Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Crash Analysis

Notices

Old 02-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #31
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
I was turning from a stop, and I was rolling on the throttle.

I looked at the pavement today. No debris that I noticed, and I didn't see any tire marks. I saw a little long, narrow break in the pavement, that at worst I'd expect a little bobble on. There was also an oil line, like from a car that drips enough that at low speeds they run together. Don't know if it was there a week ago, and I didn't notice any traces of oil on the tire. I wouldn't have expected more than a bobble from that either, though there could have been more oil there before a week's worth of rains--or none at all, if it's new. And I realize oil can surprise you. It surprised me 35 years ago, in my 1st low side. This was my 3rd.

From my 1st post:
Quote:
It seems to me that my throttle and lean angle exceeded available grip, but I don't think I was asking that much of the tire.
At this point, I think that tire needs more warm up than I'm used to. Like I said I'm mostly on sport touring rubber that sticks well enough pretty much from the start. I have used tires that need more warm up, but haven't found out so abruptly in the past. Since this was yet another sport touring tire, my expectations were off.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:37 AM   #32
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
40 lbs and cold....Ernie's right: pressure sounds really high. Higher pressure means stiffer sidewall which isn't what's desired in cold temps...so, I'd say with the higher PSI, colder temp and side load of the tire from turning/ accelerating, loss of grip and down.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #33
Escape pod
Capable

Motorcycles: Dirt Street
Name: chuck
Last time I purchased and had mounted tires at a BMW dealer. They produced, had me read and sign a safety notice, if memory serves: The new tires offer reduced traction and need broken in with reduced lean angles and light braking for approximently 500miles

I kept it in mind for 100 miles.
Escape pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #34
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
mileage has nothing to do with breaking in a new tire. u really only need heat. even scrubbing a tire doesn't add that much grip. a brand new unscrubbed hot tire will grip a ton more than a cold one.

1/2mi is only enough distance to add any heat to a tire if u ride like an asshat, accelerate super hard and brake super hard. I doubt u did that. your tires were stone cold, ambient temps were low, and the road didnt offer much grip. u likely would have crashed using any tire new or old.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 03-01-2019 at 09:32 AM..
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #35
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
I had a new tire crash back in 09 or 10 that I blame on the new tire. BT016 IIRC, half a mile from putting it on, taking it easy, spun up the rear. Not something I'd ever crashed from before (and haven't since other than on track).
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #36
Aware
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape pod View Post
Last time I purchased and had mounted tires at a BMW dealer. They produced, had me read and sign a safety notice, if memory serves: The new tires offer reduced traction and need broken in with reduced lean angles and light braking for approximently 500miles

I kept it in mind for 100 miles.
500 miles? ROTFLMAO
Aware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #37
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
Crash maybe not any one factor but a multi factor combo.

41psi is a tad high for riding solo on a not big not heavy Bmw R12R. I would suggest something more in the 35psi front - 36psi rear range.

High tire pressures on a not big not heavy bike combined with cold/damp weather doesn't enable much tire heating, tire stays mostly cold.

Maybe you hit some invisible oil/antifreeze/diesel/sludge patch.

The tire itself looks usable. That scratch/gouge only skin deep.