Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: Ď18 Alta EX006, Ď17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Target Fixation for Bicyclists making themselves Targets

Using a shiney thing to get cagers to look at them seems bad
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...r-for-him.html

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
I face bicyclists daily with high intensity full on strobe headlights in the dark. I mean full on/off high intensity lighting at several hertz. Most dangerous. That needs to stop.

A half serious question is if I can bolt that onto my MC helmet?

Bicyclists already have a 6 foot snowflake zone around them so I don't care about the pool noodle. I worry more about mothers and their baby strollers, which have no such protection.
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
thepretender
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 S1000R 2014 VFR800
Name: Doug
I give bicyclist the full 3 feet of space, I do however use lizard feet for measurement so it might seem a little close.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Matty D
Rookie

Motorcycles: '15 FJ-09
Name:
Lifelong cyclist here. Like others, I hate seeing those front-facing strobes on other cyclists, and I don't use them. I also have no idea why anyone would want to ride in the dark with their light going on and off like that. The most people can tell me is they are not concerned about seeing as much as they are about being seen.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
sckego
doesn't like crashing

AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

Motorcycles: are fun
Name: Kegan
The reason for strobing lights is battery life - since the light is operating at a reduced duty cycle, batteries will last several times as long compared to solid-on. And since on a bicycle the light is mainly to alert others of your presence, rather than illuminate the road, strobing still works fine.
Kegan -- '12 MTS1200ST -- '18 FX-S --'18 GROM 125 -- '20 FS 450 -- IBA #41999 -- AMA #3283468 -- AFM #895
My Ride Reports! -- BARF Terms of Service
sckego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
rcb78
Rookie

Motorcycles: '20 F900XR '20 Vulcan S
Name: Mr B
More than battery life, the strobe is used so that their light doesn't blend into the sea of traffic lights. The issue is that most cyclists don't bother to check the aim of their lights and have no idea it's a problem. Each morning I commute by bicycle, I take 10 seconds to point my bike at the garage door and make sure it's not pointing too high. Since most of us remove the light to charge it before each use, you have to check the aim every single time.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
ThinkFast
Live Long

Motorcycles: n. (pl), a two-wheeled device used for transportation as well as racing and other fun stuff.
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Using a shiney thing to get cagers to look at them seems bad
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...r-for-him.html
Disagree entirely. First of all, a pool noodle isnít any shinier than anything else on a bicycle. Secondly, the first time I saw this my first thought was, ďThatís brilliant.Ē

Why? Because as a bicyclist and motorcyclist, one of the challenges we face in a shared road environment is making ourselves appear larger than we actually are so vehicles donít take unsafe liberties in trying to sneak by us in the same lane weíre in. Sometimes thereís room for that, sometimes there is not. Road racing taught me a lot about riding, including learning how to make myself appear larger on the track than I actually was by using lane position and riding line. As a defensive ploy this is something Iím guessing all racers learn how to do to some degree at least.

And it translates directly to street riding, where weíre so vulnerable on two wheels to multi-ton vehicles we share the road with. The pool noodle is brilliant because it creates the illusion of size, forcing others to give the cyclist the leeway they are legally entitled to, but that is often compromised by careless drivers.

(As for those of you complaining about the strobing headlight on bicycles, I take it none of you has or is in favor of Moto headlight modulators, right?)
ex-AFM #280
ThinkFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

I found the perfect pool noodle design for this purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowflake-poolnoodle.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	530667  
Old 03-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
chickenfried
Super Noob

Motorcycles: 2017 CB500F
Name: Daniel
I always confused by the disdain some motorcyclists have for bicyclists. They should be kindred spirits as vulnerable users of the roads rather than enemies.
chickenfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #10
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
I think it is a good idea really.

However in the image the dude is several feet off the parked car.

He should just go two noodles and ride in the middle lane.

Won't work on a moto...
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
rcb78
Rookie

Motorcycles: '20 F900XR '20 Vulcan S
Name: Mr B
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
However in the image the dude is several feet off the parked car.
One simple reason for that, idiots that open their doors without looking first to see if it's safe, something that's actually illegal in Ca but still happens all the time. You either give room for people to do this without warning, or risk a pretty serious head injury as you go OTB into the door or through the window.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #12
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Much safer to ride in front of a moving vehicle.

We have about a mile long DY sharrow. Sometimes it takes a while to get through, even on a MC, and then it usually isn't really necessary.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #13
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
One simple reason for that, idiots that open their doors without looking first to see if it's safe, something that's actually illegal in Ca but still happens all the time. You either give room for people to do this without warning, or risk a pretty serious head injury as you go OTB into the door or through the window.
True... good point.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #14
DucatiHoney

AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 1994 M900 Ducati
Name: Heather
I can tell ya this after commuting by bicycle for a few years now. It's pretty much dog-eat-dog out there. Not only are you worried about cars crowding you but other cyclists. I don't "do the noodle" but I've seen it. It's effective. I don't blame anyone for doing whatever it takes to stay safe. Cyclists face the same hazards we do without the benefit of leathers, noise, good brakes, good traction, or a throttle.

s h e l t e r w e r k architecture.design
live::::work::::motorcycles
DucatiHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #15
Numbers McGee

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkFast View Post
Disagree entirely. First of all, a pool noodle isnít any shinier than anything else on a bicycle. Secondly, the first time I saw this my first thought was, ďThatís brilliant.Ē

Why? Because as a bicyclist and motorcyclist, one of the challenges we face in a shared road environment is making ourselves appear larger than we actually are so vehicles donít take unsafe liberties in trying to sneak by us in the same lane weíre in. Sometimes thereís room for that, sometimes there is not. Road racing taught me a lot about riding, including learning how to make myself appear larger on the track than I actually was by using lane position and riding line. As a defensive ploy this is something Iím guessing all racers learn how to do to some degree at least.

And it translates directly to street riding, where weíre so vulnerable on two wheels to multi-ton vehicles we share the road with. The pool noodle is brilliant because it creates the illusion of size, forcing others to give the cyclist the leeway they are legally entitled to, but that is often compromised by careless drivers.

(As for those of you complaining about the strobing headlight on bicycles, I take it none of you has or is in favor of Moto headlight modulators, right?)
As a moto rider, I think it's our responsibility to know where we fit in traffic, and be able to avoid cars. This is because we are faster and more nimble than most cars. Not so much the case with bicycles. They are the ones slower than traffic, so being seen is a much larger issue for them.

Also, headlight modulators are not legal at nighttime.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote