Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > 1Rider

Notices

Old 07-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
CaptCrash
Dazed and Confused

Motorcycles: DRz400SM, 2012 Honda ST1300, 2015 Indian Scout
Name:
Try a Dirt Bike

Took the mighty DRZ for a long ride on some of our fine US Forest Service roads and I came back thinking: everybody should ride a dirt bike once in a while. Honestly, if you haven’t been on a dirt bike you need to get up on one. The motorcycle is so alive under you that it takes a moment to calm yourself and get used to it. Both the front and the rear slip and slither, push and slide; it can be frightening but in the end you’re OK. I believe that a great many street accidents happen when a street rider has an issue that a dirt biker would see as a normal bike behavior. On a fire road as you transition from one wheel track to the other you often have to cross a bar of loose, pushed up sand; the front will deflect, you’ll steer back into it and the front may even slip and then hook up on the fresh track. A street only rider can find that front end pushing around to be terrifying, think it’s the beginning of a crash, make a big input and BOOM instead of riding through a rough patch they actively crash their bike.

As I rode I realized that a lively, slipping bike isn’t what a lot of people expect from their rides. “Riding on a rail” and “Railing around a curve” or “stuck like glue” makes some newer riders believe that a bike is some kind Disney monorail humming around the enchanted kingdom. In reality a bike is a living, breathing thing that’s reacting to the world around it, hunting for traction, slipping and regaining its footing…want to feel it? Get on a dirt bike, twist the throttle hard and even when you’re going 25mph the back end may spin up and then hook back up. On my ride the DRZ routinely spun up the rear on hard upshifts and then hooked back up without my easing up on the throttle. The little thumper is set up with Continental Trail Attacks which are a tire set up for on road and light off road service. On dirt they work but aren’t nearly as useful as a full on knobby and on the street they “stick like glue” but that doesn’t mean you can’t make the rear spin on the asphalt. A simple hard shift in an intersection with the back passing over diesel or spilled coolant and the rear tire will break loose—it lasts only a second and for guys like me it might not register a .3 on the motorcycle earthquake scale but if it’s something you’ve never felt you might just think “THIS IS THE BIG ONE!” and make an input you might regret; maybe the back steps out of line and you chop the throttle and the back snaps back into line. This is a highside and can potentially kick you up onto the tank, or worse yet, all the way off the bike. Maybe you think you need to slow down and you stomp on the breaks and the back steps out or the front lets go. Could be as you yank on the front brake you make a steering input on a locked front wheel—that would be bad, bad, bad.

On a dirt bike you learn that sometimes the best action is no action. Just keep riding. Problems can be transitory and letting them pass without big inputs is the best course of action. Remember, a forest trail or fire road is a low traction surface, that’s why knobbies are the preferred tire. Riding on the dirt isn’t required but I would recommend it as a valuable experience. I haven’t had the DRZ off pavement in a long, long time but as I zipped down the trail I felt things I’ve felt on the pavement, little slips and slides, loss of traction and recovery, as well as basic unsettled riding; the joy of riding a living machine.

http://www.howzitdonecrash.com/
CaptCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
totally agree.

Good reminder Cap!
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
louemc
Veteran

Motorcycles: 05 Kawi ZX10R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
Took the mighty DRZ for a long ride on some of our fine US Forest Service roads and I came back thinking: everybody should ride a dirt bike once in a while. Honestly, if you haven’t been on a dirt bike you need to get up on one. The motorcycle is so alive under you that it takes a moment to calm yourself and get used to it. Both the front and the rear slip and slither, push and slide; it can be frightening but in the end you’re OK. I believe that a great many street accidents happen when a street rider has an issue that a dirt biker would see as a normal bike behavior. On a fire road as you transition from one wheel track to the other you often have to cross a bar of loose, pushed up sand; the front will deflect, you’ll steer back into it and the front may even slip and then hook up on the fresh track. A street only rider can find that front end pushing around to be terrifying, think it’s the beginning of a crash, make a big input and BOOM instead of riding through a rough patch they actively crash their bike.

