Old 07-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #16
nakedape
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Multistrada S
Name: Doug
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
I don't want to pay a subscription or have to charge anything. When I get to my motel room at the end of the day, I have enough sh*t to charge already so no wifi/BT systems.
Dainese system is one time cost only. They give you an access code for software, you take it out of shipping mode, and that's it. I haven't been using it so I plugged it in and there was the first update for 2020.

GPS makes sure you're actually rolling at speed before the system arms itself. With the hit-air system (flame suit on) you could tip off the bike and roll away not too far and it would deploy. Conversely (flame suit off?) the hit air can be enabled easily after a deployment with fresh cartridges. The Dainese needs new air cells and a factory refresh.

Each system has its merits. I like that mine turns on when it detects the bike running and turns off when it stops. Even as a daily commuter the battery lasts forever.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #17
S21FOLGORE
Veteran

Motorcycles: 05 Ducati Monster S4R, 85 Kawasaki 750turbo
Name:
The story most people in US don't know...

Hit-Air airbag vest was invented by a Japanese guy Kenji Takeuchi, back in the mid 90s. (1995).
It was pretty much his personal project (in other word, it wasn't his job, it wasn't related to his business), and he nearly bankrupted while developing the vest.
He had totally different kind of business (not motorcycle related). He did this Airbag vest project purely for saving motorcycle rider's life.
A lot of time, work, and money went into the development.
When he finally made the vest that was functional enough to be sold to the public, H*n&a offered him big money, to make a contract with them, so that they can sell Air-Bag vest as "H*n&a customer exclusive item".
The amount of money that was offered was big enough to cover all the debts and there would still be enough change left.
Kenji Takeuchi turned this offer down. He did not like the idea (of the Air-Bag Vest being used as some sort of marketing item. It would make his invention (Air-Bag vest) only available to the riders who purchase brand new H*n&a motorcycles at the selected dealership.)

Instead, he started his own company(while still having the huge debuts from Air-bag vest development), "Mugen Denko", which is the company that makes and sells Hit-Air vest.

Here’s the video of the story of this man.
(Sorry, it’s Japanese only video, there’s no subtitles.)

youtu.be/dAWVQc3QAqY

There’s a youtube video made by pretty well known motovlogger who’s whining about the cost of airbag vest.
Saying it's such a simple system that they shouldn't cost that much, blah blah, blah.
Don’t listen to that guy. He doesn’t even know simple stuff such as how to insert foam ear plugs, yet, making the “how to insert foam ear plug” video and preaching people.

The CO2 & Tether based air-bag system may seem to be simple and easy to produce, but it isn't.
The inventor of this system almost lost everything he had in order to develop this air-bag system.
And, he rejected the instant big, big money offer made by the world biggest motorcycle manufacturer, because he wanted this system openly available to the public.
S21FOLGORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #18
Smudgemo

Motorcycles: Triumph
Name: Ryan
My neighbor and I got Helite Turtles in hi-viz on sale in Jan '19. Neither of us has gone down to report on the outcome, but we were both parents commuting and figured it was a worthwhile investment. Instructions say you can take the back armor from your jacket, but I left it in because I don't always use it.

Admittedly, when I run down to get groceries or take my daughters out for a mellow ride in the hills, I don't bother with it. But I'm eyeing up some sport-touring bikes from the '90s with dreams of riding up to Vancouver with my older daughter before she's off to college in a couple of years. I'll definitely buy a second vest for her unless my neighbor is willing to lend his.

I've crashed on my mountain bike enough times to know what hurts, and in my mind it's a worthwhile investment. I also don't care what I look like as long as I'm seen..
Smudgemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #19
dittoalex
Too much lean angle...

Motorcycles: Zero SR, Mana GT
Name: Alexandru
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster View Post
The next step would be air bag pants, or even air bag gloves, and how about an air bag helmet with a drop down neck protector. I’m actually not joking here. Why stop at protecting just the chest/back area? If I fly off a bike and I’m headed for the pavement I’d like to look like the Michelin man
The Gold Wing has an airbag. An accident will see you bounce off to the moon.

Last edited by dittoalex; 07-11-2020 at 11:25 AM..
dittoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #20
greenmonster
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW R1200RT
Name: Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittoalex View Post
The Gold Wing has an airbag. An accident will see you bounce off to the moon.

