Old 07-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #1
Sportbiker
Slow

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + 2%

Motorcycles: Dirt, Street
Name:
Dirt bike: Valve check / adjustment

Any place you recommend within the Bayarea that can do a quality job of valve check / adjustment on a Husky FE450?

I'm more concerned about someone doing the job right that saving a few pennies..

Please recommend a shop only if you have gotten your dirtbike valve adjusted at the place you are going to recommend..
Sportbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
Dogfeathers
Rookie

Motorcycles: 1990 BMW R100GS, 1976 Triumph 750 Tiger, 1998 Suzuki DR350SE, 1971 Ducati RT 450, 1997 BMW F650
Name:
My guess for no responses in two weeks would be that dirt riders tend to do 99% of their bike maintenance themselves which will include valve check and adjustments. It is not rocket science. If dirt riders had their -routine- maintenance done at a dealer, bankruptcy would soon follow. Get out the manual, watch a few utube videos, get a friend to walk you through it. Time to learn about your motorcycle innards!
Old 08-06-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
Ahab
Lucky

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 690SMC, CRF250X, XR100
Name: Arnt
Peninsula Motorsports has been good to me, and the bike has been running fine since they did a valve check for me
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XR-400 (plated), KTM 525 (Plated), KTM 990 Adventure, Husky TE300, R1150RT
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfeathers View Post
My guess for no responses in two weeks would be that dirt riders tend to do 99% of their bike maintenance themselves which will include valve check and adjustments. It is not rocket science. If dirt riders had their -routine- maintenance done at a dealer, bankruptcy would soon follow. Get out the manual, watch a few utube videos, get a friend to walk you through it. Time to learn about your motorcycle innards!
Plus 1.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
thedub
Octane Socks

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, Tiger 800, KTM 500, KTM 350
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfeathers View Post
Right. It's just so painfully easy. Seat and tank come off in 2 minutes then you are staring at the valve cover of a single cylinder.
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
Sportbiker
Slow

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + 2%

Motorcycles: Dirt, Street
Name:
Thanks for all the responses. I do most maintenance on all my bikes.

To wrap up, I reached out to Mach1 motorsports in Vallejo. They booked an appointment a few days out. Dropped off my bike. Got it back the next day. 3 out of 4 valves were slightly out of spec which they adjusted. The pre & post adjustment clearances were noted on the work order.

The cost was cheaper than I expected (and quoted by them) based on the fact that they had to do an adjustment, not just check. I was running a few minutes past their closing time (traffic) and he was kind enough to wait for me.

I haven't ridden the bike yet to notice any difference (or any issues).

All in all, good experience for a reasonable price at Mach1 motorsports

Last edited by Sportbiker; 08-10-2020 at 02:16 PM..
Sportbiker is offline   Reply With Quote