, but it's apparently "hidden" & I can't see it; nor do I know the command to start it once/if I can see it. From the factory it just ran from the 1st start up back @ Xmas when we got him the machine...so I know it's there, just can't get it to go. Grrr.

Still scratching head....

-ebd
Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
PushHands
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: ones that work
Name:
Quote:
OK... orange LED suggests a hardware problem or cable problem. It might be on the router end, so you might try switching the cable connection to a different port on the router. If no change then try also running the long cable from the router to your own PC and see if that works... if it does then it's clearly something with the kid's PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayDave View Post
I've been thinking that; but they think it's software config.
Follow rodr and report back. Let's just isolate the problem and then come up with the solution. Don't make it harder on yourself than necessary and lets isolate the possible hardware issue before re-imaging your drive. If you just want to re-image your drive with the factory default image, surely Google will provide an answer.

But let's just take it one step at a time.
PushHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushHands View Post
Follow rodr and report back. Let's just isolate the problem and then come up with the solution. Don't make it harder on yourself than necessary and lets isolate the possible hardware issue before re-imaging your drive. If you just want to re-image your drive with the factory default image, surely Google will provide an answer.

But let's just take it one step at a time.
Dave, Step One - IMHO - should be to put the network settings back to what they were before you started playing with things. If it turns out that the router has one bad port and another is fine, you might not know it if you've screwed up the settings.

If no software settings were changed on the PC or the router prior to this issue, that does point to hardware - the nic card, the cable, or the router.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Quote:
Been there done that. Stupidly at 1st we got another 25ft. cable before I thought about swapping them, & got same response. No effect w/new cable. I also tried it on mine & it works fine w/either cable.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishMortal View Post
Dave, Step One - IMHO - should be to put the network settings back to what they were before you started playing with things. If it turns out that the router has one bad port and another is fine, you might not know it if you've screwed up the settings.

If no software settings were changed on the PC or the router prior to this issue, that does point to hardware - the nic card, the cable, or the router.
I tried both my pc (working fine right now), & the kids pc (problem pc) on various 4 ports of the router. No problem w/my pc (doesn't care which port I use), & still have the problem w/kids pc (no cure.)

I haven't tried default settings yet because this is where my "mental block" comes in, I'm afraid I will be blasted off the web w/this pc, thus I won't be able to communicate at all....? Then I'll have to call someone in.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
rodr

Contributor + + + +

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayDave View Post
I tried both my pc (working fine right now), & the kids pc (problem pc) on various 4 ports of the router. No problem w/my pc (doesn't care which port I use), & still have the problem w/kids pc (no cure.)

I haven't tried default settings yet because this is where my "mental block" comes in, I'm afraid I will be blasted off the web w/this pc, thus I won't be able to communicate at all....? Then I'll have to call someone in.
Don't change anything on the router, that is obviously working. It's either a config problem or hardware problem on the PC. Check its ethernet connector, might be something obvious like a bent wire in there.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Quote:
Don't change anything on the router, that is obviously working. It's either a config problem or hardware problem on the PC. Check its ethernet connector, might be something obvious like a bent wire in there.
Ok, I got me flashlight & magnifying glass & checked both the router & his computer Ethernet port. All ok...
Old 09-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
rodr

Contributor + + + +

OK you made me actually do a google search.

According to this, the blinking amber LED is normal, just means data is being sent/received. So now it looks like we're wrong about hardware trouble and you just need to focus on the PC's network configuration.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Ironbutt
Loves the anecdotal

AMA #: 2880504
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yamasaki
Name:
It has a root kit -- I bet-- Use combofix from bleeping computer
Ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #15
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Well I just spend the entire day (almost) on the phone w/Dell in both Luzon, Philippine's & Mandalay, India. Went from one tech to the next, repeating what has been done previously uncounted times. Finally I got miffed & started asking for a manager (many of them are extremely hard to understand- I understand, I know it's not their 1st language but Dell should provide good speaking tech-support people, period.)

His solution (after going thru the same questions AGAIN!), was to "try a NIC" or "Reload the Operating System." After more hours of fun, come to find out the "IMAGE" that's delivered w/the system is apparently self-destructing during the initial load (...Mr. Phelps, this recording will self-destruct in 10 seconds...), & I would need the CD's (getting the CD's was a $130 option during initial purchase -an option we chose not to buy. Duh.)

So, now I have to wait until Monday for 2nd day air to get here (tomorrow's Friday, geezus.) In the meantime, I'm scouring the house for another NIC, I know I got one someplace...

-ebd