There! that little space suited guy on the right! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout
greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #21
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Yeah, exactly like an air bag vest.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #22
rcb78
Rookie

Motorcycles: '20 F900XR '20 Vulcan S
Name: Mr B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody146 View Post
the new klim vest is pretty affordable at 399$ for the vest and a 12$ a month, OR 120$ a year subscription to the deployment company. or can outright buy the subscription for 399$

https://www.klim.com/Ai-1-Airbag-Vest-3046-000

they have them at sjbmw
I literally just picked up one of these today. I actually like the way the pricing is structured with a subscription basis (you can buy outright too). I like that the vest is only $400 so if I kill it, it's just $400. If you choose the subscription model then you get a new 'brain' every three years along with any hardware updates that go with it, though you will receive constant wifi algorithm updates as they become available regardless of the subscription vs purchase option. The subscription just seems a little more future proof in terms of hardware updates and never worrying about battery lifespan vs charge cycles.
Hopefully I never need it, but I'm glad I finally made a choice and got something.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #23
greenmonster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
I literally just picked up one of these today. I actually like the way the pricing is structured with a subscription basis (you can buy outright too). I like that the vest is only $400 so if I kill it, it's just $400. If you choose the subscription model then you get a new 'brain' every three years along with any hardware updates that go with it, though you will receive constant wifi algorithm updates as they become available regardless of the subscription vs purchase option. The subscription just seems a little more future proof in terms of hardware updates and never worrying about battery lifespan vs charge cycles.
Hopefully I never need it, but I'm glad I finally made a choice and got something.
I'd be interested to hear how you like your new vest. Maybe post a review in a week or two?
As far as pricing goes the Hit Air vest mentioned earlier in this post is on Amazon for $519. The Klim will cost the same amount a year from now factoring in the subscription cost. It appears that the Hit Vest has more coverage than the Klim too but as you mentioned, you got something. The rest of us are depending on built in armor in our jackets which doesn't compare to the protection you're getting with your new air bag vest.
What I like about the Klim is that it's worn UNDER your jacket instead of over it like the Hit Air
Old 07-11-2020, 08:16 PM   #24
gixxerjeff
Dogs best friend

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
A lot of good information here.

You must be fast because I was hauling ass when I passed you.

Rich Cox
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #25
rcb78
Rookie

Motorcycles: '20 F900XR '20 Vulcan S
Name: Mr B
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster View Post
I'd be interested to hear how you like your new vest. Maybe post a review in a week or two?
As far as pricing goes the Hit Air vest mentioned earlier in this post is on Amazon for $519. The Klim will cost the same amount a year from now factoring in the subscription cost. It appears that the Hit Vest has more coverage than the Klim too but as you mentioned, you got something. The rest of us are depending on built in armor in our jackets which doesn't compare to the protection you're getting with your new air bag vest.
What I like about the Klim is that it's worn UNDER your jacket instead of over it like the Hit Air
Under the vest was a deciding factor for me. I wear the same jacket with various liners all throughout the year and from summer to winter the jacket will puff up with all the liners installed. For the airbag to fit properly on the outside with all the liners installed in the winter, I think it would end up fitting a little sloppy in the summer when it's just the jacket itself since they don't seem to be able to cinch up the same way a jacket can with all the different velcro and snap closures. Additionally, I like that if I were to go down that my jacket will be sacrificial and help protect the vest by prolonging the time it stays inflated vs rashing thru it if it were on the outside.

Honestly, I hope I CAN'T provide a review of how it works,, ever. At best I hope can let people know what it feels like to live with it for some time and if it's rough on the hottest days.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:19 PM   #26
nakedape
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Multistrada S
Name: Doug
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post

Honestly, I hope I CAN'T provide a review of how it works,, ever. At best I hope can let people know what it feels like to live with it for some time and if it's rough on the hottest days.
It's rough on the warm days, and I have full mesh gear. There's no way around it, just like there's no way around going down if you keep riding.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:17 AM   #27
dittoalex
Too much lean angle...

Motorcycles: Zero SR, Mana GT
Name: Alexandru
The external Helite Turtle vest blocked air flow and was much more uncomfortable in warm weather than the Helite jacket, it's the main reason I got the jacket.
dittoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:24 AM   #28
89fj
late braking

Contributor +

Motorcycles: S1000RR R1250GS
Name: John
friend of mine went down (after passing me, bastard!) during a track day last year. he was wearing a Helite and it saved his ass from another broken collar bone
89fj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:48 PM   #29
greenmonster
Veteran

Those of you who know who Max Wrist is on YouTube probably know he was in a bad crash Saturday, ended up with a broken left leg but was wearing his Helite air vest which he says ( from his hospital bed live stream) saved him from any injuries aside from the leg. The reason I bring this up is if you’ve seen this guy’s vids and the crazy stuff he does, if he says his air bag vest saved him I don’t know a stronger argument to get one.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #30
wakked1
Wookie

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: ADV 1190R, TE610/SM, Speed Triple R, ...
Name:
I have a Hit-Air vest I'm about to sell actually, its the high viz mesh. Never deployed, used to wear it for commuting but don't commute anymore. Should have a spare CO2 for it as well somewhere. PM me if interested.