BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Crash Analysis

Notices

Old 07-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #16
jaybocc2
o lento

AMA #3692962

Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
Damn that was a good ride!!! Did you won the race? I got lost when you begin to pass the slow pokers...
Damn that hurts. Pretty sure thats the race I almost highsided and rode a tankslapper all the way to 6 when i whacked the throttle open hearing berto pass me on the outside of 5.
AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors and Supporters!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
GP Suspension | Pirelli Race Tires | Clari Inc.
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #17
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
I changed nothing. Why U-tube? WHYYYY?
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:20 PM   #18
DirtyD
Lives for MotoX

Motorcycles: CBR1K, R3, KX250F, YZ250
Name:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. To answer a few questions:

It was a hot day, 4th session, tires hot off the warmers. And it was the second lap. I don't think the tire was too cold. Would I have still crashed taking that line on the 5th lap? Maybe. The bike was really hooked up all morning and I had dipped down into the 55's during the previous session. I was definitely feeling confident. 4th season on the CBR and it had only pushed the front tire a couple of times in 30 trackdays. I really expected my first crash on this bike to be from losing the rear.

My line was wide in an effort to throw down an outside pass. I've made plenty of outside passes in T3 before, but maybe before I had started inside and then drifted out to make the pass? I remember throwing the bike on it's side and just cracking the throttle in an effort to stay smooth and quick. I'm glad I had video because after the crash I couldn't remember exactly how wide I was. All that adrenaline has a way of wiping out your short term memory. My line was odd and not where I would normally want to be, but I really was caught by surprise. Crashed my Gixxer in almost exactly the same spot when I lost the rear and got high sided. That one was more of a cold tire deal. But it does go to show that I didn't respect that corner as much as I should. I do now.

The good news is that I had my 2019 YZ250 at the track the next weekend and was hitting an 80 foot jump that only a few riders could clear, so that cheered me up. I don't know how you "street only" guys do it. Motocross keeps me sane and in a good mood. And I can ride every weekend. At 7 different tracks. And if I crash it's not the end of my day, and the end of the motorcycle as I knew it. Crashing sucks. But crashing a street bike really sucks. That being said, I'll see you guys at the pre-AFM Sonoma Friday.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #19
clutchslip
Not as fast as I look.

AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Quote:
but maybe before I had started inside and then drifted out to make the pass?
This is what I saw. If you start far left, you change the angle of attack. It helps to angle differently than the shape of the curve. Most people don't do that and are slower. Holeshot seems able to pass on an outside line, too. The reason it works is because you change the angle on the off camber. You are heading more into the grade, rather than fighting the camber with the side of the tires. Safer and faster, imho, if you can swap to the left side for four. That takes some energy, though. All from a slow old guy, by the way.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #20
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Good post Scotland.

Dan, bad ass on the motocross...that's a young guy's sport! Getting beat up on the pavement is enough for me. I'm sticking to Standup Jetskiis for cross training. FWIW: 55's is flying at a trackday.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote