BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Notices

Old 09-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #16
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: CB125T, EX250, Ninja250R race bike, CBR250R(MC19), CBR250RR(MC22), VF500F, CBR600RR
Name: Danno
To fix:

1. I’ve got spare rocker I’ll send you. Can compare to one you have and see that tab is broken off on yours.

2. Get about 10-15ft of soft nylon rope.

3. Rotate piston past BDC on intake stroke, then halfway up compression stroke. You can confirm compression stroke by seeing both exhaust and intake cam-lobes aimed upwards away from valves.

4. Feed in through spark-plug hole as much soft nylon rope as you can, 10-15ft of rope

5. Rotate engine towards TDC of compression stroke to cram rope up against valve heads. This holds valve in place when you push down on valve-retainer to re-install keepers. Valve won’t drop into cylinder and make re-installing keepers impossible.

Toyota and Volvo have these nifty tools to push on valve buckets to allow easy removal of shims for clearance adjustments. Don’t have to remove cams to adjust shims!

I’ll make forked version of this this tool to press on valve-retainers of EX250. Then send it to you after I finish replacing my valve-stem seals without removing having to remove engine or head.

6. Use special-tool to press down on valve-retainer enough to free keepers

7. Re-install keepers around grooves in valve-stem end

8. Slowly release valve-retainer by gently withdrawing special-tool, remove rope

9. Install new unbroken rocker arm

10. Adjust valve-clearance, might as well check all others

That’s it!!! Stuck valve and broken rocker fixed!!

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 09-06-2020 at 12:15 PM..
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:40 AM   #17
musiclucho
Rookie

Motorcycles: Yamaha FZ07, Kawasaki Ninja EX250
Name: LG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Would it be too much to assume that the WD-40 can is your makeshift gas tank? Wassat?
Is actually my DIY auxiliary gas tank. I thought it was gonna be controversial as it seems I am putting WD-40 in the engine, but I prepared and cleaned the can previously. But trust me on this one, the bike was getting the cleanest gas possible from that WD-40 can.
musiclucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:42 AM   #18
musiclucho
Rookie

Motorcycles: Yamaha FZ07, Kawasaki Ninja EX250
Name: LG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
To fix:

1. Iíve got spare rocker Iíll send you. Can compare to one you have and see that tab is broken off on yours.

2. Get about 10-15ft of soft nylon rope.

3. Rotate piston past BDC on intake stroke, then halfway up compression stroke. You can confirm compression stroke by seeing both exhaust and intake cam-lobes aimed upwards away from valves.

4. Feed in through spark-plug hole as much soft nylon rope as you can, 10-15ft of rope

5. Rotate engine towards TDC of compression stroke to cram rope up against valve heads. This holds valve in place when you push down on valve-retainer to re-install keepers. Valve wonít drop into cylinder and make re-installing keepers impossible.

Toyota and Volvo have these nifty tools to push on valve buckets to allow easy removal of shims for clearance adjustments. Donít have to remove cams to adjust shims!

Iíll make forked version of this this tool to press on valve-retainers of EX250. Then send it to you after I finish replacing my valve-stem seals without removing having to remove engine or head.

6. Use special-tool to press down on valve-retainer enough to free keepers

7. Re-install keepers around grooves in valve-stem end

8. Slowly release valve-retainer by gently withdrawing special-tool, remove rope

9. Install new unbroken rocker arm

10. Adjust valve-clearance, might as well check all others

Thatís it!!! Stuck valve and broken rocker fixed!!
You are the man Danno!!! Thanks for the advice and I will stay in contact with you.
musiclucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #19
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
On my old Audi the shop installed a compressed air hose into the spark plug thread. That way the air pressure would keep the valves closed when they replaced the seals.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote