Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #6586
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
I wonder how the wedding couple feel about this...

A Maine wedding is linked to the deaths of 7 people who didn't attend

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.

Stupid isn't a birthright, it's a state of mind. If somebody is Stupid, it's because they chose to be Stupid.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #6587
brichter
Spun out freakshow

AMA #: 1108554
Contributor ++++++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Fast & Dirty!
Name: ID Thief!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
I wonder how the wedding couple feel about this...

A Maine wedding is linked to the deaths of 7 people who didn't attend
I imagine they feel pretty bad.

I had to laugh at this sentence in that story:
ď The wedding held in Millinocket on August 7 had about 65 guests, in violation of the state's 50-person cap for indoor events, Maine CDC said.Ē

Iím sure everything wouldíve been fine if those extra 15 people didnít come.

Originally posted by Cruisingram
You know, in Alaska, you don't lose your woman, you lose your turn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
it doesn't matter whose fault it was when you're lying in the graveyard.
brichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #6588
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Good on them for expelling students the knowingly still went to school with the virus.

.. article says 2022... I kind of believe it. Holy shit...

My hair will be so long by then.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #6589
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Contributor

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Good on them for expelling students the knowingly still went to school with the virus.

.. article says 2022... I kind of believe it. Holy shit...

My hair will be so long by then.
I am so excited. I have a haircut appointment tomorrow at 8:30pm. First haircut this year- I can almost make a ponytail out of it for the first time since I was 18.
2017 Harley FXDB Dyna Street Bob (//SVART//)
2000 Suzuki DR650 (Dr. Bike)
2004 Yamaha FJR1300AC (The Pensive Parrot)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || FCC: N0CHZ
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #6590
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++++++ 2%

Motorcycles: M900
Name: Mateusz
Dr Slo any thoughts on this?

https://zenodo.org/record/4028830#.X2JF7z-Smbj

It's filled with speculation but I don't really understand a whole lot of it.

EDIT: don't waste your time it's garbage

Here is the wonderful Dr with his friends
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yan.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	537342  
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 09-16-2020 at 09:29 AM..
Yakoo752 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #6591
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor+++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++ +++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
Oy
PETS BEING ASSHOLES
Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoyf View Post
DMV test is not there to teach or prove you can ride the bike, it is there to prove that you can control the bike.
HOHO
Melissa"everyone does have issues, it is what makes us all so very interesting. Psychoanalysis however could be left to the professionals."
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #6592
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

I love that twitter is the place for scientist to discuss stuff

https://twitter.com/K_G_Andersen/sta...37079478919168

Kristian G. Andersen, PhD. Department of Immunology and Microbiology Scripps Research
Cygnus 12.02.10
Old 09-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #6593
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

I could nerd out on twitter all day long.

This preprint came out though. It's about sewage testing for covid right here in the Bay Area

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....13.20193805v1

metatranscriptomic sequencing of wastewater can be used to profile the viral genetic diversity across infected communities.

Observed wastewater variants were more similar to local California patient-derived genotypes than they were to those from other regions within the US or globally. Additional variants detected in wastewater have only been identified in genomes from patients sampled outside of CA, indicating that wastewater sequencing can provide evidence for recent introductions of viral lineages before they are detected by local clinical sequencing. These results demonstrate that epidemiological surveillance through wastewater sequencing can aid in tracking exact viral strains in an epidemic context. Theoretically you could do wastewater testing to see how large of an outbreak exist in a municipality.

and then I stumbled on this. Trying to figure out what I am looking at

https://nextstrain.org/groups/blab/sars-like-cov
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	537344  
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 09-16-2020 at 10:31 AM..
Old 09-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #6594
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

It's variants of a core genome.

Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.

Stupid isn't a birthright, it's a state of mind. If somebody is Stupid, it's because they chose to be Stupid.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #6595
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

I get that...

So it appears there are 2 strains in the US, a California and an Illinois one, assuming I'm deciphering their titling correctly
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 09-16-2020 at 10:11 AM..
Old 09-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #6596
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

• The American Academy of Pediatrics reported that pediatric COVID-19 cases have increased 15% in the past two weeks
  • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued results of a study of deaths among persons under 21 years of age. Significant findings from this study:
  • Symptoms are generally milder among children than adults
  • Hispanic, Black, Asian American and Alaskan Native children are over-represented in COVID-19 deaths among children (75% of these deaths; only 41% of the population)
  • Deaths were more prevalent among males than females (note: this is consistent with the experience for adults)
  • 3/4 of pediatric decedents had at least one underlying health condition; 45% had two or more
  • A higher percentage of children than adults that died with coronavirus died outside the hospital - this has implications for post-hospitalization monitoring of children
  • This morning the Big Ten conference announced plans to resume its football schedule in late-October. What is newsworthy about this announcement (and, qualifies it for consideration here) are the protocols being established:
  • All athletes are to be tested daily, using the rapid antigen testing capabilities recently introduced to the market
  • Any athlete testing positive will then be required to take a PCR test
  • Anyone testing positive will undergo comprehensive cardiac screening, including labs and biomarkers, ECG, echocardiogram and cardiac MRI; Clearance from a cardiologist will be required before being allowed to return to practice or play
  • The earliest an athlete can turn to practice will be 21 days after a positive diagnosis
  • Highlights
  • We are beginning to observe the impact of the Labor Day holiday on cases and reported deaths; we just cannot determine yet if this impact is the result of holiday-induced delays in reporting or, if we are beginning to experience an uptick in cases due to the holiday (or, school re-opening)
  • Buttressing the idea that it is more a reporting issue than an infection spike, the test-positive rate remains low by recent experience; we have yet to observe a return to the high test-positive rates experienced during either the March/April or June/July infection surges
  • For the first time in seven weeks, new cases increased on a week-over-week basis, by 2.7%. New cases reported on Labor Day and the following day, however, were remarkably low compared to recent experience. To the degree that case reporting was delayed due to the holiday, it would have over-stated new cases for the most recent week and under-stated those for the prior week
  • Reinforcing this perspective, new cases yesterday were lower than for any Tuesday since June 23 - except last Tuesday
  • Appreciation of where the virus is currently hitting the hardest can be seen in the state-by-state maps of new infection rates and of the time since this rate peaked in each state:
  • North and South Dakota, followed by Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Wisconsin report the highest rate of new infections per capita over the past 7 days
  • Nine states, mostly in the Heartland and Upper Midwest, have experienced their highest rate of new infections in September; conversely, fifteen states, mostly in the Northeast plus Illinois and Michigan, experienced their peak rate prior to June
  • Fourteen states are within 25% of their highest infection rate; ten are at 25% or less of their peak rate
  • Inpatient and ICU census of COVID-19 patients each increased slightly yesterday. These remain 40-50% lower than peak levels posted in June
  • ER visits for COVID-19, influenza, pneumonia and shortness of breath continue to decline as a % of total ER visits
Cygnus 12.02.10
Old 09-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #6597
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakoo752 View Post
I get that...

So it appears there are 2 strains in the US, a California and an Illinois one, assuming I'm deciphering their titling correctly
I recall hearing, on more than one occasion, that the first strain to hit our shores wasn't the most prevalent, that another strain that was more contagious had come from Europe (IIRC, via Paris) and had massively over-infected beyond the initial strain.

I can't help to have a passing thought about that Chinese woman who knew she was infected but ran to Paris....long shot, but might be related.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #6598
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

That what it "looks" like to me.

The US CA strain is solo and the other 6 are variants of 1.

Japan
Wuhan
Hubei
Sweden
USA IL
Nepal

It's interesting that there is a unique variant associated with Sweden, maybe it too is less "deadly"

This is neat... There are also 4,500 unique genomes identified for cov19
https://www.gisaid.org/epiflu-applic...-epidemiology/
Cygnus 12.02.10
Old 09-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #6599
Snaggy
Veteran

Motorcycles: GSXR's
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakoo752 View Post
I truly don't believe there is a problem with reporting antigen tests. It's a mandatory reportable disease, and the reporting system has worked throughout the epidemic, and for decades before, for the few dozen reportable disease that the states and federal government lists.

What did happen over the last few weeks, even starting before the little spike we had, is that people aren't coming in for testing. We tested well over 100 people a day, and turned many away, at our main site starting in late March. Over the last 6 weeks or so, dramatically fewer cars have lined up, to the point we're struggling financially again, as a department, and as a group.

Another thing. Early in the epidemic, our positive rates were as low as 5-10 percent much of the time, only reaching high teens occasionally. Two and three weeks ago, all our sites combined tested over 1000 people a week, for an astounding 28% positive rate. And many of our tests are just pre-ops, patients presumably asymptomatic, and getting a test before elective surgery.

I think people are resigned. They don't come in just for reassurance as much. They know there's nothing to be done unless the symptoms are are pretty bad. Seniors and high risk patients are doing a pretty good job protecting themselves, and the infected are younger and healthier, and not panicking as much.

But we're open for business, little waiting. As long as the air outside is safe to breath and the temp in the tents is less than 90 degrees.
Snaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #6600
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

Super interesting regarding pre op testing.
thanks!!!
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 09-16-2020 at 05:09 PM..