BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Covid - 19, What We Know

Notices

Old 04-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Sweden took a relatively unique approach to Covid and I feared the worst...

but, fingers crossed, it appears my fears were "somewhat" unwarranted.

Mind you they did have 3 times the number of deaths per million compared to Denmark next door that took the cautious approach.

189 or so deaths per million vs 64 per million in Denmark, 160 per million in the US thus far.

Here in Sonoma County we're at 4 deaths per million thus far.

Obviously all those numbers will grow but will Sweden's slow to the same rates as others now?

Obviously their economy has benefited as far more business are as "normal" but at a cost.

The question of course is was it worth it in the long run.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/no-l...-in-weeks.html

Last edited by GAJ; 04-25-2020 at 12:10 PM..
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Too early to answer that question but I suspect when looking back the Swedes will say no
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
GAJ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
Too early to answer that question but I suspect when looking back the Swedes will say no
Death rate per million, (which I had incorrect initially), not that much higher thus far to the US.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
Didn't the WHO just issue something today or yesterday, that said something to the effect that there is no scientific evidence for immunity, once you have had it? I think they cited Korea and China as examples where some small percentage of folks that had had it, have it again.
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #5
GAJ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
Didn't the WHO just issue something today or yesterday, that said something to the effect that there is no scientific evidence for immunity, once you have had it? I think they cited Korea and China as examples where some small percentage of folks that had had it, have it again.
Yes, that is still up in the air as the article mentions but 189 deaths per million thus far in Sweden vs 160 per million here so time will tell I guess.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJ View Post

Mind you they did have 3 times the number of deaths per million compared to Denmark next door that took the cautious approach.

189 or so deaths per million vs 64 per million in Denmark, 160 per million in the US thus far.

Obviously all those numbers will grow but will Sweden's slow to the same rates as others now?

Obviously their economy has benefited as far more business are as "normal" but at a cost.

I don't know where I read the 420 figure, I must be fucking tripping.

Their death rate (per 1point3acres.com) is 211/Million.

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.

Stupid isn't a birthright, it's a state of mind. If somebody is Stupid, it's because they chose to be Stupid.

Last edited by Climber; 04-25-2020 at 01:19 PM..
Climber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #7
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Really interesting.

It is probably something Georgia will be like and other States that open early can look to. I mean it makes sense given their numbers that herd immunity may come easier than thought, but at a bigger price.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:

Is this obvious? Or was there a severe drop in business in most sectors due to the virus, and public fears of the virus, regardless of a lack of SIP? Just posing the question. I haven't read or looked up any information about this.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
Lonster
GaMMa RaNGeR

AMA #: 305491
Budman's errand boy
Barf Brick and smoking Contributor

Motorcycles: RG500 Gamma, 2020 KTM 890 Duke R, Lucky Strike 750, RD400, 525EXC-G SM
Name: Lonster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
In the article, they misstate Sweden's population as 5 Million when it is actually 10 million.

If their population was double what they thought, wouldn't that cut the deaths per million in half? You increased it.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”
— Hunter S. Thompson
Lonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #10
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonster View Post
If their population was double what they thought, wouldn't that cut the deaths per million in half? You increased it.
Right now https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries puts it at 217 per million. The US is at 163 per million. Denmark is 72 and California, for reference, is 42.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "

Last edited by bojangle; 04-25-2020 at 01:13 PM..
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #11
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonster View Post
Idkw I saw the 420 figure. I must have been tripping.

Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.

Stupid isn't a birthright, it's a state of mind. If somebody is Stupid, it's because they chose to be Stupid.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:43 PM   #12
GAJ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
Is this obvious? Or was there a severe drop in business in most sectors due to the virus, and public fears of the virus, regardless of a lack of SIP? Just posing the question. I haven't read or looked up any information about this.
Death rate is astonishingly below that of the UK for example.

But they do have differences highlighted in the first link that made it a "better" gamble for them than perhaps others.

First rate medical care and stockpiles being among them.

"Sweden has left its schools, gyms, cafes, bars and restaurants open throughout the spread of the pandemic. "

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ving-effective

"What the Swedish experiment demonstrates, is that there’s a way to navigate these unprecedented public health challenges without recklessly imposing police state policies and without doing irreparable harm to the economy. And, yes, the results of this experiment are not yet known, but what we do know is that most nations cannot simply print-up trillions of dollars to counter the knock-on effects of bringing the economy to a screeching halt. These countries must dip into their reserves or take out loans from the IMF in order to recover from the lack of production and activity. That means they’re going to face years of slow growth and high unemployment to dig out from the mess their leaders created for them."

https://www.globalresearch.ca/sweden...t-open/5710128
Old 04-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #13
GAJ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
I don't know where I read the 420 figure, I must be fucking tripping.

Thanks, I was just doing math based on numbers I found on the web; that's a better source.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #14
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Quote:
Thanks, I was just doing math based on numbers I found on the web; that's a better source.
There are a ton of sources.

I'm going to be switching my web-page tool over to pulling down the John Hopkins data which is a bit more tedious to retrieve and parse since it's by county. I'm using the NYTimes data, so far but the numbers only update once a day and seem to be lagging the JH data.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #15
mlm
Contrarian

AMA#: 874813
Contributor ++++++ BB

Motorcycles: Yes
Name: OG
Was discussing this with a FB friend a few days ago. Sweden's health care system combined with low population density are key factors. Time will tell how successful it ends up being.
mlm is offline   Reply With Quote