BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > 1Rider


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
Butch
poseur
 
Butch's Avatar
 
AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Jose, bottom of dirty 130
Motorcycles: Ď18 Alta EX006, Ď17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Target Fixation for Bicyclists making themselves Targets

Using a shiney thing to get cagers to look at them seems bad
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...r-for-him.html
__________________
Butch
Hodaka Ace 90. I've been riding these things too long. What can I say? How about that Combat Wombat?

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical
 
ctwo's Avatar
 
Respectful Contributor

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: auf der motobahn
Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
I face bicyclists daily with high intensity full on strobe headlights in the dark. I mean full on/off high intensity lighting at several hertz. Most dangerous. That needs to stop.

A half serious question is if I can bolt that onto my MC helmet?

Bicyclists already have a 6 foot snowflake zone around them so I don't care about the pool noodle. I worry more about mothers and their baby strollers, which have no such protection.
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
thepretender
Veteran
 
thepretender's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Mariposa Ca
Motorcycles: 2015 S1000R 2014 VFR800
Name: Doug
I give bicyclist the full 3 feet of space, I do however use lizard feet for measurement so it might seem a little close.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, chuck it all in and go for a ride!
thepretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Matty D
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SF
Motorcycles: '15 FJ-09
Name:
Lifelong cyclist here. Like others, I hate seeing those front-facing strobes on other cyclists, and I don't use them. I also have no idea why anyone would want to ride in the dark with their light going on and off like that. The most people can tell me is they are not concerned about seeing as much as they are about being seen.
__________________
"Amazing. That guy just put his foot in his mouth even though his head is up his ass."
Matty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
sckego
doesn't like crashing
 
sckego's Avatar
 
AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: are fun
Name: Kegan
The reason for strobing lights is battery life - since the light is operating at a reduced duty cycle, batteries will last several times as long compared to solid-on. And since on a bicycle the light is mainly to alert others of your presence, rather than illuminate the road, strobing still works fine.
__________________
Kegan -- '12 MTS1200ST -- '18 FX-S --'18 GROM 125 -- '20 FS 450 -- IBA #41999 -- AMA #3283468 -- AFM #895
My Ride Reports! -- BARF Terms of Service
sckego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
rcb78
Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: '20 F900XR '20 Vulcan S
Name: Mr B
More than battery life, the strobe is used so that their light doesn't blend into the sea of traffic lights. The issue is that most cyclists don't bother to check the aim of their lights and have no idea it's a problem. Each morning I commute by bicycle, I take 10 seconds to point my bike at the garage door and make sure it's not pointing too high. Since most of us remove the light to charge it before each use, you have to check the aim every single time.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
ThinkFast
Live Long
 
ThinkFast's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San RiffRaph
Motorcycles: n. (pl), a two-wheeled device used for transportation as well as racing and other fun stuff.
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Using a shiney thing to get cagers to look at them seems bad
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...r-for-him.html
Disagree entirely. First of all, a pool noodle isnít any shinier than anything else on a bicycle. Secondly, the first time I saw this my first thought was, ďThatís brilliant.Ē

Why? Because as a bicyclist and motorcyclist, one of the challenges we face in a shared road environment is making ourselves appear larger than we actually are so vehicles donít take unsafe liberties in trying to sneak by us in the same lane weíre in. Sometimes thereís room for that, sometimes there is not. Road racing taught me a lot about riding, including learning how to make myself appear larger on the track than I actually was by using lane position and riding line. As a defensive ploy this is something Iím guessing all racers learn how to do to some degree at least.

And it translates directly to street riding, where weíre so vulnerable on two wheels to multi-ton vehicles we share the road with. The pool noodle is brilliant because it creates the illusion of size, forcing others to give the cyclist the leeway they are legally entitled to, but that is often compromised by careless drivers.

(As for those of you complaining about the strobing headlight on bicycles, I take it none of you has or is in favor of Moto headlight modulators, right?)
__________________
-Tom
ThinkFast Racing
ex-AFM #280
ThinkFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical
 
ctwo's Avatar
 
Respectful Contributor

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: auf der motobahn
Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
I found the perfect pool noodle design for this purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowflake-poolnoodle.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	530667  
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
chickenfried
Super Noob
 

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Daly City
Motorcycles: 2017 CB500F
Name: Daniel
I always confused by the disdain some motorcyclists have for bicyclists. They should be kindred spirits as vulnerable users of the roads rather than enemies.
chickenfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #10
budman
General Menace
 
budman's Avatar
 
AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palo Alto, Ca.
Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
I think it is a good idea really.

However in the image the dude is several feet off the parked car.

He should just go two noodles and ride in the middle lane.

Won't work on a moto...
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
rcb78
Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: '20 F900XR '20 Vulcan S
Name: Mr B
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
However in the image the dude is several feet off the parked car.
One simple reason for that, idiots that open their doors without looking first to see if it's safe, something that's actually illegal in Ca but still happens all the time. You either give room for people to do this without warning, or risk a pretty serious head injury as you go OTB into the door or through the window.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #12
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical
 
ctwo's Avatar
 
Respectful Contributor

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: auf der motobahn
Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
Much safer to ride in front of a moving vehicle.

We have about a mile long DY sharrow. Sometimes it takes a while to get through, even on a MC, and then it usually isn't really necessary.
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #13
budman
General Menace
 
budman's Avatar
 
AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palo Alto, Ca.
Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
One simple reason for that, idiots that open their doors without looking first to see if it's safe, something that's actually illegal in Ca but still happens all the time. You either give room for people to do this without warning, or risk a pretty serious head injury as you go OTB into the door or through the window.
True... good point.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #14
DucatiHoney
 
DucatiHoney's Avatar
 
AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: 1994 M900 Ducati
Name: Heather
I can tell ya this after commuting by bicycle for a few years now. It's pretty much dog-eat-dog out there. Not only are you worried about cars crowding you but other cyclists. I don't "do the noodle" but I've seen it. It's effective. I don't blame anyone for doing whatever it takes to stay safe. Cyclists face the same hazards we do without the benefit of leathers, noise, good brakes, good traction, or a throttle.
__________________


9
s h e l t e r w e r k architecture.design
live::::work::::motorcycles
DucatiHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #15
295566
Numbers McGee
 
295566's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Danger Zone!!
Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkFast View Post
Disagree entirely. First of all, a pool noodle isnít any shinier than anything else on a bicycle. Secondly, the first time I saw this my first thought was, ďThatís brilliant.Ē

Why? Because as a bicyclist and motorcyclist, one of the challenges we face in a shared road environment is making ourselves appear larger than we actually are so vehicles donít take unsafe liberties in trying to sneak by us in the same lane weíre in. Sometimes thereís room for that, sometimes there is not. Road racing taught me a lot about riding, including learning how to make myself appear larger on the track than I actually was by using lane position and riding line. As a defensive ploy this is something Iím guessing all racers learn how to do to some degree at least.

And it translates directly to street riding, where weíre so vulnerable on two wheels to multi-ton vehicles we share the road with. The pool noodle is brilliant because it creates the illusion of size, forcing others to give the cyclist the leeway they are legally entitled to, but that is often compromised by careless drivers.

(As for those of you complaining about the strobing headlight on bicycles, I take it none of you has or is in favor of Moto headlight modulators, right?)
As a moto rider, I think it's our responsibility to know where we fit in traffic, and be able to avoid cars. This is because we are faster and more nimble than most cars. Not so much the case with bicycles. They are the ones slower than traffic, so being seen is a much larger issue for them.

Also, headlight modulators are not legal at nighttime.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.