As I rode I realized that a lively, slipping bike isn’t what a lot of people expect from their rides. “Riding on a rail” and “Railing around a curve” or “stuck like glue” makes some newer riders believe that a bike is some kind Disney monorail humming around the enchanted kingdom. In reality a bike is a living, breathing thing that’s reacting to the world around it, hunting for traction, slipping and regaining its footing…want to feel it? Get on a dirt bike, twist the throttle hard and even when you’re going 25mph the back end may spin up and then hook back up. On my ride the DRZ routinely spun up the rear on hard upshifts and then hooked back up without my easing up on the throttle. The little thumper is set up with Continental Trail Attacks which are a tire set up for on road and light off road service. On dirt they work but aren’t nearly as useful as a full on knobby and on the street they “stick like glue” but that doesn’t mean you can’t make the rear spin on the asphalt. A simple hard shift in an intersection with the back passing over diesel or spilled coolant and the rear tire will break loose—it lasts only a second and for guys like me it might not register a .3 on the motorcycle earthquake scale but if it’s something you’ve never felt you might just think “THIS IS THE BIG ONE!” and make an input you might regret; maybe the back steps out of line and you chop the throttle and the back snaps back into line. This is a highside and can potentially kick you up onto the tank, or worse yet, all the way off the bike. Maybe you think you need to slow down and you stomp on the breaks and the back steps out or the front lets go. Could be as you yank on the front brake you make a steering input on a locked front wheel—that would be bad, bad, bad.

On a dirt bike you learn that sometimes the best action is no action. Just keep riding. Problems can be transitory and letting them pass without big inputs is the best course of action. Remember, a forest trail or fire road is a low traction surface, that’s why knobbies are the preferred tire. Riding on the dirt isn’t required but I would recommend it as a valuable experience. I haven’t had the DRZ off pavement in a long, long time but as I zipped down the trail I felt things I’ve felt on the pavement, little slips and slides, loss of traction and recovery, as well as basic unsettled riding; the joy of riding a living machine.
It's where a rider learns How to ride a bike, so they can safely cope with the hazards of (and on) the public road...

It should be a requirement... Especially because it isn't required.

Massive percentage of riders don't know they need any skill at all.

A most critically important skill to learn, is learned on sketchy traction dirt/mud/snow/ice.
That is how (when you can) safely test traction.. Then You can carry that technique to pavement, and Always Know how much traction you have to work with.

Last edited by louemc; 07-14-2016 at 06:05 PM..
louemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #4
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
I know we've beat the technical aspects to death on this one, but I'll add that getting yourself out in the middle of nowhere and tooling about on random trails is some of the best mental healthcare one can practice.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
DefyInertia
Original Saratogian

BARF SFMTA Volunteer

Motorcycles: FTW
Name: Nate
And then when that dirt bike is hooking up like its on rails at the apex but you get to spin the rear the whole way out....aaaah
DefyInertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Such a wonderful dance, riding, especially dirt.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Riding is a dance. Learn the steps and Rock it.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:15 AM   #8
gt3x24x7
Veteran

AMA #3278988
Contributor

Motorcycles: CBR
Name:
Bah, must wait until university is done to afford more than one bike and have storage for multiple vehicles. Oh accounting & economics B.S., where art thou?

MBA and CPA license need to come faster too!
gt3x24x7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:06 AM   #9
johnk
Rookie

Motorcycles: BMW R65, Guzzi V11 Sport, Guzzi V50, Suz Dr350, Honda CB350
Name: John
This thread is spot on.
After riding 10 years all over the western US and Canada I spent a day on a friends bike riding trails and at the end of the day all I could think of was "I can't believe I wasted 10 years riding only on the street".
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:33 AM   #10
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by byke View Post
... getting yourself out in the
middle of nowhere and
tooling about on random trails
is some of the best mental healthcare
one can practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
time ...
to ...
RIDE!
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:49 AM   #11
jmil
Rookie

Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler
Name: Jeremy
Spot on, fellas
jmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #12
SOUN1
Rookie

Motorcycles: 05 ZX10R
Name:
I enjoy trails a lot, different mind set of riding..... it brings out the child in me..
SOUN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #13
AwakeNAlive
Veteran

AMA #: 2865228
Contributor +++++++++ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: a sea turtle
Name:
My guy bought a used Honda XR100R for me early on, and it was a great confidence builder.

I looked around the interwebs for a dirtbike camp and found the Dirtbike camp in Orland a few years ago, it was a blast.

What park do you recommend for all levels of riders closest to San Francisco? Where can we easily rent dirtbikes instead of buying one?

"A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words" --Positive Energy+

Last edited by AwakeNAlive; 07-16-2016 at 08:02 AM..
AwakeNAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #14
Norcalslowpoke
Veteran

Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi V7 Sport clone, Beta 520rs
Name:
I've never been, but read good things

http://garrahanoffroadtraining.com/
Old 07-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #15
AwakeNAlive
Veteran

AMA #: 2865228
Contributor +++++++++ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: a sea turtle
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalslowpoke View Post
I've never been, but read good things

http://garrahanoffroadtraining.com/
Thanks for posting the info up, much appreciated!

"A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words" --Positive Energy+
AwakeNAlive is offline   Reply With Quote