BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > 1Rider


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #31
budman
General Menace
 
budman's Avatar
 
AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palo Alto, Ca.
Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEHBAM View Post
So how'd that go?
Here is a report on my effort.http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...t=NHTSA+Summit

See post #10.
A couple of key players are positioning to change the ratio of death to $$ as far as the NHTSA $$ distribution to the CA OTS. That will no doubt continue to be a challenge.

A couple of us on the MOTO SAFETY COMMITTEE are also working to try an get the extra CMSP $$$ cut loose so they can be used. That has been super frustrating for two years.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #32
LittleBigGirl
Veteran
 
LittleBigGirl's Avatar
 
AMA #3322079

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: The Shire
Motorcycles: 2017 SV650
Name: TJ
Hi! FYI the first and third links are no longer active. Do you have the pages as pdfs or somewhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
I received the updated info from a member of the CA Mission 12 Moto Safety committee and Research / Analyst Guru from Berkeley and also a rider.
Basically: Tom with the Berkeley Safe Transportation Research and Education Center (SafeTREC )

This stuff happens because the OTS cares and many hands helped create the amazing information that is now starting to come to us.

First up:
http://safetrec.berkeley.edu/special.../motorcyclists
The page has links to the 2 tools and to some other projects. Tom will be adding things as they learn more. This page will serve as the catch-all page for all things motorcycle...!!

Second an incredible tool:
http://tims.berkeley.edu/login.php?n...cycle/main.php

The mapping tool is ready for the motorcycle-riding masses...!!! Users will need to create a free account so that they can understand who is using the site - riders, police departments, public health departments, etc.

and third:
http://safetrec.berkeley.edu/content...on-data-tables

And the collision tables are above. They used SWITRS data for fatal or injury motorcycle collisions in California for years 2009-2011 and produced 16 data tables for each of the 58 counties and for each of the 75 most populous cities.

Guys like Data Dan will have some cool access and I know he has already done some review of this stuff and has been chatting with Tom.

The Mapping tool I looked at in its Beta form... you can find out where moto crashes occurred on your common routes and then pay more attention in those spots that may specifically be a bit more of a hot spot on your commute or rides. They tie to Google street views as well so you can look at the area and read the description. Smarter is better so please play with it and get smarter!!

Awesome stuff...!!
LittleBigGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #33
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide
 
DataDan's Avatar
 
BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Luis Obispo
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigGirl View Post
Hi! FYI the first and third links are no longer active. Do you have the pages as pdfs or somewhere else?
The first was just a page tailored to motorcyclists with links to the site's moto functionality.

I kinda remember the set of data tables available at the third link, but they don't appear on the site now.

The second link will take you to the map viewer, but you do have to register and sign in to see it. In addition to a map with an icon for each crash, the viewer produces a list of all crashes in a city in the specified time frame. You have to hit the "+" sign on "Collision List" below the map to see it.

I have recently reorganized my copy of the SWITRS database thru 2015 to more easily summarize moto-related stuff. If there's something specific you're interested in, I may be able to post a table or graph I already have or can produce quickly.

For info, here are a few of the data elements collected for every crash: date, time, location (city, county, road, milepoint, sometimes lat/lon), weather, crash severity (from fatal to non-injury), who was at fault, primary collision factor, type of collision (head-on, rear-end, etc.), types of vehicles involved. For each vehicle: driver age, sex, drug/alcohol use, injury severity, helmet, movement before crash, other contributing factors. There's not much about the motorcycle itself other than make.

Anything there you'd like to see?
__________________
How can I help seeing what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four.
--Winston Smith

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #34
budman
General Menace
 
budman's Avatar
 
AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palo Alto, Ca.
Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
I will talk to the SafeTrec gents and see what up.

Glad someone finally looked!!
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #35
LittleBigGirl
Veteran
 
LittleBigGirl's Avatar
 
AMA #3322079

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: The Shire
Motorcycles: 2017 SV650
Name: TJ
I am interested in all data except the "movement before the crash" because I am not entirely sure what that means.

Specifically I am interested in alcohol use, sex, and location if I had to pick a top three, but not necessarily those together. But the sex is only worth noting if we know how many riders out there are female versus male. I would assume that there are less female riders crashing than males based on sexist notions like aggression and lack of foresight, but there are generally less female riders on the road, so I am not sure how to quantify that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
The first was just a page tailored to motorcyclists with links to the site's moto functionality.

I kinda remember the set of data tables available at the third link, but they don't appear on the site now.

The second link will take you to the map viewer, but you do have to register and sign in to see it. In addition to a map with an icon for each crash, the viewer produces a list of all crashes in a city in the specified time frame. You have to hit the "+" sign on "Collision List" below the map to see it.

I have recently reorganized my copy of the SWITRS database thru 2015 to more easily summarize moto-related stuff. If there's something specific you're interested in, I may be able to post a table or graph I already have or can produce quickly.

For info, here are a few of the data elements collected for every crash: date, time, location (city, county, road, milepoint, sometimes lat/lon), weather, crash severity (from fatal to non-injury), who was at fault, primary collision factor, type of collision (head-on, rear-end, etc.), types of vehicles involved. For each vehicle: driver age, sex, drug/alcohol use, injury severity, helmet, movement before crash, other contributing factors. There's not much about the motorcycle itself other than make.

Anything there you'd like to see?
LittleBigGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #36
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide
 
DataDan's Avatar
 
BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Luis Obispo
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigGirl View Post
I am interested in all data except the "movement before the crash" because I am not entirely sure what that means.
It is motion immediately before impact, such as: "going straight", "turning left", "passing", "merging", etc.

Quote:
Specifically I am interested in alcohol use, sex, and location if I had to pick a top three, but not necessarily those together. But the sex is only worth noting if we know how many riders out there are female versus male. I would assume that there are less female riders crashing than males based on sexist notions like aggression and lack of foresight, but there are generally less female riders on the road, so I am not sure how to quantify that.
I'll put something together in a day or two. For now, here are two from recent work:

Annual Bay Area crashes increased by one-third from the recession low in 2010 to 2015 (this includes all police-reported motorcycle crashes from non-injury to fatal). Which age groups were most affected?




Crash lethality, the likelihood of a motorcycle crash killing the rider, differs by age group, as one might expect. But in California, with all of its geographic and demographic variation, it also differs by region:



This graph shows the percentage of riders (passengers excluded) who died in police-reported crashes. Regions are:
  • Sacramento Valley: counties on the I-5 corridor from Sacramento to Redding
  • Bay Area: 9 counties on the Bay + Santa Cruz
  • Central Coast: Ventura to Monterey plus San Benito
  • San Joaquin Valley: I-5 corridor from the Grapevine to Stockton
  • El Lay: Los Angeles and Orange Counties
  • Inland Empire: Riverside and San Bernardino Counties
  • Sandy Eggo: San Diego and Imperial Counties
__________________
How can I help seeing what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four.
--Winston Smith

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #37
Smash Allen
Banned
 
AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Motorcycles: a fast one
Name: Chris
I attribute the noticeably lower rates of lethality in the <25 and 25-34 group in the Bay Area to BARF we got the lowest rates in the state!
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #38
GAJ
Veteran
 
GAJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SANTA ROSA
Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post

Crash lethality, the likelihood of a motorcycle crash killing the rider, differs by age group, as one might expect. But in California, with all of its geographic and demographic variation, it also differs by region:

Aren't almost half of all riders over 50 now in California?
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:00 PM   #39
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide
 
DataDan's Avatar
 
BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Luis Obispo
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJ View Post
Aren't almost half of all riders over 50 now in California?
Very likely. IIRC, Motorcycle Industry Council (which does regular surveys) reports average owner age in the US is now over 50.

But as seen in the other graph, the 55+ group is nowhere near half of crashers. So their (our) vulnerability has a fairly small effect on overall lethality.
__________________
How can I help seeing what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four.
--Winston Smith

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #40
budman
General Menace
 
budman's Avatar
 
AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palo Alto, Ca.
Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
This is really interesting stuff Dan.

Love to hear you take on the different regions.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #41
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide
 
DataDan's Avatar
 
BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Luis Obispo
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
This is really interesting stuff Dan.

Love to hear you take on the different regions.
I don't know. Maybe traffic density in LA and the Bay Area tends to produce more low-speed, non-life-threatening crashes, while the wide-open spaces in the San Joaquin Valley and Inland Empire create more potentially deadly conditions.

Or maybe something related to demographics, but I'm not going there.
__________________
How can I help seeing what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four.
--Winston Smith

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #42
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide
 
DataDan's Avatar
 
BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Luis Obispo
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigGirl View Post
Specifically I am interested in alcohol use, sex, and location if I had to pick a top three...
Alcohol use gets a lot of attention, of course, but statistically it's not as big a crash factor as it is perceived to be. I'm not saying that alcohol impairment doesn't increase the chance of a crash. I mean that fewer motorcyclists drink and crash than some think.

In nearly all non-fatal crashes, the LEO assesses whether the rider had been drinking and whether he was impaired. This isn't a breath or blood test, but a judgment call. The following, from the CHP SWITRS database, is based on 65,000+ non-fatal crashes in California 2011-2015:






In fatal crashes, OTOH, the rider's blood alcohol content is entered into the US DOT's traffic fatality database. In California motorcycle fatalities, BAC is reported for about 80% of riders. This graph is based on 1800+ riders in fatal crashes 2011-2015:



Note that the .01-.07 contribution is relatively small (6.5%) while the .15+ contribution is large (17%). So a lower BAC limit for motorcyclists--a .05 standard has been suggested--would not address the greater problem of seriously drunk riders.

CMSP's Total Control Training mistakenly teaches that 52% of California riders in fatal crashes have BAC .01 or higher. In fact, it's closer to 30% as shown above.
__________________
How can I help seeing what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four.
--Winston Smith

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #43
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical
 
ctwo's Avatar
 
Respectful Contributor

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: auf der motobahn
Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
I think there are some problems with reporting. For example, none of my crashes that happened in the <25 age were reported. It seems most youths that crash are quick to jump up off the road and run to their bike to avoid the embarrassment. You get a little older, wiser, and more fragile and you end up with a report.

Cops are human too and I can see them giving some leniency or overlook a relatively non-serious concern. I wonder if a test should be automatic for survivors as well, and consideration of automatic DUI charges with BAC 0.01+.
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #44
LittleBigGirl
Veteran
 
LittleBigGirl's Avatar
 
AMA #3322079

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: The Shire
Motorcycles: 2017 SV650
Name: TJ
Cool, thank you for sharing this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
It is motion immediately before impact, such as: "going straight", "turning left", "passing", "merging", etc.


I'll put something together in a day or two. For now, here are two from recent work:

Annual Bay Area crashes increased by one-third from the recession low in 2010 to 2015 (this includes all police-reported motorcycle crashes from non-injury to fatal). Which age groups were most affected?




Crash lethality, the likelihood of a motorcycle crash killing the rider, differs by age group, as one might expect. But in California, with all of its geographic and demographic variation, it also differs by region:



This graph shows the percentage of riders (passengers excluded) who died in police-reported crashes. Regions are:
  • Sacramento Valley: counties on the I-5 corridor from Sacramento to Redding
  • Bay Area: 9 counties on the Bay + Santa Cruz
  • Central Coast: Ventura to Monterey plus San Benito
  • San Joaquin Valley: I-5 corridor from the Grapevine to Stockton
  • El Lay: Los Angeles and Orange Counties
  • Inland Empire: Riverside and San Bernardino Counties
  • Sandy Eggo: San Diego and Imperial Counties
LittleBigGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #45
LittleBigGirl
Veteran
 
LittleBigGirl's Avatar
 
AMA #3322079

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: The Shire
Motorcycles: 2017 SV650
Name: TJ
Interesting points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
I think there are some problems with reporting. For example, none of my crashes that happened in the <25 age were reported. It seems most youths that crash are quick to jump up off the road and run to their bike to avoid the embarrassment. You get a little older, wiser, and more fragile and you end up with a report.

Cops are human too and I can see them giving some leniency or overlook a relatively non-serious concern. I wonder if a test should be automatic for survivors as well, and consideration of automatic DUI charges with BAC 0.01+.
LittleBigGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.